Réu du conseil international du FSM - IC meeting

EN International Council - ES Consejo Internacional - FR Conseil international
EN Hemispheric Council - ES Consejo Hemisférico - FR Conseil hémisphérique
EN European Preparatory Assembly - ES Asamblea Europea de Preparación - FR Assemblée Européenne de Préparation
steph

Réu du conseil international du FSM - IC meeting

Postby steph » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:42 am

FR/EN

FR
bonjour

Babels est membre du conseil international du Forum social mondial, qui se réunit périodiquement pour décider des orientations du processus. La prochaine réunion se déroule aux Pays-Bas, en avril. Babels reçoit des informations à ce sujet grâce à l'inscription sur une mailing list du secrétariat du FSM.

Il est important d' assister et de participer à ces réunions. Il est aussi important d'avoir une rotation dans les gens qui y vont. Pour le moment, Laurent, Monica, Bettina, Yan, Isabel et moi-même y avons participé plusieurs fois. Il me semble important d'ouvrir la participation à d'autres personnes : il est primordial de partager ce genre de "fonction". D'abord, pour partager les informations qui président au débat sur le processus du FSM : plus on est à comprendre comment ça marche, plus riche est le débat et plus riches sont les propositions. Ensuite, pour sortir de la personnalisation de cette représentation : les membres du CI sont tous des permanents d'ONG et d'associations et ne sont pas habitués à raisonner en termes de réseaux et ont tendance à chercher des noms, des visages et à ne s'appuyer que sur les têtes qui reviennent pour discuter. Il nous appartient de ne pas reproduire leurs schémas.

Peut-on se servir de l'espace forum de babels pour expliquer le conseil international, son architecture, les réunions, les enjeux de la prochaine réunion et décider qui sont les représentants de Babels au CI? Il faut 2 "délégués politiques" et des interprètes.

C'est d'autant plus important, maintenant que l'architecture du FSM est appelée à changer, avec l'idée de la multiplication des événements l'an prochain. Du coup, ce serait sans doute une bonne idée d'attirer l'attention sur le fait que Babels est en train d'essayer de dresser un bilan de sa participation au FSM (questionnaire, rapports et débriefings divers et variés).

Cordialement,
Stéph

EN

Hi there
Babels is a member of the International council of the WSF, which gets together on a regular basis, to discuss the orientations of the WSF process. The next reunion will take place in the Netherlands, in April. Babels is kept informed through a mailing list of the WSF secretariat.

It is important to take part into those reunions. It is also important to organize who's going, so that it's not always the same people acting as delegates. So far, Laurent, Monica, Bettina, Yan, Isabel and I have taken part several times as "political delegates" : I suggest that we step out and open up this "fonction" to more people. First of all, because the more we are to understand how it works, the richer the debate will be and the richer our own proposals will be. Second, because we need to avoid any risk of identification of the Babels network with one or 2 persons. In fact, the members of the IC are all NGO permanents, they're not used to thinking in terms of networks and tend to cling to one face whenever they can. It's up to us not to reproduce the same schemes.

Maybe we could use this forum of Babels, to explain what is the International council about, how it works, what are the reunions about, what's at stake within the next IC meeting and decide who should go and represent Babels there? We need 2 people acting as "political delegates" and interpreters.

It's all the more important now, as the WSF architecture's about to change, with the idea of splitting the WSF in several events :it's bound to rise issues for the network. Babels is currently trying to assess its participation within the WSF (survey, debriefings, reports).

Cheers
Stéphanie

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:16 am

Hello

I do agree with Steph. It is becoming a habit, something is worg with us;-). With several down to hearth issues.

1- Since informal discussions in POA, there is a group of people trying to see if it would be feasible for next year to organize a world thematic forum. Emails were exchanged after the WSF just to see if people were still interested and furthermore to contact outside would-be partners (CRID and Ibase) to test the feasibility issue. For the moment there is no outcome. The idea would be if there is any outcome then to enlarge this discussion and discuss widely the documents to be presented in the IC.

2- There is no budget. We are not an NGO. How do you want to finance someone that would like to attend this meeting if he/she is not coming on his/her own? It's cool that this mail is coming now because:

a) Alessandra email (I just forwarded) made me think that we should contact her to see if they need volunteer translation (the IC organizing is up to the recipient organizations... for Holland for instance I do not know) hence some little budget at least for some travels including a small team of volunteers that do not have all the time to sit in a booth :-) and Cheo and others know very well what it is about... we should put them in contact.

b) There is a need of some of the people that are at the moment trying to get the Thematic Forum going to be included. I really do not know how to have people from Sampa or Rio coming... or from NYC for that matter. Which come back to 1 and 2a depending of course if something move.

3- What I will do personaly? I'll go most probably (but I need to negociate the car with my spouse :-)... which is not a piuece of cake). But as the ESF with a total different agenda than Babels and I will not do both like in Athens. There is an issue to resolve and I do not need to be an IC member for this :-) but I need to speak with people that will attend, around the ESF website, the memories project (and their new organizing) because of tools linked with the website and the Social territory concept and feasibility in Athens. When the negociation about the car is resolved, their will be free seats ;-)... therefore I was waiting to be sure before telling.

The fact that we need to go is obvious as the fact to be as numerous as possible hence my 2a) proposal and new faces and new people is even more important.

Besides who exactly, my feeling is that many contacts will be tried out from the Moroccan organizing committee for January 2006 and possibly from other events (delocalized WSFs). And I guess no one exactly at this point knows what to do with it except putting people in contact... and let them do afterward. Furthermore that we should "force" contacts with the African social forum to see what their intentions are and even to start to see if something is possible between this and linkage to the ESF at least as far as the alternate equipment and some possible cross-involvement of people to get the experience of "volunteer translation" (the thing we tried with Roula and Thanos as far as the Greek which has been very positive).

yan

Re: Réu du conseil international du FSM - IC meeting

Postby yan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:22 am

steph wrote:FR - Pour le moment, Laurent, Monica, Bettina, Yan, Isabel et moi-même y avons participé plusieurs fois.
EN - So far, Laurent, Monica, Bettina, Yan, Isabel and I have taken part several times as "political delegates"

FR/EN
Rectificatif: moi je n'y ai participé qu'une fois, en novembre 2004 à Porto Alegre. J'ai toujours évité ce genre de réunions, y compris toutes les Assemblées Préparatoires Européennes pour le FSE, même quand elles se déroulaient dans la ville où je suis!
Par ailleurs, depuis Novembre, tous les interprètes intéressés ont été vivement conviés à assister à ces grand-messes, pour qu'ils voient à quoi ça ressemble. Babels n'a rien à cacher: allez-y! taïhaut!
yan

EN
Please rectify: I only participated once, in November 2004 in Porto Alegre. I've always avoided these kinds of meetings, as well as all the European Preparatory Assemblies for the ESF, even when they took place in the city I'm living in!
Furthermore, since November, all the interpreters who were interested were actively invited to go to these big meetings, so that they could all see what it looks like. Babels has nothing to hide: go ahead!
yan

steph

Postby steph » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:30 pm

first things first : Laurent's answering one of my email. Please find it here, so that you're not entirely lost if you care to follow this thread. And sorry for the length of this.

----
sent on March 3rd to the poacoord list and babels list

Hi there

As some of you already know, the next IC meeting is taking place in April
in the Netherlands. I already forwarded 2 emails on the matter and got
no answer whatsoever and time is getting very short. Now, attending the
IC is important. Building a political answer on what Babels can do
within the SF process is important, all the more as the process is
supposed to split between continents and this multiplies the number of
"SF" events and this, is not an issue to discard as unimportant.
It's part of the collective reflexion we need to have, at an
international level (taking cultural differences and practices into
account) and global level (including all the babels work group).

Usually, what has been done is that people from the region where the IC
meeting was taking place attended, except in Quito where we kind of
flunked - yet, sadly, no clear process on who's going there to act as
temporary "political delegate" of babels in the ic was ever drafted
ever since.

Now : I have not seen ANY discussion going on about this and this is
getting really dangerous. Because the one and only conclusion that I
draw is that the choice of who's going will be settled privately,
through private emails. I hope this is not the case, especially because
of the incredible effort that the preparation of this particular Social
Forum has done to include people, share info and try to be explain what
was going on.

I speak for myself only, but I think that all the people that have
already been to the IC meeting MUST STEP DOWN and let other Babelians go
It's not a personal attack, but I think Laurent, Bettina, Yan, Monica,
Isabel and I, for instance, who all attended IC meetings at some point,
must not attend such a reunion. We're not there to create a new caste
of people attending that sort of reunions. What we can do, is give
inputs and share the background with people willing to go but we have to
make room for others to go.

I've put a message on the forum about this, under the "WSF 2005 : what
have we learned?" thread and Cheo, a professional interpreter based in
Brussels but from Latin America if I'm not mistaken, is very interested
in going, for instance. Not as an interpreter, don't read me wrong. But
that's not the point : the point is, we need to organize the discussion
on the IC publicly and to reach a decision publicly as well.
WHERE???? there are a billion mailing list in Babels,all private...
hardly the place to set a public debate up.
and WHEN ??? it's getting a bit urgent.
cheers
stéph

------
Bonjour,

Comme certains d'entre vous le savent déjà, la prochaine réunion du
conseil international du FSM a lieu en avril aux Pays-Bas. J'ai déjà eu
l'occasion de relayer deux mails sur ce sujet, qui n'ont rencontré
strictement aucun écho, mais le temps presse. Or, aller au CI est
important. Construire une réponse politique sur ce que Babels peut faire
au sein du processus des forums sociaux est important, d'autant plus
que ce processus est appelé à se diviser par continents et que ceci
multiplie le nombre d'événements labellisés "FS" : c'est quelque
chose dont il faut discuter . Cela fait partie de la réflexion
collective à mener au niveau international (en prenant en compte toutes
les différences de culture et de pratique) et global (en prenant en
compte les différents groupes de travail du réseau).

Ce qui a été fait, pour le moment, c'est que des babels de la région se
rendaient au CI, sauf à Quito, où on a plus ou moins merdé - mais
depuis, aucun processus plus juste de sélection des "délégués
politiques" temporaires de Babels n'a été mis au point.

En fait : je n'ai vu AUCUNE discussion sur le fait d'aller au CI, sur
qui y va et ça, c'est franchement dangereux. Parce que la seule
conclusion que j'en tire,c'est que le choix de qui ira se fera à
travers des emails privés. J'espère que je me trompe. Surtout vu
l'incroyable effort fait par toute l'équipe de ce FSM pour inclure les
gens, partager les informations et donner des explications sur ce qui se
passait.

Je ne parle qu'en mon nom, bien entendu. Mais je pense sincèrement que
toutes les personnes qui ont déjà été aux réunions du conseil
international doivent céder la place et laisser d'autres babels s'y
rendre. Ne le prenez pas comme une attaque personnelle, parce que cela
n'en est pas une : mais je pense que Laurent, Bettina, Yan, Monica,
Isabel et moi-même, par exemple, qui avont tous été à des réunions du
CI, ne doivent pas y aller. Le but n'est pas de reproduire une caste de
permanents qu'on retrouver de réunion en réunion internationale. Ce
qu'on peut faire, c'est partager ce que nous savons avec des babelitas
et babelitos qui seraient intéressés à s'y rendre et faire ainsi de la
place pour d'autres.

J'ai posté un message, sous la rubrique "WSF 2005 : what have we
learned?" et Cheo, un interpréte pro qui vit à Bruxelles mais est
originaire d'Amérique Latine si je ne dis pas de bêtises, est intéressé
à y aller, par exemple. Pas en tant qu'interpréte, hein. Mais c'est
pas vraiment la question : la question c'est qu'il faut créer un
espace de discussion publique sur le CI, et qu'il faut aussi trouver le
moyen de prendre une décision de façon transparente et inclusive.
OU??? parce qu'il y a pratiquement 3 millions de mailing lists privées
dans Babels, ce qui n'aide pas le débat public.
et QUAND??? ça commence à urger...
bises
stéph

steph

Postby steph » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:35 pm

second :))

Yan : sorry, my mistake. I thought you'd been involved in more than one, because you've been very active within the Program group of the WSF 2005 (as people will be able to understand, thanks to the efforts made to write reports) and I guess I blurred everything into one big thing, because it's basically the same people in different circles, right?

Yan : désolée, je me suis trompée. Je t'avais assimilé d'office à plus d'une réunion du conseil international, parce que t'es super investi dans le groupe Programme du FSM et que c'est un peu les mêmes personnes portant des casquettes différentes dans des cercles différents, non?

steph

Postby steph » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:54 pm

third.... hopefully, this is a forum and anyone can write as much as me!!!! I'm not deprieving somebody's time to speak. :s

Money

If I'm not mistaken, the WSF secretariat, or the organization hosting the IC meeting and thus financing the logistical aspects of the IC meeting, has financed Babels' translation and political delegates until now. At least, that's what I recall from the IC meeting in April 2004 (Silvia was reimbursed by Alessandra for her expenses in gathering the team of interpreters). Am I wrong? or has it changed?

Babels' a network, not an NGO... so what? It does have a bank account. It can go hunt money to finance such trips. There were talks about people willing to finance Babels at some point : what's new?

If we're down to people - volunteer people - having to pay the fees to go to attend such a meeting, then we're excluding people who donot have the means to go. It's a de facto selection-exclusion, based on how much money or time or energy you can put into one ticket and it's not a political stand for anyone.

Money is an issue, but it's not the trickiest one, I fear.

Informal discussions
Could you please be more specific on the Thematic forum, please? I kind of remember one very quick word on this but pff... And why should the people trying to set a Thematic Forum, the people working on the Athens forum and the people attending the IC be the same or be one and only bunch? Even though I understand networking, having a very tight group isnot the best idea. How about opening a specific thread on this topic? I'm reading emails on different mailing lists that basically show an interest for the question. It may lead to nothing, but still.

;)
stéph
Last edited by steph on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:23 pm

steph wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the WSF secretariat, or the organization hosting the IC meeting and thus financing the logistical aspects of the IC meeting, has financed Babels' translation and political delegates until now. At least, that's what I recall from the IC meeting in April 2004 (Silvia was reimbursed by Alessandra for her expenses in gathering the team of interpreters). Am I wrong? or has it changed?

No you are not wrong. But it is not automatic. I do not know the situation about this IC hence we have to enquire.

No Babels has no budget and no bank account. If you speak about the French association built for the ESF03 in Paris it has signed an agreement to keep some money to be spent on debriefing from it and helping projects. I do not know where it is at, but I guess nothing is left. Furthermore it is not a Babels bank account, it is an old stuff build when back when we were thinking (we involving the people taking care of the ESF03 project) that it will be usefull. And according to their experience beside suffering it has not been... (I do not want to speak for them that is what I understood).

As for the email you mentioned, to be clear it is just an enquire about the status of some money given to the WSF in order to fund the "translation funds" that is on standing. Well the money belongs to the WSF because we do not have any budget. The sole we have is the pre-budget for the WSF we have published online in its many versions in order to help the WSF budget to discuss it. It is about confirming this.

esa

IC meeting in the Netherlands

Postby esa » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Hello to all.

First I would like to agree with Laurent. New names, new faces is not only simbolic of Babels being a newtwork, but it also contributes with fresh ideas, points of view and new approaches. And this could be very positive.

On the other hand, it is important that the new people attending the IC meeting be aware of previous issues and agendas discussed in previous IC meetings. I think that new faces will not mean a new Babels project on very IC meeting.

On another issue: will Babels be sending representatives to attend the meeting AND a team of interpreters or will Babels representatives act as interpreters as well? If the later is the case, I think is could escalate to a problem, since members of the IC could once again regard Babels as their own private group of volunteer interpreters and not as an organization that is part of the Social Forum process. Having representatives acting as interpreters in the same IC meeting could consolidate this perception.

Therefore, I would like to suggest 2 to 3 people to act as representatives - maybe one from each continent to keep the representation of a transnational network - and a team of interpreters (how many would depend on the languages required at the meeting; the usual Pt-EN-FR-ES?).

Finally, how do we finance travel and housing expenses and when exactly is the IC meeting (specific dates)?

Erica Resende
Rio de Janeiro

Ivonne

Postby Ivonne » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:02 am

1) Participación CI : Estoy de acuerdo con Erica en que sean 2 o 3 con representación continental, me parece que sería interesante que quienes fueran como representantes tuvieran una mezcla de conocimiento previo y nuevo, así como si enviamos intérpretes, est*s no sólo funcionen como tales sino también permitirles aprender de la experiencia como futur*s participantes de próximos CI u otras instancias de representación de Babels.
2) Me gustaría saber con claridad (y disculpen mi ignorancia) que se trata en los CI y cuales son sus "poderes" y los nuestros dentro del, porque se da mucha cosa por sobre entendido pero habemos algun*s que todavía estamos en la letra b y nos queda un largo camino (com bastantes curvas les diré) para llegar a la z.
3)Resultado de lo anterior: cómo podemos aportar nuestros puntos de vista si no sabemos de qué se habla: Creo que para lograr una verdadera horizontalidad y para que el mito biblico no se nos vuelva encontra, es necesario aclarar o referenciar (lease links) cuando se habla de algo para que podamos al menos tener un panorama más amplio de esta complejidad.
Un abrazo
Ivonne

steph

Postby steph » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:33 pm

Bonjour

Le conseil international réunit pas d'organisations qui participent à l'organisation du forum social mondial. Le conseil lui-même est surtout une agora où ces organisations discutent et le "travail" est fait en commissions (bien que les discussions de couloir semblent avoir plus de poids que les séances officielles des commissions). Si je ne me trompe pas, il y a une commission sur la communication, une autre sur la méthodologie et une autre sur l'expansion. D'après ce que je comprends, les commissions élaborent des propositions, les rapportent au conseil, qui en discute en séance plénière. Il y a des réunions du conseil international et aussi des réunions de commissions entre deux. Et entre-deux, des discussions via mailing lists, par commission.

Officiellement, le CI ne prend pas de décision. Mais bon, les forums ont lieu quand même, donc, y'a bien des décisions qui se prennent quelque part. Par exemple, le changement de format du FSM cette année s'est préparé au sein de la commission Méthodologie, dont Babels est membre. Et d'ailleurs, Babels et Nomad ont fait partie des discussions menant à ce changement de format.

Pour 2006, il a été annoncé que le forum changeait de format à nouveau : 4 forums continentaux et des événements "forum social". La place de l'interprétation-traduction là-dedans? aucun débat n'a eu lieu. Ni pour dresser une analyse de la participation de babels au fsm 2005, ni pour inclure ni pour rejeter babels.

Si j"ai dit des bêtises, je compte sur les gens qui ont plus d'expérience pour corriger ou compléter, merci.

Mais pour plus de détails, il vaut mieux lire :

http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/
Dans le menu espagnol :
Qué es el FSM?
Quién organiza?

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:13 pm

My feelings about what I read is quite different... Well in fact we do not have "representatives" whether in the IC or whether in other meetings. We have people involved in Babels as volunteers who participate to the debates if needed. It is therefore much less about representation that about participation and trying to make it evolve in a more participatory way.

The IC takes no decisions and it take decisions Steph is right. But where she is wrong is that I feel is that why should we've been asked for the decentralized Forum (at the moment two Morocco and Venezuela have sent and confirmed their will, a third one has not confirmed yet, Korea)... is that it is just about facilitating contacts and letting them decide whether they want to participate or not, build the project and so on. I do not see who in the world can say "yes we are of course part of this or that" and then involved people on a volunteer basis.

We are not a political object as anyother NGO, Union or even Network we are a dual actor all the time, interpreting and facilitating international debates and participating to them actively. The team of volunteer interpreters in the IC as they devote time and expertise are the people who should voice and be our faces.

It is not easy to be in the booth and at the table of discussion. Yes. It was done in London when Yan step out of the booth to participate directly in a seminar in which Babels participated. It was done also in Athen during the European Preparatory Assembly of the European Social Forum, when the only voice and face of Babels was one of the Turkish volunteer that discuseds with the others and steped out the booth to participate to the debate.

It could be done not necessarily as such but we are talking about a team of people. So it is super important to discuss together and imagine ways together. I am sorry to say but this what make me stick to Babels and not as one more representative bullshit. We are full actors with all the difficulties there are, we are "doers" and we are political participants, at the same time.

Sometines we fail succeeding doing this. Because well failing is possible. But we should not stop to try to succeed doing this, this way.

Ivonne

Postby Ivonne » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:19 am

Bueno, ¿? es cómo Babels aporta su voto en decisiones colectivas del
CI, si a la interna de Babels no sabemos (o al menos babels-uy no lo sabe)
de qué decisiones estamos hablando y que implican las mismas. ¿Sigo bien por aquí?
Entonces estoy contigo de que es el nudo del problema.
Soluciones, alternativas:
* No se si el lugar es el foro o una única lista de correo o qué, pero tal
vez sea una especie de práctica didáctica dónde se expliciten los procesos
internos que fueron vividos por algunos y que otros nos empezamos a
desayunar que existieron (hoy ya me siento en la "c") y que deseamos conocer (la historia forma parte del presente) para poder entender los significados de ciertas cosas y para no correr el autobús de atrás toda la vida (práctica muy sudamericana a la que terminamos habituándonos).
Detalle: para no poner la carroza delante de los bueyes. Aquí en el sur
recién estamos viviendo un proceso de re-organización para involucrarnos en el FS-Uruguay por lo que creo que seguiremos estando muy "lejos" de
participar directamente del CI pero eso no implica que no podamos discutir y aportar en la toma de decisiones de forma horizontal y colectiva: Nuevamente se hace necesario aportar información para poder hacer.
A su vez este ejercicio nos permitiría generar consciencia y motivar la
participación ya que si somos intérprete-voluntários-activistas: esta
performance de vida no surge de la nada, es necesario construirla y para eso necesitamos tener con que. En mi humilde opinión ese algo es información clara y explícita.
Los foros cuando se usan son una muy buena herramienta ya que podemos ver los procesos de toma de decisiones de otros lugares ej. Local Paris, participación en el Prix de... etc. pero lamentablemente no veo que tengan un uso fluido. (seguiremos intentando)
No aturdo más
Un abrazo
Ivonne

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:52 am

There is not vote in the IC. And about decisions, well mainly there are no decisions per se. The only one since the beginning was to move the WSF to India in 2004 and to have decentralized WSF in 2006. And there were made rather by consensus.

steph

Postby steph » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:31 pm

EN/FR

EN
hi there

I'll stick to the easy point first : decision in the IC. I frankly disagree with you :). The IC and its commission do take political decisions which bear a huge meaning : they have an impact on the shape of the WSF, its rythm, its frequency, its location, how the event will be prepared, etc. So, the least Babels can do, as an official member of the IC, is to TAKE PART INTO THOSE thinggies that are decisions without being called decisions.

As you point out, Babels is a bit biased in the IC : both the interpreter of the debates and an official member in the political decisions. It's unfortunate though that no one's put the interpretation and translation issue on the table regarding the split WSF of 2006 and the ambitions for 2007 - neither the participants of the IC, nor Babels itself, as a member among the others.

Now.... this is way beyond your feeling or my feeling on this : it's up to the Babels people interesting in the IC and its commission to make their own opinion on the issue. Thing is, the way we're organized now means that only a handful of people have access to the information. Mostly because this is a brand new path, a real work in process.

SO, my first proposal is to seize the opportunity of the current enlargement of the network, to register whoever is interested in this issue on the mailing list that receive the emails dealing with the preparation of the IC meetings and its commission meetings. The very first reason being that it's a good way to learn how it works.

Leda's suggested something very meaningful but implying a workload that is very heavy to carry on. I, for sure, donot volunteer to tackle it, on top of all the things I committed to carry. So maybe it would be easier if the people interested had direct access to the information flow and others helped by writing a text on the IC, Babels' participation in it and what's at stake for 2006 and 2007.

Second.... it's not about being right or wrong, Laurent. We just happen to have very different points of view on the matter - or a very different way of expressing a political vision. There is an issue on the political representation of Babels and dismissing it as bullshit is not the way to deal with this issue.

Wether we like it or not, everytime somebody goes and acts as a temporary delegate for Babels, she/he's identified as a representation of Babels. And the very reason why Babels people may attend the IC meeting and/or its commission is precisely because they're a part of Babels. As far as I remember, the IC doesnot hold public conferences inviting everyone and her/his cousin to attend. If I'm correct, they even restrict the number of delegates per member organization. Meaning : you cannot just step into this without being identified as Babels. Now, I would agree this is a matter of IC members being sticking to "old politics". Unfortunately, we encourage this when the same people volunteer to go again and again for Babels in the same international agoras, composed of trade unionists, NGO members, permanent network members who all tend to cling to familiar faces to work with.

Now, my question is : how to we deal with this issue in a creative, inclusive and efficient way? HOw do we make it possible, altogether, to share the information on this matter so that there is no DE FACTO hierarchy? How does Babels make it possible for people who are interested in this to attend? Meaning : how do we share the information in a horizontal way, so that people interested can decide what to do? especially if we, as a group, have to be creative when it comes to the financial resources.

Relying on the sole good will of people volunteering to go has never been the way to be inclusive and participative if the information hasnot been shared beforehand, a collective debate hasnot taken place and a collective solution to help people go has not been found. It's just paramount to highjacking a process
Is that all we can do?
stéph

_________

ciao ciao
Bon, le truc facile d'abord : les histoires de prise de décision au sein du CI. Ben.... je ne suis pas tout d'accord avec toi, :). Le Ci et ses commissions prennent des décisions politiques, qui ont un impact important : elles ont un impact sur la forme du FSM, son rythme, sa fréquence, son emplacement géographique, la façon dont le forum va être préparé, patati patata. Alors, la moindre des choses pour Babels, qui est membre officiel du CI, c'est de PRENDRE PART à ces trucs qui sont des décisions qui ne disent pas leur nom.

Mais tout ceci dépasse largement les points de vue personnels de l'un ou de l'autre: il revient surtout aux babelitas et babelitos intéressés à suivre le CI et ses commissions de se faire une opinion sur la question. Le hic, c'est que l'organisation actuelle du réseau fait que seule une poignée de personnes ont accès à l'information directement. Notamment parce que tout ceci relève d'une construction fort récente.

Comme tu le fais remarquer, Babels a le cul entre deux chaises au CI : à la fois en cabine à faciliter les débats et membre officiel participant aux décisions officielles. Il est fort dommage à ce titre, que personne n'ait mentionné la question de l'interprétation et traduction des FSM éclatés de 2006 et des ambitions de 2007 - ni les organisations membres du CI, ni Babels-même, en tant que membre au sein des autres membres.

Donc, ma première proposition serait de saisir l'opportunité de l'agrandissement actuel du réseau, pour enregistrer toutes les personnes qui sont intéressées à suivre l'actualité du CI et le travail de ses réunions, sur la mailing list qui reçoit les infos concernant la tenue de leurs réunions. C'est pas mal pour comprendre ce qui se passe.

Leda a suggéré quelque chose de très intéressant mais qui suppose un travail de titan - et je ne suis pas volontaire pour l'assumer, en sus de ce que j'ai promis de faire par ailleurs. Il me semble que pour comprendre les enjeux de 2006 et 2007, mieux vaut recevoir l'info directement, quitte à ce que le groupe de personnes qui connaissent un peu le CI se fende d'un texte d'explications.

Bon, à part ça... il ne s'agit pas de savoir qui a tort ou qui a raison, Laurent. Il se trouve que nous avons des points de vue très différents sur la question - ou une façon très différente d'exprimer une vision politique. Il y a une question de représentation politique de Babels et le balayer du revers de la main en disant que c'est des conneries, ça ne suffit pas à affronter le problème.

Que cela nous plaise ou non, à chaque fois que quelqu'un se présente en tant que délégué temporaire de Babels, elle/il est identifié comme représentant de Babels. Or, la seule et unique raison qui fait que les babelitas et babelitos qui se rendent au CI et dans ses commissions, s'y rendent effectivement, c'est parce qu'ils sont membres du réseau Babels. Si je me souviens bien, le CI et ses commissions n'organisent pas des conférences publiques ouvertes à tout vent, et si je ne me trompe pas, ces réu sont même restreintes à deux délégués par organisation. Donc : on n'y met pas le pied si on n'est pas identifié comme Babels.

A mon sens, cela signifie que les membres du CI restent accrochés à un mode archaïque de faire de la politique. Malheureusement, nous l'encourageons en envoyant toujours les mêmes personnes pour Babels, au sein des mêmes agoras internationales, composées de syndicalistes, permanents d'asso, ONG, réseaux, qui ont tous tendance à se raccrocher à des visages connus pour travailler.

Alors : comment est-ce qu'on fait pour résoudre cette question de la représentation de façon innovante, inclusive et efficace? Comment se débrouille-t-on, tous ensemble, pour partager l'info, de façon à éviter les hiérarchies DE FAIT? Comment Babels se démerde-t-il pour permettre aux gens qui sont intéressés à participer, d'y aller? Comment organise-t-on le partage horizontal de l'info, de façon à ce que les gens puissent prendre des décisions éclairées sur ce qu'il faut faire? surtout si on doit inventer des solutions pratiques à la question des moyens financiers.

Dépendre de la seule bonne volonté des gens qui sont disponibles et volontaires pour y aller n'a rien d'inclusif ou de participatif, si l'info n'a pas été partagée, si un débat collectif n'a pas eu lieu et si une solution collective pour aider les gens qui sont dispo et volontaires n'a pas été trouvée. C'est juste une façon d'imposer un état de fait.
C'est tout ce dont on est capable?
Stéph

steph

Postby steph » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:32 pm

Réponse de Monica sur la liste poacoord (avec son accord)

ES-FR
Deseo quede claro publicamente que estuve en la reunión del CI como representante Babels solo el día 24 de Enero 2005.
Las demas reuniones a las que he asisitido fueron como miembro Babels de la coordinación para el FSM 2005 con el Comité de metodología y programación que no es lo mismo.
Mi participación ademas fue consultada y no excluida como sucedió en Quito.
En India pude asistir un día al CI como intérprete con Cheo y Philippe.
Como estaré en Europa por esas fechas, al igual que Cheo estoy interesada en participar,no veo porque no.
Pero me pregunto porque esta información sobre las grandes reunionnes siempre es la misma persona la que la tiene y no nos llega a todo Babels.

FR
J´aimerais signaler pour qu´on fasse publiquement une acclaration, qu´UNE seule fois j´ai participé comme membre Babels à la réunion du CI,le 24 janvier 2005.
Les autres fois cela a été avec la Comission de méthodologie et Programmation,pour la préparation du FSM 2005 ce qui n´est pas pareil.
Ma participation au CI a été consulté,pas exclue comme à Quito.

En Inde j´ai participé un seul jour comme interprète du CI avec Cheo et Philippe,ce qui n´est pas pareil.
Comme je serai vers ces dates en Europe je ne vois pas pourquoi je ne pourrai pas participer,si cela m´intéresse.
Pour finir je me demande pourquoi c´est la ou les mèmes personnes qui ont ce genre d´information et pas tous les membres de babels.
Mónica

Chico Zapote

reunión del Consejo

Postby Chico Zapote » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:41 pm

HOLA!!!!
he leido con mucho interés todo esto del Consejo y de Babels, pero creo que todavía no entiendo lo que Steph propone. Habla mucho de lo que hay que evitar (y concordo con ella), pero no entiendo si tiene planes para concretizar todos sus discursitos bien bonitos. QUe se puede hacer??! Si se tienen que cambiar las cosas, MUYBIEN!, pero que es lo que se propone??? criticar es una cosa, proponer es otra!! Yo no tengo ideas, por eso pregunto a la gente que aparentemente "sabe de eso".
Chico

steph

Postby steph » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:27 am

FR/EN

EN

ciao ciao

Tout d'abord, je ne comprends pas ce que veut dire "sabe de eso"... je m'efforce d'écrire dans deux des langues que je connais autant que faire se peut, mais je lis à peine l'espagnol...sigh... Merci de traduire, par exemple.

C'est vrai que la critique est facile. Tout autant qu'attendre des autres qu'ils prennent les choses en main, si je puis me permettre :). Mais je crois surtout qu'il y a confusion entre deux choses ici : l'organisation du passage d'info sur le CI, la création d'un espace d'échange sur la présence de Babels d'une part, et l'organisation concrète de la présence de babelitas et babelitos au CI et dans ses commissions, avec tout le va-et-vient informatif que cela suppose entre les gens qui s'y rendent et le reste du réseau, d'autre part.

Il me semble difficile d'organiser quoi que ce soit de façon inclusive, sans partager l'information au départ... alors... je suis déjà en train de proposer (et de faire) quelque chose, Chico : ouvrir l'accès à l'information concernant le CI, ses commissions et ce que cela représente pour Babels. Mais c'est vraiment pas suffisant !!!! Sans doute serait-il utile d'avoir un groupe de travail international composé de plusieurs personnes pour suivre sur cette question : pê qu'on peut avoir plusieurs babelitas et babelitos inscrits sur la mailing list qui sert à l'organisation des réunions par le secrétariat du FSM, à qui on pourrait peut-être demander la rédaction d'une alerte quand une réunion se prépare, ou qu'un projet peut impliquer Babels? ça, c'est une proposition pour organiser le passage d'info. On pourrait aussi rédiger un mini-texte à publier sur le site de babels pour expliquer ce qu'est le CI, ce que font ses commissions et ce que Babels y fait.

L'autre versant, plus pratique, concerne surtout l'organisation des babelitas et babelitos souhaitant se rendre au CI. Et, personnellement, je ne souhaite pas m'y rendre. Du coup, il m'est aussi franchement difficile de proposer à d'autres de faire telle ou telle chose, alors que je n'assumerai pas le travail collectif que cela représente, tu vois ce que je veux dire? cela équivaudrait à donner des ordres à d'autres personnes, il me semble, non?

Tout ce que je peux faire, c'est tenter d'expliquer et attirer l'attention sur les outils et les espaces qui existent dans Babels pour que les gens qui le souhaitent, puissent s'organiser.

A mon avis, il y a deux aspects à aborder : le débat sur qui souhaite s'y rendre, ce qu'il faut y faire et comment rapporter au reste du réseau ce qui s'y est dit d'une part et de l'autre, organiser une équipe internationale si possible, avec des membres des 4 coins du réseau babels (Afrique y compris, parce qu'on l'oublie sans cesse).

Outils du réseau : un site internet, des mailing lists qui servent à chaque fois qu'un groupe se crée pour prendre en charge l'organisation d'un événement, un forum, un wiki, une base de données.

Financement des voyages : à chaque fois que le CI a demandé à Babels d'intervenir, ils ont pris en charge les frais des interprètes et délégués présents. On peut vérifier que c'est le cas pour la réunion des Pays-Bas aussi (Laurent?). Dans les mails forwardés depuis la mailing list du secrétariat du FSM aux mailing lists poacoord et babels, il est question d'un fonds de solidarité alimenté par les Européens pour permettre aux habitants de l'hémisphère sud d'assister à la réunion (aux délégués Latino-Américains qui ne peuvent pas se permettre de payer un tel billet, certes, mais aussi aux délégués Africains et Asiatiques) : babels peut pê demander le financement d'un ou deux billets? peut-être que ce n'est pas possible. Mais peut-être que c'est possible.
;)
Stéph

EN
ciao ciao
First of all, sorry but I donot understand what "sabe de eso" means. I'm striving to write in 2 languages and hardly read Spanish, so.... :( could you translate, for example?

You're right : criticizing is very easy - just as waiting for others to take charge, is, if I may say so. But I think there is a confusion here between 2 things : how the info flow is organized on the IC and the creation of a public space to exchange on Babels's participation in the IC on one hand and then, on the other, the concrete organization of the attending of babelitas and babelitos in the IC and its commissions, with all the flow of information that it implies, between those who go and the rest of the network, on the other hand.

I find it hard to organize anything in a horizontal and inclusive way if information is not made available to start with. So... I'm already doing and proposing something concrete, Chico : opening up the access to the information on the IC and its commissions and what it represents for Babels. But it's hardly enough!!! It may be more useful, maybe, if a bunch of people from all over the network were to follow the news on this topic and report back to the network whenever an IC meeting is to take place, or a project might imply Babels? That, is a concrete proposal to organize the information sharing. We could also think of writing a small text of explanation on what is the IC, what do its commission and what Babels does there.

But the second aspect of this has to do with the down-to-earth trip of babelitas and babelitos to the IC - and I doNOT want to attend myself. So, it's rather odd for me to suggest things for others to carry on. It's paramount to giving orders, right? Since I shall not carry out part of the collective work this implies.

All I can do, is try to explain stuff and try to attract people's attention on the spaces and the tools that do exist within Babels, so that anyone wanting to get organized to go, may have the means to do so.

In my opinion, there are 2 aspects to deal with : a debate on who's going, what's at stake and how to report back to the network and organizing an international team, including babelitas and babelitos from all over the network (including Africa, which we keep on forgetting).

Tools :a website, internal mailing lists used everytime a group arises to take charg of the organization of an event, a forum, a wiki, a database.

Travels : everytime the IC's asked Babels to intervene, they covered the expenses of the interpreters and delegates. Maybe we can check if this is the case in the Netherlands (Laurent?). The emails forwarded from the mailing list of the WSF secretariat onto the poacoord and babels lists, a Solidarity Fund is mentioned, made of contributions from the European organizations, so that delegates from Southern organizations may attend (delegates from Latin America, but also Asia and Africa). Maybe Babels could ask for the funding of one or 2 tickets? Maybe it's not possible, maybe it is.

;
Stéph

esa

IC Meeting

Postby esa » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:38 pm

EN

Let's make some concrete proposals, since the date of the meeting is coming. I suggest 4 delegates, one from each continent (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas). Each local coordination could appoint one name from their own region or continent (eg. Rio could propose someone from Argentina, not necessarily from Rio).

Bottonline: we have to act fast!

Regarding interpretation: could someone get in touch with the secretariat to ask them about this matter. An interpretation team must put together.

FR

On doit présenter tout de suite des actions concrètes. La date de la réunion s'approche vite. Je propose 4 délegués de chaque continent (Europe, Afrique, Asia, Ameriques). Chaque coordination locale pourrait proposer un mone pas nécessairement de sa région (eg. Rio pourrait proposer quelqu'un de l'Argentine).

Le truc, c'est qu'on doit faire vite.

Sur l 'interpretation: est-ce que quelqu'un peut se mettre en contact avec the secretariat à fin d'en savoir. Une équipe d'interprétes doit être formée.

Erica Resende
Rio

yan

delegation/representation

Postby yan » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:46 pm

EN, ES

just two remarks:

-I don't think it would be realistic to ask one person from each continent to come 'as Babels'. Babels in Africa doesn't exist, and Babels in Asia barely exists. I don't want to have a token African or Asian Babelite just to feel politically correct.

-I am uncomfortable with the idea that people would be delegates 'representing' Babels from whatever part of the world. Babels is supposed to be a horizontal network, not an NGO, not a union, not a political party. Start delegating, and you create a hierarchy. I'd rather see new/old volunteers propose to go to this f*** meeting and then see what happens, rather than designate Babels Pontifical Legates to the pompous IC meetings.

Soon, we'll start voting in Babels, paying memberships, we'll get a party ID, we'll have our delegates, and if we're well-behaved, we'll even get to go to the International Congress (IC). This is disgusting!

ES

solo dos puntos:

-just two remarks:

-no creo que sea una proposición realista la de buscar a una persona por continente para venir como 'Babels'. Babels en Africa no existe, y Babels en Asia apenas existe. No quiero tener muñequitos de Africa o Asia solo por ser políticamente correcto.

-no me gusta la idea de tener a delegados 'representando' a Babels de no se que parte del mundo. Se supone que Babels es una red horizontal, no una ONG, no un sindicato, no un partido politico. Cuando se empieza a delegar poder, se crean jerarquías. Prefiero que nuevos/no-tan-nuevos voluntarios se propongan para ir a esta mugrosa reunión, y ver que sucede, en vez de tener que designar Legados Pontificios Babelistas a la Corte Imperial (el CI).

Pronto empezaremos a votar en Babels, a pagar cotizaciones, a tener delegados, y nos darán una carta del partido, y si nos portamos bien, nos invitarán al Congreso Internacional (CI). ¡Horrível!

yan

esa

Postby esa » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:01 pm

EN

I get your point. So what do we do? Send an email to all members asking who would like to attend? But shouldn't the person who attend the meeting have some sort of accountability for what s/he says in the meeting?

I agree there with Steph. Babels is a network but, whether we like it not, the 3 or 4 individuals who will sit at the meeting table will be regarded by the others as "speakers" for Babels. Some accountability is needed.

FR

Je comprends ton avis. Mais quoi fire donc? Faire envoyer un mail au reseaux pour demander ce qui veut allez à Utrecht? Est-ce que les gens qui se rendent à la réunion ne doivent pas être responsables )accountable) pour ce qu'ils proposent à Utrecht?

Dans ce point, je suis d'accord avec Steph. Babels est un reseaux, mais les 3 ou 4 personnes qui se rendent à la réunion seront regardé par les autres membres du CI commes des "porte-paroles" de Babels. Il faut en avoir quelque responsabilité (accountability) dans ce cas.

Erica Resende
Rio

Return to “IC/CI - HC/CH - EPA/AEP”