Warning: of lies, coup attempts and dangerous behaviour

EN Discussions on the politics of Babels, alternative interpretation systems, linguistic diversity and the Social Forums
ES Discusiones políticas sobre Babels, sistemas alternativos de interpretación, diversidad lingüística y los foros sociales...
FR Discussions politiques sur Babels, les systèmes d'interprétation alternatifs, la diversité linguistique et les forums sociaux...
yan

Warning: of lies, coup attempts and dangerous behaviour

Postby yan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:59 am

The following text will be translated into Spanish and, hopefully, into other languages as well.

The aim of this text is to clarify the reasons why a growing number of Babels members feel that the Caracas project is doomed because of the participation of certain 'coordinators'.

The purpose of this text is to present evidence of past misdeeds, graft and incompetence, so as to warn new members of the possible dangers of working with these 'coordinators'. This text in NO way seeks to accuse anyone of plotting another coup -- it is serves only as a reminder to those who were ignorant of the facts that have accumulated over the months, that one must be careful before spending a lot of energy working with fellow organizers who can be untruthful or incompetent.

After months of careful deliberation, we decided that it was time to present the facts to the whole network. Babels is strong enough to resist self-criticism. We hope that the following will help the Caracas project go forward.

A coup attempt in Babels!

During a heated discussion before the meeting of the Hemispheric Council (HC) in Cuba in April 2005, Babels members were divided into two groups over the question of horizontality and representativeness.
For the details, please read the posts on the Babels forum:
viewtopic.php?t=405

One group claimed that it was undemocratic to send unelected Babels 'representatives' to a meeting of the HC. This group noted that there was nothing to represent anyways since no project had been submitted and agreed upon by the Babels network regarding the FSM in Caracas. This group also reasoned that it was useless to spend the HC's money to pay for a plane ticket for an unelected 'stand-in' who would have nothing to say, when there are a number of Babels members already in Cuba.
The other group claimed that it was essential for Babels to be in this meeting no matter what, to get a headstart for Caracas. It claimed that issues of representativeness could never be resolved in a horizontal network anyways.

While this debate was going on, two Babels members, Leda B. and Erica R., took it upon themselves to contact the organizers of the meeting to seek funding to cover travel expenses of two Babels members.
A coup attempt ('golpe de estado') was being prepared, as was clearly and triumphantly declared by Erica R. on the yahoo group discussion list for Babels-Rio:
"Há 4 dias um pequeno grupo de colegas do continente americano pelanejam um pequeno "golpe de estado". Fartos da lenga-lenga no fórum do site da Babels acerca de vamos ou não enviar membros da rede para a reunião do Conselho Hemisférico em Cuba - que será a primeira reunião preparatória para o Forum das Americas em Caracas 2006, eu, Denise, Leda Beck (EUA), Robert, Cristina e Rebecca, com o apoio e incentivo de Julie Stoll e Steph (Alemanha e França), passamos por cima da BURROcracia e teimosia da horizontalizada sem pé nem cabeça da Babels e conseguimos a formalização da participação de dois membros."
Source: http://br.groups.yahoo.com/group/babels-rio/message/883

In subsequent discussions, it appeared that Julie Stoll and Steph had NEVER agreed to this coup attempt, and that Erica R. had misled the people on the Babels-Rio mailing list by claiming international support for the coup (note the reference to members of Babels based in Europe).
A recent update of the Babels wiki has uncovered further evidence. The coup attempt was designed as such: the announcement that plane tickets had been purchased despite the opposition of a great part of the network was to be followed by a statement drafted by Leda B. which was going to justify the coup after the fact. Leda B. was aware of the awkwardness of having to justify the unjustifiable.
Among the additional inaccuracies and misleading statements put forth by Erica R. in this post-coup statement, one can quote:
"4. Emails were sent not only to the babels mailing list and to the poacoord mailing list, but also to South-American local coordinators: Gabriela in Peru, Susana in Argentina, Monica. So far they have been silent."
The above-mentioned local coordinators had never received these emails.
"5. This decision is backed-up by over 100 babelitos and babelitas from the Americas, to whom Caracas 2006 speaks directly."
This fails to mention that the 100 were less than 80, and comprised only the Babels-Rio list on yahoo which is, and remains, largely unrepresentative of an international network of 8300 volunteers, not to mention the fact that this group is clearly uninformed of what was going on.

Erica R. had secured a plane ticket from the HC for herself to go to Cuba by wrongfully presenting herself as a representative of Babels. She claimed international support to do this, misleading a number of naive Babels members. When members of the HC found out that she had not been mandated by the Babels network, as she had initially implied, the HC refused to cover her ticket. In the end, she was unable to attend the meeting in Cuba.

After the coup attempt was averted, Babels' reputation in the Americas, already battered by the problems experienced in POA during the 2005 WSF, suffered a new blow.

To start afresh after an acrimonious debate, Yan B. proposed to create a discussion list specifically entitled 'caracas06' to welcome all those who were interested in organizing this event. This list is open to anyone interested in the organization of the project. At present, the list has over 70 subscribers.

In the last few weeks, several people have started creating workgroups to deal with specific logistical issues. The first group to emerge was the 'Travel workgroup', led by Leda B. A separate discussion list was created for this workgroup.

A second scandal

Some time later, senior Babels members in the Americas and in Europe were contacted by several organizations: ABONG (Brazilian Association of NGOs) and the Hemispheric Council. These organizations were furious because someone had contacted a travel agency in Brazil (Tory Travel Agency) and inquired about plane tickets for Caracas *in the name of ABONG and the Hemispheric Council*. The person who had impersonated these organizations without informing either them or Babels was Erica R.

Babels' reputation has suffered another blow.

The above report is based on hard evidence which points to a pattern of misrepresentation. What follows are a few elements that surfaced after the 2005 WSF in POA and might be akin to fraud.

Several Babels participants from Rio who had been 'selected' by Erica R. subsequently confessed that either:
-they had never met Erica R.;
-they were actually accompanying their boyfriend/girlfriend; and/or
-they had no experience as interpreters.

To add insult to injury, several members of the Rio delegation, headed by Erica R., requested preferential treatment for accommodation, including cable TV and even asked if "there was any paid work available as interpreters during the forum".

To date, no other regional delegation, either from Brazil or elsewhere in the world, has ever had such a number of irregularities. Other Babels organizers who had worked for the 2005 WSF were startled by these revelations, as Erica R. had always presented herself as a super-headhunter, capable of finding and recruiting the best interpreters in Brazil. In the end, there was a huge gap between her claims and the real facts.

Our responsibility

Babels, as a horizontal and international network, is in no position to exclude any of its members. This would not only be wrong, it would be counter-productive. Despite the above irregularities, which would warrant serious (possibly legal) action in other circumstances, Leda B. or Erica R. cannot be excluded. What has been described above is much more serious than just character flaws. And yet, many people agree that Leda B. and Erica R. have spent a lot of energy for Babels and that it would be unfair to ask them to abandon Babels altogether.

To avoid further problems, to guarantee the privacy and integrity of the thousands of Babels members who have registered with Babels and entrusted us with their personal data, to infuse a greater sense of calm and purpose to the group working on Caracas, we propose that both Leda B. and Erica R. step down from the following workgroups or refrain from participating in the following tasks:
-travel (1)
-selection (2)
-political representation (3).

Point (1): because we cannot guarantee that having access to the travel workgroup would not lead to a new series of irregularities, as has been witnessed by the coup attempt in April 2005 and the scandal of the Tory Travel Agency. We do not wish Babels to be accused of fraud or graft after the Caracas forum.
Point (2): because the selection work for POA in 2005 was marred by false information. This cost the POA coordination time, money and efforts. The Rio delegation was the only delegation to withdraw, at the last minute, over 15% of its volunteers, and a number of the remaining volunteers were not even interpreters. We do not wish to see the Caracas forum live through the same problems.
Point (3): despite their claims to the contrary, Leda B. and Erica R. have very regularly misrepresented themselves as 'the voice of the majority'. We cannot risk to promote people who would represent us in official meetings when they do not respect horizontality and transparency in their dealings with their fellow Babels members. Leda B.'s paranoid attitude towards a number of experienced Babels former organizers is also unacceptable and insulting. The best proof is her twisted tale concerning a manifesto that was posted on the Babels forum for all to discuss. Leda B. proposed to write a "counter-manifesto", weaving her tale with a number of inaccuracies and paranoid attacks.
Source: http://br.groups.yahoo.com/group/babels-rio/message/980

A constructive proposal

Other tasks in which Leda B. and Erica R. could do marvels, where they to select one or several of them in their desire to support the organization of the Caracas forum:
-coordinating the translation of internal documents (documents sent out by Babels to other Babels members)
-coordinating the translation of official documents sent by the HC, FSA and Caracas FSM to Babels in the run-up, during and after the forum.
-answering messages on the Babels forum and moderating the forum.

It is important for the Caracas06 Babels workgroup to be in a position to inspire trust and commitment to others in Babels and to the organizers of the Caracas forum, instead of fostering mistrust and accusations of misrepresentation. If we all find something useful to do within the confines of our abilities, we believe that we can go forward.

Because we feel concerned, we could not remain silent any more. This is why we thought it best to warn other people in Babels, all the while trying to propose something constructive for the network.
Yan, Mónica, Bettina, Axel, Laurent, Fernanda et alii

yan

reply from Robert / respuesta de Robert

Postby yan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:26 pm

EN : Please find below Robert's reaction to this post.
Robert: I'm sorry that you take things this way. I feel that we can all help each other out, but that it was important to disclose some elements to other Babels members to avoid the same problems in the future. Many of us were tired of hiding from the others the facts disclosed above for the sake of 'forgiveness' and 'the greater good'. I'm tired of lies, manipulation and hate -- seriously.
We are not here to judge. The message on the forum presents some hard-to-swallow facts. What are we going do about it? This is what I'd like to know. Let us all find a constructive and inclusive solution together. I hope you will help.
yan

ES: A continuación, la reacción de Robert.
Robert: me apena que tomes las cosas así. Me parece que todos podemos ayudarnos los unos a los otros, pero era imprescindible comunicarles ciertos elementos para evitar nuevos problemas. Eramos varios quien estabamos hartos de esconder los hechos que presentamos aquí, porque creemos en 'perdonar' y en 'el bien común'. . Estoy harto de manipulaciones, mentiras y odio, lo digo sinceramente.
No estamos aquí para juzgar. El mensaje el el foro presenta hechos descomunales. ¿Qué podemos hacer ahora? Esto es lo que quisiera saber. Intentemos encontrar una solución constructiva e inclusiva juntos. Espero que puedas ayudarnos.
yan

----------------

PT/EN
PT
Yan e todos que assinaram o documento wiki em questão,
Estive envolvido como voluntario em Babels por dois anos e pouco agora e eu nunca me iludi que não existe nenhuma hierarquia - claro que existe, para saber quem faz parte só precisa ver quem coordena a maioria ou todos os grandes events. Para mim, isso não é problema, embora nunca foram eleitos democraticamente (é mais conviniente ter uma 'estrutura horizontal de liderança', pois dá para manejar o poder sem ser responsabilizado), enquanto funcionou, eu estava feliz.
A participação de Babels em eventos está manchada com certos problemas repetidos desde o inicio, e cada um tem a sua perspectiva sobre a causa, eu não vou entrar em detalhes aqui, já expus a minha posição(como interprete profissional e como organizador de eventos com mais de 2000 eventos de experiencia) em varias ocasiões. O fato é que a nossa organização faz jus ao seu nome - Babels (Confusões). Uma hierarquia VISIVEL e democraticamente eleita traria responsabilização e ajudaria resolver alguns destes problems, mas deixe para lá...
Se a Erica, outros e eu estavamos tentando fazer um 'golpe de estado', então deve existir um 'estado', certo? O que muitos dentro de Babels vem tentando fazer é realizar reformas praticas em Babels para que possa interagir mais positivamente nos Foros Sociais Mundiais. Até usei a frase em POA2005, 'Outro Babels é possivel' - e não é? Ou será que o status quo acha que as coisas estão boas como estão, exceto por aqueles dissidentes chatos dentro do grupo como Erica, eu e outros.
Acho que pelo menos se mostraram quem são, a liderança invisivel de Babels. Assumem seus papeis.
Espero que esteja enganado, mas esta declaração, em conjunto com os nossos pedidos de ajuda ignorados, parece uma armadilha onde vocês possam deixar fracassar o FSM Venezuela, para poder culpar os dissidentes dentro do grupo.
Entrei no Babels por um desejo puro de ajudar o FSM alançar as suas metas, mas esta mesquinharia no grupo me lembra de certas igrejas que conheci. Então, acho que farei o que fiz em relação a elas, sair.
Não pretendo mais participar em Babels. Desejo bem a todos e que o grupo possa assumir a realidade em vez de manobrar atras dos bastidores buscando poder. Senão, o FSM terá que encontrar outro meio de preencher as suas necessidades de serviços linguisticos.
Ainda desejo me manter em contato com as muitas pessoas maravilhosas que conheci ao longo dos anos. Vocês tem o meu email. Favor sentem-se a vontade me contatar em qualquer momento a cerca de qualquer assunto.
Yan, poderia fazer a gentileza de publicar isso junto com a sua declaração e deletar os meus dados do base de dados e de todas as listas de discussão? Obrigado.
Adeus e tudo de bom,
Robert Finnegan

EN
Yan and all who signed the wiki document in question, I've been involved as a volunteer in Babels for 2 years or so now, and I have never been under the illusion that no hierarchy exists - it does exist, to know who it is one only needs to see who is coordinating most or all of the larger events. That is not a problem to me, even though they were not elected democratically (it is very convenient to have a 'horizontal leadership structure', since you can wield power with no accountability), as long as things worked, I wasd happy.
Babel's participation in events has had certain nagging problems from the outset, and everyone has their own view as to why, I won't go into this here, I've stated my view (as a professional interpreter and event organizer with over 2000 events experience) many times. The fact remains that our organization lives up to its name - Babels (Confusions). A democratically elected VISIBLE hierarchy would bring accountability and help resolve some of these problems, but never mind...
If Erica, others and I were attempting a 'coup d´etat' then there must be a 'etat', am I right? What many within Babels have been trying to do is to perform practical reforms in Babels for it to interact more positively in the Social Forums. I even used the phrase in POA2005, 'Another Babels is possible' - isn't it? Or does the status quo feel things are fine as they are, except for those pesky reformers like Erica, myself and others. I feel that you have at least shown yourselves for who you are, Babels' invisible leadership. Assume your roles.
I hope I am wrong, but this statement, along with our ignored requests for help, feels like a set up where you can let WSF Venezuela fail, and blame the dissidents within your group.
I joined Babels purely out of a desire to help the WSF meet its goals, but the backbiting within the group is reminding me of some churches I know. So, I think I'll do what I did with them, leave.
I no longer intend to participate in Babels. I wish you all well and that the group can come to grips with reality instead of maneuvering for power behind the scenes. Otherwise, the WSF will have to find another way to meet its need for language services.
I wish to remain in contact with the many wonderful people I've met over the years. You have my email. Please feel free to contact me at any time about anything.
Yan, could you be so kind as to post this together with your statement and delete me from the database and all mailing lists? Thank you.
Goodbye and Godspeed,
Robert Finnegan

Karla

About the horizontal organisation of Babels...

Postby Karla » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:45 pm

My name is Karla and I am from Caracas-Venezuela.
I personally think that the horizontal organisation of Babels is a very utopic idea. If you don't agree with me, then just take a look at the mess that occurred in the Hemispheric Council in Cuba. No one went because Babels is a horizontal organisation!!?? I think that Babels should have an elected representation. The situation will improve dramatically and the work of Babels will be more effective. Of course, we must elect responsible people, who have a sense of ethics in our profession as interpreters.
In conclusion, I think Babels should stop the utopia and beging to be practical.

Karla, Venezuela

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:51 pm

Hello Karla

My name is Laurent and I am from Paris in France. I do agree with you it is a very "utopic idea", but I do not think we are agreeing right now in the definition of the "utopia". The goal is not to achieve an "utopia". On the contrary it is quite the opposite.

Anyhow in the structural form you are mentioning you will not have the right to vote and you will be represented by people that won't have any link with you. For what reason? Only one, you are a new arrived person that is willing to do. Therefore in any legal entity that is existing, you will only have the right to execute which is the 0 level of participation.

On the other hand, we have no member therefore no "citizen" but at the same time we have no "illegal alien". Internationaly at the moment there is no legal structure that is recognized and that will link a direct representativity with direct members. We do not have even the same legal entity recognized in any of our countries: our association 1901 in France is corresponding to Charities in the UK with great differences, to NGO in other parts and so on. There are not even bind by the same type of regulation and are not linked with the same social history: No way you will have people in France participating in NGO because it means something quite different from "association". We have all the same differences.

The reality for me is thinking that people can all act in "good faith" which involves trust. This issue for me is quite puzzling because it proves to be quite difficult to resolve when "lies" and "manipulative strategies" are used. If we are talking efficiency, lying is much more efficient: it is used by our head of states, coporate CEOs (elected by the board) and so on. This is not meaning that I vouch for this "efficiency" which has its Forum, called the Economic World Forum held in Davos.

The matter discussed here for me is not representativity but self-regulation. Anyhow in any representative structural form there are cases of "trust break". It happened to Nixon. Here it is happening between equal individuals. How can we deal about it positively ?

Karla

about representation...

Postby Karla » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:21 pm

I never said that Babels should not a non-elected representation. Read again what i wrote. I said we all must elect the leaders of the organisation. In any organisation is important to have a leader (s), otherwise people will end up doing what they want with no coordination whatsoever. Of course, these leaders will be the best qualified people to fulfill this task.

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:43 am

Probably I did not write in a clear fashion. Yes I do agree that you said that you were believing that we need representatives or elected something. But:

1- I do not see how thi issue is linked with the one in the first place. But even if it was, then election or no election we have to deal with something quite different. Nixon was elected, like any CEOs or any transnational corporation. It is not the problem of election but of self-regulation which is an issue you are encountering as well in structures based on elected representation.

2- As a new comer people will have no right or the one to take your "citizenship" which is often a fee-linked membership which give you the right to vote at a time of the election. Participation will be therefore only a matter of paying a membership card. Furthermore the issue we are having right now will still exist.

3- Since there are no international legal body existing now which enable legal structure for people to associate with each other and then of directly electing someone, I do not even know what we are talking about exactly.

Do not worry, even without leaders the hell is not a certain thing :-) It worked pretty well in the past years, it allowed many people to participate, many processes to start, many many interesting things to happen. And it still continues...

esa

uma simpleresposta / one simple reply / una simples contesta

Postby esa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:26 pm

PT

Tendo em vista a recente campanha de desqualificação da competência da coordenação do grupo Babels-Rio, com o objetivo de esclarecer eventuais dúvidas aqui suscitadas de forma leviana e torpe, limito-me a reproduzir a íntegra do relatório final das atividades relacionadas à ida dos voluntários cariocas à POA em janeiro deste ano.

Coloco-me desde já à disposição para esclarecer eventuais dúvidas que porventura sejam julgadas necessárias acerca do assunto.

Atenciosamente,
Erica Resende (aka Erica R.)
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Relatório: Erica Resende e Rebecca Atkinson

O processo de mobilização no Rio de Janeiro começou no final de outubro, em uma reunião no IBASE sobre a apresentação do projeto da Babels. Estavam presentes cerca de 10 intérpretes profissionais, sendo que Pascal era o então responsável pela coordenação local. Decidimos motivar outros colegas que atuam o mercado do Rio e marcamos um novo encontro para início de novembro.

A fim de facilitar a comunicação entre os intérpretes, decidimos abrir um grupo no site Yahoo. Nosso objetivo era mobilizar cerca de 40 a 50 profissionais do Rio de Janeiro dentre colegas atuantes no mercado e ex-alunos das escolas de interpretação cariocas.

Em início de novembro, percebemos que poucos haviam se inscrito no site como voluntários, pois deixaram de receber os emails de confirmação de participação no FSM. Fizemos uma convocatória geral para que todos os interessados se inscrevessem no site e regularizassem sua ficha no banco de dados. Escolhemos Erica Resende para ir a Porto Alegre para a reunião do CI.

Somente em Porto Alegre tomamos ciência da plenitude da rede Babels, os projetos paralelos como Lexicon, a parceria com Nomad, os instrumentos de comunicação, o banco de dados, etc. Na reunião seguinte, decidimos aumentar a mobilização para atingir o número de 60 voluntários, passando a incluir estudantes de interpretação, além dos profissionais.

Por outro lado, devido ao sucesso da comunicação via Yahoo, foi rejeitado o uso das ferramentas de comunicação da Babels por diversos motivos (falta de familiaridade com ferramentas de TI, consenso em relação à eficácia da comunicação na lista Yahoo, excesso de emails e comunicados de outras regiões, “tecnofobia”, entre outros). No entanto, tivemos o cuidado de sempre colocar uma cópia das atas de nossas reuniões e principais comunicados no site da Babels, na parte destinada ao Brasil. O responsável por essa tarefa foi Juan Doblas, que trabalhou em parceria com Luis Gustavo em SP. Dessa forma qualquer membro da rede poderia, caso interessado, informar-se acerca de nossas atividades.

Devido à decisão de concentrar a seleção em profissionais e alunos de interpretação, treinamento foi deixado em segundo plano. Tal decisão também foi alimentada pelo fato de que não pudemos contar com o apoio de uma instituição que nos oferecesse um local apropriado para treinamento de interpretação.

Paralelamente, nosso coordenador Pascal desligou-se do projeto por razões profissionais. Erica Resende assumiu suas funções, contando com a ajuda de Marcelo Neves. Diversos outros intérpretes ficaram responsáveis pelo processo de avaliação e treinamento de voluntários sem experiência.

Com o aumento de nossa cota de 60 para 90 pessoas, e devido à demanda de nativos de alemão, italiano e outros idiomas, decidimos selecionar voluntários não-profissionais a partir do banco de dados da Babels. Dos cerca de 180 voluntários (números de novembro) residentes na região do Rio de Janeiro, selecionamos cerca de 50 nomes de não profissionais que apresentavam um perfil adequado ao evento (nativos de PT, EN, FR, DE e IT com conhecimento passivo de pelo menos duas línguas estrangeiras).

Todos foram convidados par uma sessão de avaliação realizada em dezembro. Dividimos o contingente conforme combinação lingüística. A avaliação foi feita por um intérprete profissional nativo de cada idioma (Pascal e Annie, FR; Rebecca e Erica, EN; Luciana Ache e Kena, ES). Por falta de intérpretes profissionais nativos de IT e DE, não foi possível fazer uma avaliação mais sólida dos voluntários sem experiência nativos desses idiomas.

Somente em janeiro conseguimos utilizar uma sala do IBASE, mas, devido às férias escolares, festas de fim de ano e compromissos profissionais dos intérpretes, o treinamento foi insuficiente. No total promovemos cerca de 8 sessões de avaliação/treinamento, com um intérprete profissional como instrutor e cerca de 4 a 5 iniciantes.

Devemos ressaltar que nas primeiras semanas de janeiro recebemos um número enorme de candidatos de última hora, fazendo com que o número de voluntários pulasse de 180 para cerca de 220. A adesão de novos voluntários somente foi aceita em casos excepcionais: nativos de FR, HE, AR ou profissionais que aderiram à mobilização.

Da cota estabelecida de 90 voluntários, mobilizamos 35 profissionais nativos de PT (23), ES (2), EN (5), FR (2), DE (2), e RU (1), sendo que dos 22 intérpretes nativos de PT, cerca de 15 encontravam-se qualificados para trabalhar em cabines de EN e FR. Esses nomes foram encaminhados por email a Laurent e German no início de janeiro. Os demais voluntários eram formados por iniciantes nativos de PT, IT, DE e HE, aprovados nas sessões de avaliação promovidas pelos intérpretes profissionais responsáveis por cada língua passiva testada.

Paralelamente, buscamos selecionar iniciantes que, além do domínio das línguas estrangeiras, apresentavam atributos diferenciais como graduação ou pós-graduação em Economia, Sociologia, Ciência Política, Relações Internacionais, etc. e tradutores qualificação e/ou experiência em interpretação simultânea.

Por decisão consensual entre os dois coordenadores e os cinco intérpretes responsáveis pela avaliação, selecionamos cerca de 5 voluntários que, apesar de não apresentarem os atributos exigidos, deveriam ser encorajados a participar de uma experiência como o FSM. A idéia da criação de uma cota nesse sentido havia sido discutida e acordada em reuniões anteriores no Rio. Essas pessoas, por não estarem aptas a fazer interpretação, foram direcionadas para coordenação de sala e outras tarefas de coordenação. A lista contendo esses nomes foi transmitida a Laurent e Yan.

Como aspecto negativo do processo de seleção e treinamento, ressaltamos a falta de espaço adequado para a realização de treinamento (as duas escolas de interpretação opuseram-se ao empréstimo das salas de treinamento), o calendário de fim de ano - que coincide com o fim de ano letivo, férias de diversos voluntários que deixaram de responder emails em tempo hábil, festas de fim de ano, etc., e a ausência de material de treinamento em PT no cd preparado pela Ecos (os iniciantes nativos de IT, DE, HE, FR, EN e ES não tiveram acesso a conferências gravadas em PT para interpretar para seus respectivos idiomas. As soluções alternativas encontradas (gravações de vídeo e rádio) não foram satisfatórias.

Como aspecto positivo, destacamos o alto número de profissionais mobilizados no Rio de Janeiro. Esse número poderia ter atingido cerca de 50, mas muitos desistiram por compromissos profissionais assumidos na semana do FSM, e, sobretudo, por falta de definição acerca de hospedagem e emissão de passagem. Entendemos que a mobilização de cerca de 60 a 80 intérpretes profissionais no Rio de Janeiro seja possível nos próximos dois anos.

Finalmente, devemos comentar a questão de hospedagem e passagem. As passagens somente começaram a ser emitidas ente 18 e 21 de janeiro, coincidindo com o feriado de 20 de janeiro no Rio de Janeiro e a apenas 4 dias da data prevista de chegada em Porto Alegre. Nesse sentido, e devido ao ferido municipal em SP no dia 25, a coordenadora local foi obrigada a supervisionar a emissão de cerca de 90 passagens - com as respectivas e inevitáveis alterações de horários - em um período de 96 horas.

Paralelamente, devido ao feriado prolongado no Rio de Janeiro (de quinta a domingo), diversos voluntários encontravam-se fora da cidade e sem acesso a internet. Por essa razão, diversos e-tickets não foram recebidos a tempo para embarque, voluntários perderam vôo, etc. Além disso, como a emissão foi bastante tardia, não foi possível obter os melhores preços e datas de vôo mais apropriadas. Acabamos chegando um ou dois dias depois do ideal e partindo dois a três dias depois do necessário, o que gerou despesas extras de hospedagem.

Nossa sugestão nesse sentido é localizar e dar autonomia ao processo de emissão de bilhetes a fim de obter melhores preços como vôo de grupo e não bilhetes individuais. Além disso, torna-se menos problemático e preocupante para quem aguarda uma definição acerca da ida ou não ao FSM.

Avaliação e recomendações:

1. O grupo de 90 voluntários foi muito grande e diverso. Pretendemos fazer uma avaliação sobre a participação de forma a enxugar o grupo de voluntários cariocas, buscando elevar o número de intérpretes profissionais participantes. Já estamos trabalhando nesse sentido. Nosso objetivo é atingir 60 intérpretes em 2 anos. Tal decisão representa nossa opção por qualidade e versalitilidade lingüística em vez de quantidade de voluntários. Para tanto motivaremos nossos colegas cariocas a aderirem à Babels e faremos mobilização nas escolas de interpretação cariocas (o que não foi feito desta vez).

2. Voluntários sem experiência que se destacaram em Porto Alegre, mostrando potencial para a interpretação simultânea, serão considerados e incentivados a fazer treinamento mais intensivo para futuros eventos do FSM.

3. A totalidade dos intérpretes profissionais cariocas lamentou não ter feito mais turnos, pois entendiam que poderiam ter trabalhado 3 turnos por dia. A percepção é a de que o FSM é um evento atípico, que não pode ser submetido a uma comparação com eventos tradicionais do mercado de interpretação brasileiro. Por essas razões é grande a disposição em trabalhar um pouco mais do que os iniciantes. Tal argumento se justifica ainda mais quando percebemos que um dos critérios para a hospedagem foi reservar os quartos em hotel para os profissionais porque eles teriam uma carga de trabalho maior do que os demais, necessitando, portanto, de mais repouso.

4. Dar mais autonomia a coordenação local com relação à emissão de passagem, hospedagem, acolhida , etc. Somente aqueles que encontram-se no nível local têm conhecimento sobre suas próprias necessidades e sobre as melhores opções para transporte, por exemplo.

5. Acreditamos que a percepção geral do FSM como uma experiência positiva para os intérpretes profissionais possa motivar nossos colegas cariocas a aderir à rede, vencendo, dessa forma, a resistência e a ameaça de retaliação anunciada. Por essa razão, em vez de direcionar recursos e energias para o treinamento de iniciantes, pretendemos dar início a uma campanha de esclarecimento ao mercado profissional local, de forma e motivar e mobilizar um número maior de profissionais locais. A superação dos problemas decorrentes da emissão tardia de passagens e da indefinição quanto ao local de hospedagem já motivaria um contingente de quase 10 profissionais.

6. Finalmente, desejamos nos unir mais aos grupos locais brasileiros, mais especificamente região Sul, SP e Nordeste (já existe uma intensa aliança entre Rio, Centro-Oeste e Norte). Entendemos que deveria haver um maior intercâmbio de idéias e informações entre esses grupos para que possamos deixar de ser percebidos como Babels Rio, Babels SP, Babel Centro-Oeste, etc., para sermos Babels Brasil.

EN

Due to the recent disqualifying campaign against the competence of the coordination of Babels-Rio, and in an attempt to clarify any doubts herein presented in a vile and petty way, I limit myself to reproduce here the full content of the debriefing report from Babels-Rio concerning our participation at POA.

I remain at your entire disposal to clarify any additional doubts that may arise on this matter.

Sincerely,
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Report: Erica Resende and Rebecca Atkinson

The mobilization process in Rio de Janeiro began in late October in a meeting at IBASE where the Babels project was presented. Some 10 professional interpreters were present, at that time with Pascal responsible for local coordination. We decided to motivate other colleagues working in Rio and we scheduled another meeting for the beginning of November. In order to facilitate communication amongst interpreters, we decided to open a discussion group on the Yahoo site. Our objective was to mobilize some 40 to 50 professionals from Rio de Janeiro amongst colleagues active in the market and former students of local interpreting schools.

In early November, we realized that few people had registered at the site as volunteers, as they had not received email confirmations of their participation in the WSF. We made a general call to all those interested to register at the site and to update their records in the database. We chose Erica Resende to go to Porto Alegre for the IC meeting.

We only became aware of the size of the Babels network in Porto Alegre, with its parallel projects such as Lexicon, partnership with Nomad, communication instruments, database, etc. At the next meeting, we decided to step up mobilization to reach the number of 60 volunteers, and decided to include interpreting students in addition to professionals.

Meanwhile, due to the success of our communication via the Yahoo site, the use of Babels communications tools was rejected for a number of reasons (lack of familiarity with IT tools, consensus regarding effectiveness of communication via the Yahoo list, excessive number of emails and communications from other regions, ’technophobia’, etc.). Nonetheless, we made sure to always copy the minutes of our meetings and major communications to the Babels site, in the part dedicated to Brazil. The person responsible for this task was Juan Doblas, who worked together with Luis Gustavo in São Paulo. This ensured that any member of the network could, if interested, become informed regarding our activities.

Due to a decision to concentrate selection on professionals and interpreting students, training of interpreters was given second place. A further factor in deciding thus was the fact that we had no support institution that could offer us an adequate location for interpreter training.

During this period our coordinator, Pascal, had to leave the project for professional reasons. Erica Resende took over his tasks, with the help of Marcelo Neves. Several other interpreters took responsibility for the assessment and training process of the inexperienced volunteers.

When our quota rose from 60 to 90 persons, and given the demand for native speakers of German, Italian and other languages, we decided to select non-professional volunteers from the Babels database. We selected some 50 names of non-professionals from the nearly 180 volunteers (numbers from November) that lived in the Rio de Janeiro area, whose profiles matched the needs of the event (native speakers of PT, EN, FR, DE and IT with passive knowledge of at least two foreign languages). All were invited to an assessment session held in December. We divided those present according to language combinations.

Assessment was conducted by professional interpreters who were native speakers in each language (Pascal and Annie, FR; Rebecca and Erica, EN; Luciana Ache and Kena, ES) We were unable to perform a more reliable assessment of inexperienced native speakers in IT and DE due to a lack of professional interpreters who were native speakers of those languages.

Only in January were we able to utilize a room at IBASE, but, due to the school holidays, end of year festivities and professional commitments of interpreters, training was insufficient. In all, we were able to hold 8 assessment/training sessions, with a professional interpreter as instructor and some 4 or 5 beginners in each.

We should mention that we received a huge number of last minute candidates during the first weeks of January, making the number of volunteers jump from 180 to 220. The inclusion of these new volunteers was only accepted in exceptional cases: native speakers of FR, HE, AR or professional interpreters.

Out of our quota of 90 volunteers, we managed to mobilize 35 professionals who were native speakers of PT (23), ES (2), EN (5), FR (2), DE (2), and RU (1), with 15 of the 22 interpreters who were native speakers of PT able to also work in EN and FR booths. We sent the list of names by email to Laurent and German in early January.

The remaining volunteers were beginners who were native speakers of PT, IT, DE and HE, approved in the assessment sessions conducted by professional interpreters responsible for each passive language tested.
Simultaneously, we sought to select beginners who, in addition to mastering foreign languages, had other differentiating traits such as undergraduate or graduate degrees in Economics, Sociology, Political Science, International Relations, etc in addition to qualification as translators and/or conference interpreting experience.

In a consensus decision among the two coordinators and five interpreters responsible for assessment, we selected some 5 volunteers who, despite the fact that they lacked the required traits, should be encouraged to participate in an experience such as the WSF. The idea of setting up a quota of this type had been discussed and agreed upon in previous meetings in Rio. These individuals, not suited to act as interpreters, were assigned as room coordinators and to other coordinating activities. The list containing these names was transmitted to Laurent and Yan.

We must mention the lack of a suitable location to conduct training as a negative aspect of the selection and training process (two interpreting schools refused to lend us their training rooms), as well as the end-of-year calendar of activities - which coincided with the end of the school year, end of year festivities, vacation for several volunteers who failed to answer emails in a timely manner, etc, in addition to the lack of training material in PT on the CD prepared by Ecos (beginning native speakers of IT, DE, HE, FR, EN and ES had no access to conferences recorded in PT to interpret into their respective languages. The alternative solutions found (video and radio recordings) were not satisfactory.

As a positive aspect, we would note the large number of professional interpreters mobilized in Rio de Janeiro. We could have reached as high a number as 50, if several had not pulled out due to professional commitments assumed the week the WSF was held, principally because of the lack of definition regarding housing and issuing of tickets. We feel that in the next two years it will be possible to mobilize some 60 to 80 professional interpreters from Rio de Janeiro.

Lastly, we must comment on the issue of housing and tickets. Tickets only began to be issued from January 18th to 21st, coinciding with the holiday in Rio de Janeiro and only 4 days before the planned arrival date in Porto Alegre. Therefore, and also due to a municipal holiday in São Paulo on January 25th, local coordinators were obliged to oversee the issue of some 90 tickets - with their respective and unavoidable alterations of flight schedules - all in a period of 96 hours.

Concurrently, due to the long holiday in Rio de Janeiro (Thursday to Sunday), several volunteers were out of town and had no internet access. [b]This resulted in many tickets not being received in time for departure, volunteers missing flights, etc. Furthermore, with such late purchase of tickets, better prices and more amenable flight schedules were not possible. We ended up arriving one or two days later than what would have been ideal and leaving two or three days later than necessary, which generated additional lodging expenses.

Our suggestion on this point is to make issuing of tickets more localized and with greater autonomy in order better prices such as group flights instead of individual tickets. Moreover, this would create fewer problems and less concern for those awaiting a definition as to whether or not they would be participating in the WSF.

Assessment and recommendations:

1. The group of 90 volunteers was very large and quite diverse. Our intention is to conduct an assessment on their participation in order to streamline the group of Rio volunteers, seeking to increase the number of participating professional interpreters. We have already begun doing this. Our objective is to reach the number of 60 interpreters in 2 years. This decision represents our option to seek quality and linguistic diversity instead of quantity of volunteers. We shall therefore encourage our Rio colleagues to become part of Babels and mobilize in local interpreting schools (which was not done this time).

2. Inexperienced volunteers who did well in Porto Alegre and who demonstrate potential in conference interpreting will be considered and encouraged to undertake more intensive training for future WSF events.

3. All of the local professional interpreters lamented not having worked more shifts, as their understanding was that they could have worked 3 shifts a day. The perception is that the WSF is an atypical event and cannot be subject to comparison to traditional events in the Brazilian interpreting market. This is the reason behind the desire to work a little more than the beginners. This argument is further justified when we see that one of the criteria for lodging was to reserve hotel rooms for professionals as these would carry a larger load of the work than others, therefore needing more rest.

4. Providing greater autonomy to local coordinators regarding issuing of tickets, lodging, welcome, etc. Only people at the local level know about the needs of that level and the best options for transportation, for example.

5. We believe that the general perception of the WSF as a positive experience for professional interpreters can motivate our local colleagues to also join the network, thus overcoming the resistance and threat of retaliation that was announced. Therefore, instead of directing resources and energy into training beginners, we intend to begin a campaign of clarification with the local professional market, in order to motivate and mobilize a larger number of local professionals. If we were to overcome problems arising from late issue of tickets and lack of definition regarding lodging, we could gain some 10 more professionals.

6. Lastly, we wish to straiten ties with other local Brazilian groups, specifically regions South, São Paulo and the Northeast (an intense partnership already exists between regions Rio, Mid-West and North). We believe that a greater exchange of ideas and information should take place amongst these groups so that we can move away from being perceived as Babels Rio, Babels SP, Babel Mid-West, etc., to become Babels Brazil.

ES

De acuerdo con la reciente campaña de disqualificacción acerca de la competencia de la coordinación del grupo Babels–Rio, y con la intención de aclarar eventuales dudas acá presentadas de manera liviana y torpe, limitome a reproducir la íntegra del informe final de actividades relacionadas a la participación del grupo de voluntarios cariocas en POA.
Estoy a la disposición para aclarar eventuales dudas que por causalidad sean consideradas necesarias acerca del tema.

Saludos,
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Informe: Erica Resende y Rebecca Atkinson

El proceso de movilización en Río De Janeiro comenzó en el final de octubre, en la presentación del proyecto de Babels en el IBASE. Estaban presentes cerca de 10 intérpretes profesionales, siendo Pascal el coordinador local. Decidimos motivar a otros colegas que actúan el mercado de Rio y se acordó una nueva reunión para el principio de noviembre. Para facilitar la comunicación entre los intérpretes, decidimos abrir un grupo en el sitio Yahoo. Nuestro objetivo era para movilizar entre 40 y 50 profesionales de Río de Janeiro entre colegas actuantes en el mercado y ex-alumnos de las escuelas de interpretación de la ciudad.

En el inicio de noviembre, percibimos que había pocas personas alistadas en el ‘site’ de la babels como voluntarios en relación a las personas listadas en el grupo Yahoo, pues esas personas no recibieron la serie de emails de confirmación de participación en el FSM. Hicimos entonces una convocatoria general pidiendo a todos los interesados que entrasen en el sitio y regularizasen su ficha en la base de datos. Elegimos a Erica Resende para ir a Porto Alegre para la reunión del CI.

Fue solo en Porto Alegre que tomamos conciencia de la plenitud de la red de Babels, de los proyectos paralelos como Léxicon, de la asociación con NOMADS, de los instrumentos de comunicación, de la base de datos, del etc. En la reunión siguiente decidimos aumentar la movilización para alcanzar el número de 60 voluntarios, comenzando a incluir estudiantes de interpretación además de los profesionales. Por otra parte debido al éxito de la comunicación por Yahoo, fue rechazado el uso de las herramientas de comunicación del Babels por razones diversas (falta de la familiaridad con las herramientas de TI, exceso de emails y comunicados de otras regiones, consenso en relación a la eficacia del grupo Yahoo, ‘tecnofobia’…). Sin embargo, tuvimos siempre cuidado en poner una copia de las actas de nuestras reuniones y de los principales comunicados en el sitio de Babels, en el sector destinado al Brasil. El responsable para esta tarea fue Juan Doblas, que trabajó junto con Luis Gustavo en SP. De esta forma cualquier miembro de la red podría, en caso de que estuviese interesado, estar informado en lo referente a nuestras actividades.

Debido a la decisión concentrar la selección en los profesionales y en los alumnos de interpretación, el entrenamiento fue dejado en segundo plano. Tal decisión también fue reforzada por el hecho de no disponer de la ayuda de una institución que pudiese ofrecer un lugar apropiado para las prácticas de interpretación.

De forma paralela, nuestro coordinador Pascal se desvinculó del proyecto por razones profesionales. Erica Resende asumió sus funciones, contando con la ayuda de Marcelo Neves. Otros intérpretes fueron designados responsables del proceso de la evaluación y del entrenamiento de voluntarios sin experiencia.

Con el aumento de nuestro contingente de 60 para 90 personas, y debido a la demanda de nativos de alemán, de italiano y de otros idiomas, decidimos seleccionar a no-profesionales entre los voluntarios de la base de datos del Babels. De los de cerca de 180 voluntarios (números de noviembre) disponibles en la región de Río De Janeiro, seleccionamos cerca de 50 nombres de no profesionales que presentaron un perfil adecuado al evento (nativos de PT, EN, FR, DE y IT con conocimiento pasivo de por lo menos dos idiomas extranjeros). Todos fueron invitados a una sesión de evaluación que se llevó a cabo en diciembre.

Dividimos el contingente según las diferentes combinaciones lingüísticas. La evaluación fue hecha por un intérprete profesional nativo de cada lengua (Pascal y Annie, francés; Rebecca y Erica, EN; Luciana Ache y Kena, ES). Debido a la falta de los intérpretes profesionales nativos de IT y DE, no fue posible hacer una evaluación más sólida de los voluntarios nativos de estas idiomas sin experiencia.

Solamente en enero conseguimos usar una sala del IBASE, pero debido a las vacaciones escolares, a las fiestas de fin de año y a los compromisos profesionales de los intérpretes, el entrenamiento fue insuficiente. En total promovemos cerca de 8 sesiones de evaluación/entrenamiento, con un intérprete profesional como instructor y 4 o 5 alumnos debutantes.

Debemos subrayar que en las primeras semanas de enero recibimos un número enorme de candidatos de última hora, haciendo que el número de voluntarios pasase de 180 para cerca de 220. La adhesión de nuevos voluntarios fue aceptada solamente en casos excepcionales: nativos de FR, HE, AR o profesionales que adhiriesen a la movilización.

Del contingente establecido de 90 voluntarios, movilizamos a 35 profesionales nativos de PT (23), de ES (2), EN (5), FR (2), DE (2), y RU (1), siendo que de los 22 intérpretes nativos PT, cerca de 15 estaban plenamente calificados para trabajar en cabinas EN y FR. Estos nombres fueron enviados por email a Laurent y a German en el principio de enero. El resto de los voluntarios eran debutantes nativos PT, IT, DE y HE, aprobados en sesiones de evaluación promovidas por los intérpretes profesionales responsables para cada lengua pasiva probada.

Paralelamente, procuramos seleccionar intérpretes debutantes que, además del dominio de los idiomas extranjeros, presentasen cualidades diferenciales como titulación o ‘master’ internacional en economía, sociología, ciencias políticas, relaciones internacionales, etc. y calificación en traducción con o sin experiencia en interpretación simultánea.

Por decisión consensual entre los dos coordinadores responsables y los cinco intérpretes para la evaluación, seleccionamos a cerca de 5 voluntarios que, a pesar de no presentar las cualidades exigidas, deberían ser estimulados para participar de una experiencia como el FSM. La idea de la creación de una cota de participantes con esas características había sido discutida y acordada en reuniones anteriores en Rio. Esas personas, por no ser aptas para hacer interpretación, recibieron tareas relacionadas con la coordinación de salas y otras tareas de coordinación. La lista que enumeraba estos nombres fue transmitida para Laurent y para Yan.

Como aspecto negativo del proceso de selección y entrenamiento, resaltamos la falta de espacio adecuado para la realización de entrenamiento (as dos escuelas de interpretación negaron acceso a las salas de entrenamiento), el calendario de fin de año que coincide con el final del año escolar, las vacaciones de algunos voluntarios que dejaron de leer sus emails, las fiestas de fin de año, etc., y la ausencia de material de entrenamiento en PT en el DVD preparado por la Ecos (los debutantes nativos de IT, DE, HE, FR, EN y ES no tuvieron acceso a las conferencias grabadas en PT para interpretar para sus idiomas respectivos). Las soluciones alternativas encontradas (grabaciones de vídeo y de la radio) no fueron satisfactorias.

Como aspecto positivo, destacamos el alto número de profesionales movilizados en Río De Janeiro. Este número habría podido alcanzar cerca de 50, pero muchos desistieron debido a los compromisos profesionales adquiridos en la semana del FSM, y, sobre todo, debido a la falta de definición referente al alojamiento y a la emisión del boleto. Entendemos que la movilización de cerca de 60 a 80 intérpretes profesionales en Río De Janeiro podría ser posible en los próximos dos años.

Finalmente, debemos comentar la cuestión del alojamiento y del boleto aéreo. Los boletos habían comenzado a ser emitidos solamente entre el 18 y el 21 de enero, coincidiendo con los días festivos del 20 al 24 de enero en Río de Janeiro y solamente 4 días antes de la fecha prevista de llegada en Porto Alegre. En este sentido, y debido al día festivo en São Paulo del día 25, la coordinadora local tuvo que supervisar la emisión de cerca de 90 boletos - con las inevitables alteraciones de horario - en un período de 96 horas.

Paralelamente, debido al periodo festivo en Río de Janeiro (del jueves al domingo), varios voluntarios se encontraban fuera de la ciudad y sin acceso a Internet. Fue por esa razón que ciertos boletos electrónicos no fueron emitidos antes del embarque, algunos voluntarios perdieron el vuelo, etc. Por otra parte, como la emisión fue tardía, no fue posible conseguir los mejores precios y las fechas más apropiadas de vuelo. Acabamos llegando un o dos días después de lo ideal y saliendo dos o tres días después de lo necesario, lo que generó gastos adicionales de alojamiento.

Nuestra sugerencia en este sentido es localizar y dar la autonomía al proceso de la emisión de vuelos para conseguir precios mejores comprando boletos como vuelo de grupo y no como boletos individuales. Ello también contribuiría a dar más tranquilidad a quien espera una definición sobre la ida al FSM.

Evaluación y recomendaciones:

1. El grupo de 90 voluntarios fue muy grande y diverso. Pretendemos hacer una evaluación sobre la participación para poder reducir el grupo de los voluntarios de Rio, buscando elevar el número de intérpretes profesionales participantes. Ya estamos trabajando en esa dirección. Nuestro objetivo es alcanzar 60 intérpretes en 2 años. Tal decisión representa nuestra opción por la calidad y la versatilidad lingüística frente a la cantidad de voluntarios. Para ello motivaremos a nuestros colegas de Rio para adherir a Babels y haremos movilizaciones en las escuelas de interpretación de Rio (lo que no fue hecho esta vez).

2. Los voluntarios sin experiencia que se destacaron en Porto Alegre, demostrando potencial para la interpretación simultánea, serán considerados y estimulados a hacer un entrenamiento más intensivo para los acontecimientos futuros del FSM.

3. Todos los intérpretes profesionales de Rio se quejaron por no haber tenido más turnos, entendiendo que habrían podido trabajar 3 turnos por día. La opinión es que el FSM es un acontecimiento anormal, que no puede ser comparado con otros eventos tradicionales del mercado brasileño de la interpretación. Por estas razones aumenta la disposición para trabajar un poco más que los debutantes. Tal argumento se justifica aún así más cuando percibimos que uno de los criterios para el alojamiento es que se debía reservar los cuartos en hotel para los profesionales porque tendrían una carga de un trabajo más grande que la de los debutantes, necesitando, por lo tanto de más descanso.

4. Dar más autonomía la coordinación local en relación a la emisión del boleto, al alojamiento, acogida, etc. Solo aquellos que se encuentran en el nivel local tienen conocimiento adecuado de sus necesidades de las mejores opciones para el transporte, por ejemplo.

5. Creemos que la percepción general del FSM como experiencia positiva para los intérpretes profesionales puede motivar a nuestros colegas de Rio para adherir a la red, venciendo, de esta forma, la resistencia y la amenaza anunciada de represalias. Por lo tanto, en vez de dirigir recursos y energías para el entrenamiento de debutantes, pretendemos realizar una campaña de clarificación del mercado profesional local, para motivar y movilizar un número cada vez mayor de profesionales locales. La superación de los problemas ocasionados por la emisión atrasada de boletos aéreos y de la incertidumbre asociada al alojamiento ya motivaría a un contingente de casi 10 profesionales.

6. Finalmente, deseamos unirnos más a los grupos locales brasileños, más específicamente a la región del sur, a São Paulo y al noroeste (ya existe una alianza intensa entre Rio, el Centro-Oeste y el norte). Entendemos que debe existir un intercambio más grande de ideas y de información entre estos grupos de modo que podemos dejar de ser percibidos como Babels Rio, Babels SP, Babels Centro-Oeste, para pasar a ser Babels Brasil.

axel

Postby axel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:11 pm

Colegas,compañeros,intérpretes y traductores.
Permítanme presentarme. Me llamo Axel, nací en Mérida,soy gocho, como dicen en mi tierra, traductor y defensor de la reflexión antiglobalización ,y fiel admirador del Pte Chávez aunque esto no venga al caso. Me he interesado en Babels como red desde que me hablaron de ella en el 2003 aunque nunca hasta ahora me tomé el compromiso de contribuír en las listas. Soy un actor tras bambalinas y no me hago visible .Mi trabajo como el de muchos de uds es muy solitario .Sin embargo, como integrante de una red, hay momentos en que callar es asentir .Lo que vivimos es expresión de una crisis de identificación con el proyecto ,a mi modo de ver .Preocupa el provincianismo que aún nuestros pueblos de América presentan, el criollismo y la falta de conocimiento de lo que significan las redes dentro de la tendencia antiglobalización ,las diferencias con las ONGs y demás .Me inscribí en Babels porque ninguna persona me representa ni habla por mí. Es el proyecto ,como decían algunos, creo que por allá en el Sur, el que lo hace y ello no afecta la representación, ya que si estamos claros y todos lo compartimos ,no importa quien vaya ,y en tiempos virtuales no hay porqué .No creo en la elección de representantes ni la deseo ,ni de presidente y secretario y contador, porque esas estructuras tradicionales terminan viciadas .Rechazo también la diferenciación América vs Europa, pues uds saben el conflicto es mundial y Babels me parece que también.Es más, me permito recordar que la historia ha demostrado que el conflicto después de Génova está en manos de los del Mediterráneo y los latinoamericanos. Pero si los llamados organizadores de un proyecto no han respetado las bases elementales de una red horizontal ,y en sus propias palabras reconocen estar faltando al principio de horizontalidad y la consulta, como consta en la declaración de la colega Erica, considero que estas personas no son representativas y deben hacerse a un lado por el bien del proyecto para que reine la credibilidad ,y las organizaciones que conocen la red no tengan duda al respecto..
Si no están de acuerdo como afirma un compañero, vale, hay otros medios, mas no el de la ilegalidad y la mentira. Esto debe resolverse por la vía del reconocimiento de las fallas, y del respeto hacia mas de 7 000 personas de la red, mas allá del conflicto de poder que algunos pueden interpretar .Lo que debemos pensar es en el FSM y en los movimientos que acompañan la lucha. Hay que organizarse compañeros, pero con gente en la que podamos creer.
Me disculpan ustedes por el mensaje tan largo, y les agradezco mucho su tiempo.
Axel

esa

Postby esa » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:13 am

PT

Prezado Sr. Alex de Mérida,

Se me dei ao trabalho de redigir uma resposta adequada em três idiomas, acho que posso exigir o mesmo tratamento de quem se julga tradutor/intérprete/bilingüe/fluente em línguas estrangeiras. Afinal de contas, apesar de meu direito de me expressar em minha língua materna, por consideração aos demais, preparo sempre versões em outros idiomas. Considero falta de educação ignorar essa regra tão básica de convivência. Portanto, a reciprocidade deve sempre ser respeitada e exigida quando não observada. Não concorda?

Com relação ao seu comentário – e tomo a liberdade de aqui transcrevê-lo: "Pero si los llamados organizadores de un proyecto no han respetado las bases elementales de una red horizontal ,y en sus propias palabras reconocen estar faltando al principio de horizontalidad y la consulta, como consta en la declaración de la colega Erica, considero que estas personas no son representativas y deben hacerse a un lado por el bien del proyecto para que reine la credibilidad ,y las organizaciones que conocen la red no tengan duda al respecto...", peço-lhe que indique EXATAMENTE, seja transcrevendo ou indicando textualmente, onde exatamente em minha manifestação ficou claro e sem sobra de dúvidas de que houve quebra ou violação dos princípios de horizontalidade e consulta.

Gostaria de informá-lo, pois aparentemente parece ignorar tal fato, que se trata da íntegra de relatório de avaliação final do Rio de Janeiro, cujo texto foi escrito a quatro mãos, aprovado por unanimidade em sessão aberta no Rio de Janeiro e submetido ao site para comentários e questionamento meses atrás. Na época, surpreendentemente, os critérios de seleção foram bem aceitos, até mesmo elogiadas, e nossas sugestões foram inclusive incorporadas ao relatório final geral da Babels. Motivo pelo qual encontro-me totalmente surpresa com a reação do Sr. e seus “et alli.”

Ora, se esse longo processo não é marcado pela horizontalidade, abertura, consenso, e legitimidade, sinceramente, o Sr. e seus "et alli" devem abrir um dicionário - popularmente conhecido no Brasil como o "Pai dos Burros", extremamente adequado, não? - e procurar os verbetes "horizontalidade", "abertura", "consenso" e "legitimidade". Entendo que tal leitura seria muito benéfico e instrutivo ao senhor e aos demais “et alli”. Tenho certeza que virá a concordar comigo e até a me agradecer. Mas não é necessário. Foi um prazer de minha parte ajudá-lo.

O fato é que me parece claro – e para ainda pessoas nesta últimas 36 horas – que determinados indivíduos não têm idéia do que essas palavras significam, seja em português, inglês, espanhol ou francês, o que provavelmente explicaria o porquê de tantos problemas de relacionamento dentro da Babels.

No entanto, não se desespere. Eu e muitos outros, alguns nas Américas, outros na Europa – e sim, estamos unidos, sobretudo em relação a determinados assuntos! – estamos trabalhando intensamente para aperfeiçoar nossos mecanismos de controle e prestação de contas horizontais, de forma a promover e incentivar horizontalidade com RESPONSABILIDADE E "ACCOUNTABILITY".

Atenciosamente de sua AINDA colega babelita brasileira e espero notícias em breve.

Erica Resende (ou simplesmente Erica R., como preferir)

EN

Dear Mr. Alex from Merida,

If I have taken the time to write a proper reply in three languages, I feel I could demand the same treatment from whoever considers oneself translator/interpreter/bilingual/fluent in foreign languages. After all, although I do have the right to express myself in my native language – and I always do so – out of consideration to others, I always take the time to prepare my text in another language or two. I consider impolite to ignore such a basic rule in human relations. Therefore, reciprocity must always be carefully observed and strongly demanded when it is not respected, don’t you agree?

Concerning your comment - and I quote: "Pero si los llamados organizadores de un proyecto no han respetado las bases elementales de una red horizontal ,y en sus propias palabras reconocen estar faltando al principio de horizontalidad y la consulta, como consta en la declaración de la colega Erica, considero que estas personas no son representativas y deben hacerse a un lado por el bien del proyecto para que reine la credibilidad ,y las organizaciones que conocen la red no tengan duda al respecto... ", I kindly ask you to ACCURATELY POINT OUT, be it by quoting me directly or by indicating in the text above, where exactly in my reply it became clear and beyond any doubts to you that the principles of horizontality and consultation have been breached.

Let me inform you, Mr. Alex, since you appear to be either misinformed or just plain in ignorance, that my reply consist of the debriefing report which was written by two individuals, approved by acclamation in an open meeting held in Rio de Janeiro and later submitted to this very website and forum, where it was once again discussed and commented upon for months. At that time, surprisingly, the selection criteria were well received and even praised, no one raised any claims about no horizontality or such thing, and parts of which have been even incorporated into Babels final debriefing report. Hence my surprise to yours and your fellow “et alli”’s reaction to this matter.

If this is not horizontality, openness, consensus, and legitimacy, I sincerely recommend to you and your fellow "et alli" to open a dictionary - in Brazil we popularly call it "The Father of the Stupid", quite fitting, don't you think? - and look it up under "horizontality", "openness", "consensus", and "legitimacy". I feel this reading would be very much to your benefit and I am sure will you eventually agree with me and even thank me for that. But no thanks needed. It has been my pleasure.

It seems clear to me - and even more to a lot a people in the last 24 hours - that certain members of this network have no idea of what those words really mean, be it in French, English, or Spanish, which might then explain why we have been having so much relationship problems in Babels.

But please do not despair. Myself and many others, some in the Americas and some in Europe - which reveals that yes, we are somewhat united, when it comes to certain and important issues - are working very hard to better our current tools for horizontal controlling accountability. Our aim is to promote and build horizontality with responsibility and accountability.

Best regards from your STILL fellow Brazilian babelita and I hope to hear from you very soon.

Erica Resende (or as you might prefer, Erica R.)

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:27 am

Yes the text you pasted in a post above is a report already published and existing in 3 languages: http://www.babels.org/a218.html#rio for the English version.

And no it has never been "submitted to this very website and forum, where it was once again discussed and commented upon for months", it was published in the website along with all the reports on March 10 which was 5 weeks after the end of the WSF considering that during 1 week no one was up to do anything except relaxing.

The reports were all gathered together and published pasting them one after the other with no editing involved. Translations were added depending on the needs by other volunteers.

yan

hechos v. ficción / facts vs. fiction

Postby yan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:39 am

EN, ES

ES
Primero, para las personas que se preguntan porqué no aparecen mas nombres en el texto que colgué en el foro: es por respeto a las personas que nos transmitieron la información, y a fin de evitar una caza de brujas. Vamos a pedirles a cada uno/a si desean ser "testigos" oficiales (sic) para apoyar lo que hemos expuesto. Esto les demostrará que hablamos de la realidad, no de ficción -- hechos, no rumores. Nunca hubiera perdido tanto tiempo para difundar esta información sin primero verificar la veracidad de los hechos. (No soy periodista, pero sí he estudiado historia. Por lo tanto, no hablo de asuntos graves que no pueda respaldar con pruebas sólidas.)
Segundo: por favor no confundan lo que se ha dicho aquí con todo el grupo Babels en la región de Río, ni con todo lo que hicieron Leda B. o Erica Resende. La mayor parte de la gente de Rio, y una gran parte del trabajo de Leda B. o Erica Resende son perfectamente legítimos y útiles. Esto ya lo había dicho en el mensaje que colgué en el foro.
Tenemos que seguir adelante, pero ahora todos tendremos que fijar bien dónde pisamos.
Saludos,
Yan

EN

Firstly, for those that are wondering why there aren't more names in the text I posted on this forum: it's out of respect for those that gave us the information, and to avoid a witch-hunt. We will ask them one by one if they agree to "testify" officially (sic) to what we have said. This will show you that these are facts, not fiction -- facts, not rumors. I would have never taken the time to post these allegations if we hadn't verified the facts first. (I'm not a journalist, but I have studied history. This is why I don't mention serious matters without being able to show solid proof.)
Secondly, please do not confuse what was said above with what concerned the whole of Babels in/near Rio, nor of everything done either by Leda B. or Erica Resende. The majority of Babels people in Rio, and a lot of the work by Leda B. or Erica Resende are perfectly legitimate and valuable. I said as much in the message I posted on the forum.
We have to go forward, only all of us will now have to tread carefully.
Best,
Yan

axel

Postby axel » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:46 pm

Hi Erica.
Hola Erica.
I am talking about your Coup d´Etat writing,when you say:
Me refiero a tu escrito del Golpe d eEstado cuando dices:
"Reconheco que não houve consulta às "bases eleitorais", mas houve consenso entre esse pequeno grupo que eu deveria ir. Nosso outro colega é Venezuelano, intérprete profissional e professor de tradução e interpretação da universidade local. Acreditamos que ele seja o candidato perfeito para criar uma coordenação local em Caracas (que não existe). Já que o próximo fórum será em Caracas, nada mais natural que alguém daquela região esteja envolvido com a preparação e planejamento desde do início do processo.

Tenho total consciência de que violamos diretrizes importantes como transparência, consulta permanente ao forum no website da babels, etc., mas TEMPO FOI ESSENCIAL. Agimos rapido para aproveitar uma oportunidade única."
Cheers

Axel

esa

Postby esa » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:39 pm

PT

Já que se deu ao trabalho de xeretar emails privados e endereçados a outras pessoas - o que constitui invasão de privacidade, pelo menos tenha fibra para selecionar uma amostra mais representativa e não a única mensagem que se encaixa melhor a seus objetivos. Isso é deturpação de contexto!

Além disso, o que está em pauta para discussão são as supostas irregularidades no processo de seleção para POA (tema de meu post de ontem) ou o fiasco de Havana? Decida-se, mas não pule de um tema para outro sem antes ter respondido ao primeiro. Parece até coisa de gente desesperada e presa à própria retórica.

Por que não transcreve algumas das dezenas de mensagens de apoio que recebemos? Deixa que faço isso para você, com todo prazer:

Adorei.
Para que algo aconteça, alguém tem que tomar decisões. Se vcs tiveram que passar por cima de diretrizes, etc, é simplesmente porque nada funciona a contento.
Parabéns, fico feliz, acho que vcs são naturalmente legítimos dentro deste processo todo.
Boa sorte, a oposição deve vir a toda...
Renata.

cara erika,
é verdade que decisões de pequenos grupos nem sempre correspondem a uma
idéia de mundo diferente. Entretanto,apesar de algumas diferenças, eu
particularmente sou sempre favorável a que se tome decisões que sejam para
ampliar regras. Acho que a Babels sofre de problemas comuns a grande parte
de inciativas comuns, mas, mesmo assim, acho o processo razoavelmente
democrático. Desejo a vocês boa sorte e que continuem sendo pessoas que
sabem distinguir entre interesses pessoais e interesses mais abrangentes.
saudações babelíticas
sohl

Só gostaria de manifestar minha opinião totalmente a favor da atitude de vcs... por um motivo muito simples... se esta é uma estrutura "horizontal" temos todos que participar dela... vcs estão fazendo a parte de vcs... que ótima atitude!

Muito bom, Erica.
Go girl.
isa

Acho que na hora de trabalhar, de botar a mão na massa, sacrificando suas horas de sono e de trabalho remunerado, sabe-se muito bem quem lidera o grupo e quem mais trabalha. Na hora de uma representatividade importante, necessária e mais do que legítima não se pode ter nenhuma verticalidade.... Me poupe!!!! Essa "horizontalidade" não é nem utópica, ela parece conveniência pura. A gente está mais do que escaldado, aqui no Brasil, principalemte com discursos de igualdade que quando tomam o poder são piores que abutres. A própria decisão de não se ter representates é uma decisão que vem de alguma instância superior porque se não não se teria que pedir opinioão a ninguém. Já que é totalmente horizontal, nós comunicamos que vamos e eles pagam as contas. Não estão pagando para outras línguas???
Desculpem se estou por fora do assunto ou se não entendi direito, mas a partir do que tenho lido aqui nestas mensagens foi isto que captei.

Suadações, Elza Helena

Erica,

precisamente porque nos relacionamos de forma horizontal é que me parece legítimo que vcs tenham tomado decisões em benefício de todos. Afinal, somos cidadãs e cidadãos planetários que estamos tentando transformar o mundo, o que implica ser proativ@s e inclusivos.

Fico contente de que pessoas como vocês tenham ocupado um espaço no momento que foi preciso e quando eu não poderia, embora gostaria muito estar com as mãos na massa. Valeu!

Um abraço, Kena

Erica,

Estou chegando tardíssimo, mas tem todo o meu apoio. Acho que a sua
representativade foi mais do que comprovada ao longo de todo o
processo de preparação do FSM e durante o próprio evento. Já estou
encaminhando a minha mensagem.

Beijos, Annie

Quem lhes escreve é Maria José Garino. Tive a excelente oportunidade de colaborar com vocês como intérprete no FSM de POA. Apoio totalmente a Erica Resende para a representação da Babels em Cuba. Achei que sua dedicação e responsabilidade na preparação do Forum e durante o mesmo foram excelentes. Muito obrigada pela atenção.

Maria José Garino Intérprete Simultánea tendo como língua A - Esp/Port,
B- Ing e C - Francês

Erica,
Se alguem acha voce persona non grata, vai ter que ficar quieto e engolir. Pois me parece que, fosse realizada uma eleição , ao menos aqui no Rio, voce já estaria eleita para coordenação e para nos representar . Quem não gostar, sinto muito. Alias, visto que esse assunto infelizmente parece estar encerrado da pior maneira possivel, volto à minha sugesstão de tentarmos arrumar a casa.
Pelo que entendi, o Rio quer uma Babels organizada. Tivessemos nós já feito isso, e agora poderiamos estar falando em nome do Rio e quem sabe do Brasil. Seria muito mais facil e tiraria o foco da questão pessoal, tiraria a responsabilidade dos teus ombros.
Escrevi pessoalmente ao Yan ( alias, ele me escreveu e eu respondi) e
expliquei a ele que nada foi feito à revelia da Babels. Tudo foi feito com o
apoio da Babels Rio / DF e de outros ainda. Se a Babels prega a
horizontalidade, estamos apenas aplicando-a. Foram longos emails , em termos carinhosos porem claros e inequivocos e no final, apenas para mim, fica uma unica conclusão: ou a Babels assume uma organização, encontra formas de escolher rapidamente delegados e representantes, legitimar coordenações, responder a questões que nos são feitas ( vide festival da Venezuela e fórum franco-brasileiro) ou sinceramente, não terá jeito. Eu pelo menos, vou acabar saindo fora, ou me limitando a comparecer em um evento aqui e outro ali ... e termino esse email como terminei o email para o Yan ... uma pena, pois a Babels é uma linda idéia ... Beijos e conte comigo.
p.s. quanto ao " golpe de estado" alguem precisa explicar ao laurent o sentido com que todos entendemos o que voce disse ... que certamente não foi o mesmo sentido que ele entendeu ...
é o problema de lidarmos com pessoas de culturas diferentes ...
e por falar em desentendimentos, péssimo nome esse da babels , que afinal, é o símbolo maior da discórdia ...
bjs, Cris.

EN

If your are going to snoop around into peoples' private emails - which, by the way, is an invasion of privacy - be brave enough to select a more representative sample of communications, not the single one that happens to fit your petty intentions. It stands completely out of context!

BTW, are we talking about the so-called irregularities that happened in selection for POA or the Havana fiasco? Make up your mind, but do try to be consistent. Don't open up one issue and then jump to the next without settling the first one. It makes people think you are desperate and lost in your own rhetoric.

ERica Resende

Mario Patricio

Postby Mario Patricio » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:01 pm

ES – ES - ES

Estimados colegas, soy Mario Patricio de Quito, Ecuador y residente en Las Vegas.

En respuesta a los comentarios sobre horizontalidad y transparencia no puedo más estar callado, porque como Alex dice, si no digo nada es porque estoy de acuerdo, pues no estoy de acuerdo con lo escrito, pero mi silencio fue porque creo que es una pérdina de tiempo y energía y que solamente a dos meses del Foro todavía estamos discutiendo cosas que a este momento no merecen ninguna atención. Cuál es el beneficio de estos comentarios? De qué manera ayudan al proyecto?

Está sucediendo lo mismo que pasó en Porto Alegre, algunos militantes autorizados por no sé quién, que se especializan en ser pesimistas y creen que pueden leer el futuro cuando dicen y aseguran que el Foro va a fracasar. Cómo saben eso? Qué bola de cristal utilizan? El único objetivo aquí es el de alarmar a otros miembros que seguro queremos trabajar y ayudar porque creemos que otro mundo es posible.

Dejen de ser tan pesimistas y continuemos con el trabajo.

Qué puedo hacer, en qué puedo ayudar, son palabras mucho mejores.

Otro mundo es posible y la gente que se cree que es representante de Babels sin que nadie les autorize, esto creo es falta de transparencia y horizontalidad.

Déjen de quejarse y continuemos trabajando.

Mario Patricio

EN – EN - EN

In response to the coments about horizontality and trasparency I can’t be without saying something anymore, because as Alex says, if I am silent I agree. Well I do not agree with what has been written, but my silence was because I think is a waste of energy and time and at only two months away from the Forum we are still discusing things that at this moment do not deserve any attention. What is the benefit of these comments? In what way help the project?

It is happening the same thing that happened in Porto Alegre, some militants authorized by I don’t know who, that specialize in being pessimists and think they can read the future when they say and assure that the Forum is going to fail. How do they know that? What cristal ball do they have? The only objective here is to alarm the other members that we sure do want to work and help because we believe that another world is possible.

Stop being so pessimists and continue with the work.

What can I do? How can I help? Are much, much better words.

Another world is possible and the people that think are representatives of Babels without anybody authorizing them, this I think is lack of transparency and horizontality.

Stop whining let’s get to work.

Mario Patricio

mnario

Text in PT coming soon

Postby mnario » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:28 pm

EN

My name is Marcelo and I'm from Rio de Janeiro.

As a professional translator and interpreter and volunteer of Babels, I'll be releasing the version in PT of the topic above asap with the seriousness and faithfulness that my profession requires.

However, the text does not by any means reflect my view about the work of those professionals involved.

PT

Meu nome é Marcelo e sou do Rio de Janeiro.

Como tradutor e intérprete profissional e voluntário da Babels, vou lançar a versão em PT do tópico acima o quanto antes com a seriedade e fidelidade que minha profissão exige.

No entanto, o texto não reflete, de modo algum, a minha visão quanto ao trabalho d@s profissionais envolvid@s.

babelpat

Re: hechos v. ficción / facts vs. fiction

Postby babelpat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:02 am

[EN]
You can't post allegations, say thay are backed by facts, and leave it at that - before we see the proofs, this is nothing but rumors.

Having said that, if the facts are true, this is serious matter.

Yet I'm not too happy about the way things are presented to us. We already have unelected representatives, what now, bye bye to the presumption of innocence?

[FR]