Réu du conseil international du FSM - IC meeting

EN International Council - ES Consejo Internacional - FR Conseil international
EN Hemispheric Council - ES Consejo Hemisférico - FR Conseil hémisphérique
EN European Preparatory Assembly - ES Asamblea Europea de Preparación - FR Assemblée Européenne de Préparation
Leda
.
.
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA (USA)

Re: New arrival

Postby Leda » Fri May 20, 2005 7:14 pm

ljesover wrote:For me the non participation of Babels in Utrecht it is because we had nothing to do there. No "project"... no "representation".


I believe this is incorrect, Laurent. Otherwise, why did you write that you were going to the meeting as long as your wife lent you the car? Mónica was also going to it, because she did have interest in the Methodology Workgroup, if I'm not mistaken. I find all this fine. If people like you and Mónica are interested in the meeting, for whatever reason, just GO. I see no problem with that.

What I do see a problem with, and I believe you are with me on this, is talking publicly on behalf of Babels. That's the true representation problem. Thus: internally, if you and Mónica had gone to the meeting, Babels would know that you were just observers, not representatives; externally, because the WSF still works as the world does, you would be the representatives of Babels no matter what and, unless you consulted the network, you wouldn't be allowed to speak publicly.

Inertia has nothing to do with it, the proof is that not only did we took the opportunity to contact all people registered in Holland to tell them what was going on, but some did help only for translation during some meeting (memory) in Amsterdam before Utrecht.


It's a good thing that the huge debate about who would represent Babels in Utrecht at least yielded some good contacts in the region. But the debate was not conclusive: you and Mónica decided not to go for whatever reason, most probably because there was such a brouhaha about anyone being a representative of Babels at the meeting. And no one went. That's what I call "inertia": a lot of debate, no solution, and things simply DON'T HAPPEN (see: before the debate, Babels would have TWO representatives in Utrecht; after the debate, and probably because of it, and not because the debate resulted in a "no participation" decision, Babels had ZERO representatives in Utrecht).

We do not need to have representatives in any meeting if there is no project and no agenda


That's a fallacy. Babels has an ONGOING PROJECT with the WSF - every year we are involved in AT LEAST one forum. Ideally we DO NEED to be in every meeting of the IC, or the HC for that matter. We need the info. We need to know who is doing what, and when, not to be in the dark like we are with Caracas06 right now, not knowing at all who to address in order to get info. (For instance: a meeting happened in Caracas last weekend, we had local babelit@s volunteering to go "represent" Babels, but we could not get the info on where was the meeting taking place! That's the kind of info that would have been easily obtained in Havana, if Erika and Valentina could have travelled; or could have been easily obtained by them afterwards, by directly emailing people they would have met in Havana.)

In conclusion for me it is useless to have a long or short debate out of the blue and related with the IC like this. It is to exisiting projects to see if they have something at stake related with the IC and to share it here.


Then the debate IS necessary. There are a number of existing projects, including Caracas06, that might have something at stake in this June meeting of the IC in Barcelona. My suggestion was to jump start the debate now, while we still have time to decide who is going and for which purpose, and not to decide at the last minute, which usually means not deciding at all. In the end, some babelit@s who will happen to be around in Barcelona will or will not go - and if s/he goes, s/he will not be properly informed about the interests of all the projects going on at Babels right now, which need info from and contacts in the IC.

I resent totally the representation for the representation with no agenda (and discussion not related to anything real and concrete going on with real people, is for me no agenda)...


I believe I just mentioned a number of agendas that need the IC feedback. There's a number of real and concrete projects going on at Babels, with real people involved, and some of them are really LOST, because they don't even know a soul in the IC with whom to at least exchange emails.

Leda

---------------

ljesover wrote:Pour moi la non participation de Babels à Utrecht ne relève pas de l'i,ertier mais du fait qu enous n'avions rien à y faire. Pas de "projet" ... pas de "représentation".


Je crois que cela n'est pas correct, Laurent. Sinon pourquoi a tu écris que tu allais à la réu si ta femme te prêtait la voiture? Mónica aussi avait des plans pour y aller, car elle était interessée au groupe de travail sur Méthodology, si je ne me trompe pas. Je trouve que c'est bien tout ça. Si des gens comme toi et Mónica sont interessées à la réu, pour n'importe quelle raison, ALLEZ-Y! Je vois de problème du tout.

Où je vois de problèmes, et je crois que tu es d'accord avec moi là-dessus, c'est de parler publiquement au nom de Babels. C'est là le vrai problème de la répresentation. Donc: internement, si toi et Mónica étaient allés à la réu, Babels saurait que vous n'étiez que des observateurs, pas de répresentants; externement, car le FSM travaille encore comme le reste du monde, vous seriez des répresentants de Babels de toute façon et, à moins que vous auriez consulté le réseau, vous ne pourriez pas parler publiquement.

L'inertie na rien à voir là dedans. La preuve, nous en avons profité pour contacter les personnes enregistrées en Hollande et leur expliquer ce qui se passait, la preuve quelques uns ont aidé durant une réunion (mémoire) à Amsterdam avant Utrecht.


C'est une bonne chose que le grand débat sur qui allait répresenter Babels à Utrecht ai résulté en quelques bons contacts dans la région. Mais le débat n'était pas conclusif: toi et Mónica ont décider de ne pas aller pour n'importe quelle raison, très probablement parce que il y a eu un énorme brouhaha sur la question de la répresentation de Babels à la réu. Et personne y est allée. C'est bien ça que j'appelle "inertie": un tas de débat, pas de solution, et les choses tout simplement ne se réalizent pas (tu vois, avant le débat Babels allait avoir DEUX répresentants à Utrecht; après le débat, et probablement à cause du débat et non pas parce le débat a résulté en une décision de "non participation", Babels avait ZERO répresentants à Utrecht).

Nous n'avons pas besoin d'avoir des représentants dans les rénuions s'il n'existe aucun projet et donc aucun agenda


Ça, c'est un sophisme. Babels a un PROJET CONTINU avec le FSM - tous les ans on est engagés à AU MOINS un forum. Idéalement, nous AVONS BESOIN d'être à tous les réus du CI et même du CH. On a besoin de l'info. On a besoin de savoir qui fait quoi, et quand, pour ne pas être dans le noir comme nous sommes maintenant avec Caracas06, sans savoir du tout à qui nous adresser pour obtenir de l'info. (Par example: il y a eu une réu à Caracas le dernier weekend, on avait des babelit@s bénévoles à Caracas qui voulaient y aller pour "répresenter" Babels, mais on a pas réussi à obtenir l'info sur OÙ la réu aurait lieu! Ce genre d'info serait facilement obtenue à La Habane, si Erika et Valentina auraient pu y aller; ou l'info pourrait être obtenue après, à travers d'emails directes aux gens qu'elles auraient retrouvées à Cuba.)

En conclusion, pour moi il est inutile d'avoir un débat long ou court ainsi déraciné et qui serait relié au CI ainsi. SI des projets ont quelques chose à voir avec ce CI, c'est à eux de le voir et de l'exprimer ici...


Alors le débat EST nécéssaire. Il y a un nombre de projets existents, y compris Caracas06, qui peuvent avoir quelque chose à voiir avec la réu du CI ce Juin à Barcelonne. Ce que je suggère c'est de commencer le débat maintenant, quand on a encore du temps pour décider qui va et pour quoi faire, et non pas de décider à la dernière minute, ce qui souvent veut dire ne pas décider du tout. À la fin, quelques babelit@s qui seront par hasard à Barcelonne vont ou ne vont pas aller à la réu - et s'il/elle va, il/elle ne sera pas adéquatement informé/é sur les intérêts de tous les projets en cours à Babels à cemoment, qui ont besoin d'info e des contacts au CI.

Je naime pas du tout la représentation pour la représentation sans agenda (et une discussion qui n'est pas lié à quelque chose de conret et de réel dans lequel il y a des personnes réelles qui font des choses concrètes est pour moi une absence d'agenda)...


Je crois avoir juste mentionné un bon nombre d'agendas qui ont besoin du "feedback" du CI. Il y a un nombre de projets réels et concrets en cours à Babels, avec de personnes réelles engagées, et quelques-unes entre elles sont vraiment PERDUES, car elles ne connaissent même pas une âme au CI avec qui elles pourraient au moins exchanger des emails.

Leda

monica
.
.
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:48 pm

Postby monica » Sat May 21, 2005 7:28 am

Hola
Veo como siempre los voluntarios afanados antes de tiempo.Pregunto:El CI y el Comite organizador del FS en Venezuela han solicitado oficialmente el servicio de Interpretacion de Babels?Me gustaria verlo publicado en el Foro,al alcance de todos.
Para el FSE de Grecia asi fue hecho ,una invitacion oficial a participar fue expresada y por ello Babels participara.Alguien tiene copia del Mensaje Oficial al respecto?
Monica
Bonjour.
Comme d' habitude y a toujours de volontaires pressés à l' avance.Je pose la question/
Le CI ou le Comité Organisateur du FS au Vénézuela nous ont demandé officiellement notre participation?
J' aimerais voir ce message sur le Forum ,à la porté de tout le monde.Pour le FSE cela s' est ainsi passé et pour cete raison babels y participera.Quelqu' un a une copie de ce messsage ?
Monica

Leda
.
.
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA (USA)

Postby Leda » Mon May 23, 2005 8:00 pm

ES
monica wrote:Hola
Veo como siempre los voluntarios afanados antes de tiempo.Pregunto:El CI y el Comite organizador del FS en Venezuela han solicitado oficialmente el servicio de Interpretacion de Babels?Me gustaria verlo publicado en el Foro,al alcance de todos.
Para el FSE de Grecia asi fue hecho ,una invitacion oficial a participar fue expresada y por ello Babels participara.Alguien tiene copia del Mensaje Oficial al respecto?
Monica


Buena pregunta, Mónica. Pero es necesario tener en mente que, en Europa, Babels ha estado presente a casi todas las reuniones que tenian que ver con los foros sociales europeos. Lo mismo no es verdad para las Américas.
Leda

FR
monica wrote:Bonjour.
Comme d' habitude y a toujours de volontaires pressés à l' avance.Je pose la question/
Le CI ou le Comité Organisateur du FS au Vénézuela nous ont demandé officiellement notre participation?
J' aimerais voir ce message sur le Forum ,à la porté de tout le monde.Pour le FSE cela s' est ainsi passé et pour cete raison babels y participera.Quelqu' un a une copie de ce messsage ?
Monica


Bonne question, Mónica. Mais il nécéssaire de tenir présent qu'en Europe Babels a participé à presque toutes les réus qui avaient à voir avec les forums sociaux européens. Le même n'est pas vrai pour les Amériques.
Leda

yan
.
.
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:35 pm

presentar una propuesta/ confirmar nuestra participacion

Postby yan » Tue May 24, 2005 6:08 pm

ES, FR

Leda wrote:Buena pregunta, Mónica. Pero es necesario tener en mente que, en Europa, Babels ha estado presente a casi todas las reuniones que tenian que ver con los foros sociales europeos. Lo mismo no es verdad para las Américas.
Leda


A mi me parece muy claro lo que dice Mónica: en Europa, Babels ha sido parte del proceso del Foro social europeo desde el principio. Por eso, Babels ha sido invitado a participar a reuniones de trabajo -- aunque sea sólo para interpretar, y nada más. Eso no se compara con lo que sucede en las Américas: aún no tenemos ninguna confirmación por parte del Consejo Hemisférico de que quieren trabajar con Babels para el evento en Caracas.

El fracaso del sistema Nomad en Quito y en Porto Alegre (poco importa porqué fracasó) tiene graves consecuencias para la reputación de Babels en América Latina. Para mucha gente, la interpretación significa Babels y Nomad, como si fuese la misma cosa, aunque somos redes distintas y que nos asociamos para unos eventos (pero no todos). Muchas personas han perdido confianza en Babels -- aunque creo que no fue la culpa de Babels si la interpretación no funcionó como se debía en Quito o Porto Alegre. En América Latina, se hizo un trabajo importante de movilización e información, de creación de grupos de intérpretes y traductores voluntarios y respetuosos de nuestros principios de red internacional (véase nuestra Carta de Principios). Eso hay que recordarlo.

Creo que para salvar nuestra reputación -- una reputación aún viva en otros procesos de los foros sociales -- tenemos que apoyarnos en nuestros principios: solidaridad, cooperación, confianza mútua. Antes de participar a una reunión de trabajo, es importante tener una confirmación de que Babels se encargará de la interpretación para dicho proyecto. Una vez confirmada nuestra participación par Caracas (si es que se confirma), podemos pedirles a los otros miembros de Babels que estarán en Barcelona durante el Foro Social Mediterráneo que nos informen de lo que se discutió. Afortunadamente, sabemos que tenemos tiempo para averiguar quién estará en el Foro social Mediterráneo, y podemos pedirles a los otros miembros de Babels que sean nuestros portavoces. Pero sin confirmación de parte de los organizadores, y sin propuesta nuestra de un proyecto político para Caracas, querer a toda costa 'participar' a una reunión me parece un error que sólo contribuirá a arruinar la reputación de nuestra red. Aún nos queda tiempo para ponernos de acuerdo sobre lo que queremos proponer a los organizadores, ¡aprovechémoslo! Ya tenemos una propuesta en el wiki, tenemos que aceptarla, y presentarla a toda la red Babels.
Yan

FR

Leda wrote:Bonne question, Mónica. Mais il nécéssaire de tenir présent qu'en Europe Babels a participé à presque toutes les réus qui avaient à voir avec les forums sociaux européens. Le même n'est pas vrai pour les Amériques.
Leda


Moi j'ai l'impression que ce qu'a dit Monica est tres clair: en Europe, Babels a toujours fait partie du processus du Forum social europeen, depuis le debut. C'est pour ca que Babels a ete invite a participer aux reunions de travail -- meme si ce n'etait que pour interpreter, et rien de plus. Ce n'est pas comparable avec ce qui se passe sur le continent americain: nous n'avons toujours aucune confirmation du Conseil hemispherique sur son desir de travailler avec Babels pour l'evenement a Caracas.

L'echec du systeme Nomad a Quito et a Porto Alegre (peu importent les raisons de cet echec) a de graves consequences pour la reputation de Babels en Amerique Latine. Pour beaucoup de gens, l'interpretation, c'est Babels et Nomad, une et meme chose, alors que nous sommes des reseaux distincts qui nous sommes associes pour certains evenements (mais pas tous). Beaucoup de gens ont perdu confiance dans Babels -- meme si je crois que ce n'est pas de la faute de Babels si l'interpretation n'a pas pu fonctionner comme elle aurait du a Quito ou a Porto Alegre. En Amerique Latine, un effort important d'information et de mobilisation a ete fait, de creation de groupoes d'interpretes et de traducteurs benevoles et qui respectent nos principes de reseau international (lisez notre Charte de Principes). Il ne faut pas oublier ca.

Je crois que pour sauver notre reputation -- une reputation encore reelle dans d'autres processus des forums sociaux -- il faut reprendre nos principes: solidarite, cooperation, confiance partagee. Avant de participer a une reunion de travail, il est important d'avoir une confirmation que c'est bien Babels qui se chargera de l'interpretation pour ce projet. Une fois notre participation pour Caracas confirmee (si elle est confirmee), on pourra demander aux autres membres de Babels qui seront a Barcelone pendant le Forum social mediterranneen qu'ils nous fassent un rapport sur ce qui aura ete dit. Heureusement, on sait qu'on a le temps de voir qui sera au Forum social mediterranneen, et on peut demander aux autres membres de Babels qu'ils soient nos porte-paroles. Mais sans confirmation de la part des organisateurs, et sans proposition de notre part de projet politique pour Caracas, vouloir a tout prix 'participer' a une reunion me semble etre une erreur qui va seulement finir de ternir la reputation de notre reseau. Il nous reste encore du temps pour nous mettre d'accord sur ce que l'on peut proposer aux organisateurs, profitons-en! Des propositions sont deja sur le wiki, et attendent toujours d'etre avalisees et presentees au reste du reseau Babels.
Yan

monica
.
.
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:48 pm

Agenda reunion CI BCN

Postby monica » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:27 pm

La agenda del CI en Barcelona esta asi por el momento:
18 19 de Junio: reuniones por comisiones
20 y 21 de Junio:Plenario

Habra unos 300 interpretes de Babels;somos red y pueden participar los que deseen para informar a los que estan trabajando en los Foros descentralizados.
Monica

yan
.
.
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:35 pm

IC in Barcelona (June 2006) / CI en Barcelona (junio 2006)

Postby yan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:09 am

ES/ FR / EN

Insignes colegas,

Hemos logrado convencer al Grupo Facilitador Catalán encargado de organizar las reuniones del CI en Barcelona, asi como a la cooperativa que había sido encargada de la interpretación de dichas reuniones, que Babels podía y quería interpretar para el CI, y que era provechoso para todos proceder así. Babels es miembro del CI, y nuestro deber es proporcionarle a este comité una interpretación de calidad para que la organización de los próximos foros mundiales se haga en mejores condiciones, y con mayor participación de grupos lingüísticamente excluidos.

Mónica Salom se encargó de organizar la interpretación para Babels. Si las personas que estarán en BCN pueden ayudarle o proponerse de intérpretes, se lo agradecemos. Mónica no tiene don de ubicuidad, y el FSMed requiere aún muchísimo trabajo.

Un llamado a observador@s voluntari@s será comunicado a tod@s los voluntari@s Babels en el FSMed y residentes de BCN para que Babels esté presente durante todas las reuniones de todas las Comisiones del CI. De ese modo, tendremos noticias frescas de todas las reuniones del CI, y todos estaremos contentos.

Afortunadamente, no se gastarán los escasos recursos de los movimientos sociales para mandar a personas únicamente para ser delegad@s o representant@s de Babels durante las reuniones del CI. Nos organizamos como red, aprovechando la presencia de much@s camarad@s en Barcelona para el FS Med que podrán asistir a las reuniones.

Un saludo,
yan

FR

Cher(e)s ami(e)s,

Nous avons réussi à convaincre le Groupe Facilitateur Catalan chargé d'organiser les réunions du CI à Barcelone, ainsi que la coopérative initialement responsable de l'interprétation pour ces réunions, que Babels pouvait et souhaitait interpréter pour le CI, et qu'il était utile de procéder ainsi. Babels est membre du CI, et il est de notre devoir de proposer à ce comité une interprétation de qualité pour que l'organisation des prochains forums mondiaux se fasse dans de bonnes conditions, et avec une plus grande participation de groupes linguistiquement marginalisés.

Mónica Salom s'est chargé d'organiser l'interprétation pour Babels. Si des personnes qui seront à BCN peuvent l'aider ou se proposer comme interprètes, nous vous en remercions. Mónica n'a pas de don d'ubiquité, et il reste encore beacoup de travail à faire pour le FSMed.

Un appel à observateurs volontaires sera communiqué à tous les volontaires Babels présents au FSMed ou résidant à BCN pour que Babels puisse être présent à toutes les réunions de toutes les Commissions du CI. Ainsi, nous aurons les dernières informations de toutes les réunions du CI, et tout ira pour le mieux.

Heureusement, nous n'allons pas dépenser les maigres moyens des mouvements sociaux pour envoyer des personnes uniquement comme délégué(e)s ou représentant(e)s de Babels pendant les réunions du CI. Nous sommes un réseau, et pouvons profiter de la présence de nombreux camarades à Barcelone pour le FS Med pour assister aux réunions.

Salutations,
yan

EN

Dear friends,

We've managed to convice the Catalan Facilitating Group in charge of organizing the IC meetings in Barcelona, as well as the cooperative initially in charge of the interpreting for these meetings, that Babels could and wanted to interpret for the IC, and that it was beneficial to work this way. Babels is a member of the IC, and it is our duty to provide this committee with quality interpretation so that the organization of future world social forums can be done in good conditions, and with a greater participation of groups hitherto linguistically excluded.

Mónica Salom took care of organizing the interpretation for Babels. If anyone who will be in BCN can help her or propose their help as interpreters, we'd be grateful. Mónica lacks the gift of ubiquity, and there is still a lot of work to do for the FSMed.

A call for volunteer observers will be given to all the Babels volunteers who will be at the FSMed or those living in BCN so that Babels can be present at all the meetings of the IC Commissions. Thus, we'll have the latest information from all the IC meetings, and all will be well.

Fortunately, we won't have to waste the meagre financial means of the social movements to send people who would be at the meetings only as Babels delegates or representatives. We are a network, and we can take advantage of the presence of numerous comrades in Barcelona during the FS Med for them to go to the meetings.

Best,
Yan

monica
.
.
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:48 pm

Agenda CI en Barcelona

Postby monica » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:54 am

Lugar
Martin Codolar
Av Cardenal Vidal i barraquer,1
Metro Montbau


18 y 19 de junio
10h00.
Reunion por comisiones>interpretacion al Espanol e Ingles para el dia 19 unicamente
18 de junio
Comision de recursos
19 de junio Comisiones de comunicacion,contenido y metodologia, estrategias y expansion.

20 de junio
Interpretacion a tres Idiomas
Mesas de debate para la discusion sobre estrategia
1.Las estrategias y las contradicciones de l mundo de Davos en la fase belica del neoliberalismo
2.Las respuestas de la sociedad civil,como mantener la diversidad y ser eficaz en la lucha por un mundo nuevo
3.Conclusion.a la luz de la discusion realizada,que encaminamientos practicos resultan para l proceso FSM y sus eventos


21 de junio
9hoo a 13hoo
Informes sobre el FSM 2006 policentrico
Informes de las Comisiones del CI teniendo en vista el proceso 2006
15h00 a 19h00
Arquitectura del proceso y facilitacion ,incluye el tema del secretariado internacional

22 de junio

solo la manana
FSM 2007 y FSM 2008
Otros asuntos y encaminamientos

pyulis
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:23 am
Location: Athens
Contact:

IC Meeting Report, Rumba de Barcelona

Postby pyulis » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 am

Dear friends
I attended the IC Meeting in Barcelona from 18th to the 22nd of June 2005 as a member of the Greek Social Forum. A lot of Europeans were there because we had a proposition for a new way of participation in the IC.
I also said some things as BABELS-el. Reference to BABELS was made by Christofe Aguiton and Judith made a short announcement as BABELS.
I will give you the information but in the end I must say some things as my understanding of the problems ahead of us.

JUST THE FACTS
1. Simultaneously between 26th and 30th of January 2006 in three cities of the world Bamako (Mali-Africa), Caracas (Venezuela) and Karachi (Pakistan) there will be a World Social Forum. This project is called Polycentric WSF and it was decided in POA last January. Caracas is expecting 60.000 people, Karachi 100.000 and Mali didn’t give a figure. I remind you that 3 months after these events is the European Social Forum (April 2006). Also the Indian Delegation tolled us that there is a big possibility of having a South/SouthEast Asia Social Forum in Spring or Summer 2006(possible Seoul).
On practical information
a) Caracas seems to be on its way. It will use the center of the city, the university and other big buildings. They stated they will stay independent from the State and not use official police authorities for security.
b) On the contrary the Karachi WSF will use state police and raised questions on the relation with the Pakistan regime. They answered that they are hostile with the regime but they don’t think it will try to stop the organization.
c) Bamako will use football fields, villages around the city, unemployed doctors, etc. A lot is depending on Western solidarity. The government is friendly to the WSF

2. BABELS were not consulted on this matter and wasn’t present in the IC meeting that decided it. This was expressed very well from the Pakistan S.F that asked the IC to provide translation for them. Caracas will decide officially in August but looking willing to ask BABELS to participate. Mali was more enthusiastic about BABELS because there resources are less than zero. For the same reasons they want to try the Greek ALIS project.

3. BABELS weren’t mentioned by any organizer and it was profound that there is no logistics that takes translation in to account. The next IC Meeting will take place possible in March 2006 in Kenya, after the Polycentric.

4. The main debates of the IC were the reforms it needs and the way they will be done. The Expansion Committee provided a so called Road Map that organizes in the next 2 years these reforms. It will detect the members that don’t take part in the IC really, all members will reapply for entering the IC and it will try to provide seats to underrepresented regions, thematic forums and social layers. To this proposition the European one was attached of allowing right now representatives from regional, sub regional and thematic forums to take part in the IC. This will allow the ESF to have 2 delegates and 2 observers in the next IC Meeting if the ESF Assembly would agree on it in Istanbul (this September).This proposition was blocked in the end of the meeting.
An innovation that appeared also in this meeting was a political discussion, a debate on the strategies of the Movement, the role of the civil society and the impact of the Forums on the Movement. Even if the discussion was uneven, it was the first time this kind of discussion (and not only organizing matters) took one day and shows a change in the IC culture.
It was decided to change the Secretariat in to a facilitating body and leave Sao Paolo headquarters the year 2008. If I understood well this is an important change and it reflects a new kind of balance of power in the IC.

REAL LIFE
Major changes are taking part in the WSF process concerning the structure of the WSF, the hierarchy of the IC, the balance of power in it, the way of discussion and the language politics.
From what I saw most of the members of the IC consider BABELS as a service provider, some nearly know the existence of us; most of them take it for granted that somebody will do the job.
I think that we have two kinds of problems to solve
1. Do we take part in the changes of the IC?
2. Do we make more obvious the importance of language and how this is organized?
Question 1) has to do with the essence of a Network, what it feels about
power games, what does it want from the WSF?
Question 2) has to do with the context of our activities, of how we protect diversity of languages, how we don’t become alternatives providers of translation.
For sure Babels is not present in the IC Meetings. Yes, they are in the booths but they are not in the discussions. In this IC Meeting Monica was in one Commission and I was in another (and they are four). In the official meeting it was me and Gemma. Babels in not visible and I hope people don’t think that because of the translation the IC members consider Babels a partner in the process. Most of them would be upset if Babels would ask to be treated like it is being treated in the ESF Assemblies
In addition to this social forums are multiplying and language diversity is getting more and more complicated. I don’ think it is possible for us to cover all needs in 2006. Does this mean that SF can be organized only from rich countries if they can pay professionals; or does it mean that language diversity will be reduced?
I think that babels as a project but also as a social experiment is very important. We shouldn’t allow it to be marginalized or demoralized. We must be there were our context is the issue, in the IC or the SF Assemblies. And speak about us.

Panayotis Yulis
Babels-el (honorary)

monica
.
.
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:48 pm

IC meeting in BCN

Postby monica » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:16 pm

ES por el momento
CI en BCN
(Para mas información ver en el Foro lo relacionado al CI en BCN)
Luego de las conversaciones durante la primera semana de junio con el Grupo Organizador de BCN, responsable de acoger al CI, y con la cooperativa de intérpretes que en un comienzo cubriría la interpretación remunerada, Babels pudo llegar al acuerdo de interpretar el CI con las siguientes estipulaciones
1.- Los intérpretes debían demostrar una vasta experiencia y ser muy profesionales dada la importancia de las discusiones que se llevarían a cabo.
2.- Deberían residir en BCN o sus alrededores con el fin de evitar gastos de transporte y alojamiento.
De acuerdo a lo anterior y con ayuda de Nuria Vallano, responsable de la cooperativa, quien ofreció su ayuda y colaboración a babels, procedimos a establecer las cabinas necesarias para el efecto, previo llamado por mail a Babels Barcelona, pidiendo comunicarse con la Oficina de Babels Barcelona, al numero de teléfono allí escrito o respondiendo a mi mail personal. Las personas que estuvieron colaborando en la Oficina Fsmed en aquellos días estaban al tanto de la situación. Nunca fue secreto como algunos pretenden. Deseo agradecer públicamente a Nuria por su entendimiento y generosidad con la red, y colaboración a partir del día 20, fecha en que emprendí mi viaje de regreso a Colombia.
Lamento que Silvia Prati confundiera la Asamblea de los Movimientos Sociales y su responsabilidad para organizar la interpretación del día 19 con la reunión del CI de la cual estaba informada por el mail enviado por Yan y por Cathy misma.

El día 19, se reunió el CI en 4 comisiones. Panayotis estuvo en una y yo estuve en la de metología y contenidos, donde había cabinas de interpretación. Igualmente asistieron y participaron por Babels, Gerardo Barrero y Germán Guillot, los cuales alternaron cabina con participación y ayudaron en la Comisión de estrategias.
Resumen de la reunión del día 19. Comisión de Metodología y Contenido.1) Presentación-Informe de Utrech, ya que muchos de los asistentes no habían estado presentes en Holanda.
2) Presentación breve del CH del cual la relataría colgada en el foro del día 4 de junio da fe y el porque de sus conclusiones y necesidades.
Apoyaron la necesidad de ampliar el CH y vincular mas redes, así como incluir Foros como el Panamazónico y el de las Américas dentro del de Caracas como parte del proceso de fortalecimiento.

3.- Informe de los responsables del FSM policéntrico en Caracas sobre el estado actual de preparación. Los compañeros venezolanos rindieron su informe y declararon a la reunión que podríamos estar tranquilos, que el Presidente Chavez en ningún momento pretendía utilizar al Foro y que si era necesario que se fuera del país durante esa semana, así lo haría, con el fin de no ser un obstáculo para el desarrollo del foro en Venezuela.
Por el momento mantienen los 11 espacios temáticos más los 5 de las Américas. La consulta temática cierra el 17 de agosto.
En el mes de noviembre cerrarán la propuesta de actividades. En resumen Caracas será a su vez FSM policéntrico mas II Foro de las Américas.
Habrá foros simultáneos como el de la Educación y la lucha contra el ALCA, y el Foro de Autoridades locales. Se esperan mas de 60.000 participantes.

4.- Presentación del FSM policéntrico en Karachi, Paquistán. Fecha: 26 a 31 de enero de 2006. Costo: entre 80.000 y 100.000 dólares. Espacio: terreno de 500 hectáreas, con espacios abiertos. Insistieron en la necesidad de orientación y apoyo a todo nivel. Se calcula una afluencia de 30.000 personas de fuera ,15.000 provenientes de India, 5000 de Nepal, y Bangladesh y los demás de Irán y asistencia de minorías étnicas. Desean enfatizar en el problema de minorías y de género, entre otros.
5.- Presentación del proceso FSM en Malí y las dificultades logísticas y políticas a hacer frente. Su situación es mas dramática que la de Paquistan y esperan en los días sucesivos llegar a acuerdos concretos.
6.- Presentación de la movilización en los Países del Norte, Noruega, Finlandia, Suecia, etc. para la realización de Foros nacionales o regionales y el fracaso en el intento, pues las redes aun no están preparadas. Hay que desarrollarlas mas.
7.- Debate sobre el proceso Foro, la intervención de figuras políticas y partidos políticos y fidelidad a la Carta del FSM para evitar situaciones ambiguas .
8.- Debate sobre la necesidad de esclarecer cual será el leitmotiv de los foros policéntricos,a continuar los siguientes días.
9.- Exposición metodológica sobre instrumentos de consulta por WEB a cargo de Amid de India y Pierre George (Caritas)……………..

Durante una pausa, nos reunimos informalmente miembros del Foro Social Colombia,
responsables y actores del CH y miembros de la Organización del Foro Caracas los cuales informaron lo siguiente:
1) CUBA propone y desea colaborar con el FSM de Caracas apoyando la interpretación con 150 intérpretes voluntarios calificados.
2) China aporta 10 000 radios y se comenzarán a hacer las pruebas de sonido en el próximo festival de la Juventud.
3) Su voluntad de trabajar en colaboración con Babels.


Opinión Personal:
Con tal número de intérpretes provenientes de Cuba, el Foro quedaría prácticamente cubierto en materia de interpretación, los restantes podrían ser Babels Venezolanos, y así se cubren las necesidades sin costos enormes.
2) Babels puede y debe compartir su experiencia con nuevas redes de interpretación, no veo porque debemos ser los únicos ni el monopolio de los Foros. Podemos trabajar en colaboración con los cubanos y bajo su égida para este Foro.
3) Podemos aportar y colaborar con las cabinas de lenguas indígenas ya probadas y avaladas como la del Quechua, Guaraní y entrenar a los nuevos candidatos de lenguas Wayú y Warao.


Return to “IC/CI - HC/CH - EPA/AEP”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest