suggestions for possible improvement

EN What is Transtrad? Translator to translator. Tools and tips for translation. Questions, problems, mutual help. ES ¿Qué es Transtrad? Entre traductor@s. Herramientas y consejos para traducciones. Preguntas, problemas, ayuda. FR Qu'est-ce que Transtrad ? Traducteurs-trices à Traducteurs-trices. Outils et conseils pour la traduction. Questions, problèmes, aide mutuelle.
mjbolgar

suggestions for possible improvement

Postby mjbolgar » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:42 am

I apoligise in advance if I happen to repeat previous ideas.

1. Translations, common "knowledge bank"
In order to help the consistent use of terms the best thing is not just to collate contralised Lexicons. I believe it is much better to ask the active translators to collate a glossary / corpus of their work for the given project. It is very easy when they're using any of the computer aided translation programmes. Personally I think that the easiest to use is WordFisher. It is a very reliable and by far the cheapest software although it cannot replace as large blocks as the very expensive programmes. But it can handle any Word document. It automatically prepares an indexed glossary which - when later used - automatically pre-translates all translations of a work project. If no translation programme is used it is still good to have glossaries and then get those indexed with WF for project work. Glossaries should be proof-read by volunteers before providing them for additional translators of future projects. This way a common knowledge base could be set up for future reference, fast and reliable work.

2. Interpreting, volunteer organisers
At the November 2003 Paris ESF I was very impressed by the efforts and professionalism of the Babels organisers. However, they seemed to need to work the multiple of what would have been necessary under normal circumstances. This was due to the fact that the conference organisers seemed to be impossible to work with keeping changing / cancelling venues many times just a couple of hours before the events. So the interpreters had to run around looking for their work and frequent imbalances occurred with many of us left alone in the booths without any replacement while at other locations there were extra numbers without work.
I suggest that this should be stopped once and forever. Babels staff should be firm on accepting changes in the programme only until a time they feel manageable and if the conference organisers still make changes Babels should refuse to follow. Unless of course the ESF is willing to provide walky-talkies for each interpreter :-)
Also multi-language colleagues on the spot should be better utilised by making much more use of the possibility provided by relaying among the booths. Booth managers on the spot should be much more active in trying to fill occasional "holes".

3. Late payments / refunds
I believe that it could be very easily resolved if volunteers are asked to provide their bank and other necessary details in advance when they confirm their participation. Best would be a form accessible by everyone via the Internet. The candidate should complete the form which should be then stored in a central computer / on a central server using the simplest data base programme. Babels should also provide well in advance the address / deadline to and by which the supporting documents should be submitted via mail AND NOT CHANGE IT after the conference. It could be a P.O.Box from where - if necessary - Babels could pick up and forward the documents to an address communicated to them later. At the time of the conference, when volunteers pick up their badges / accommodation addresses the confirmation of presence could be done via a local terminal. If any doubt after the conference it can be confirmed with the doubtful cases only and not with all cca. 1000 people as it happened after the Paris ESF.

Return to “TransTrad”