Participants

EN Project of International Meeting of Babels and Networks for Alternative Translation and Communication Systems. ES Proyecto de Reunión Internacional sobre Babels y Redes de Equipos de Traducción Alternativa. FR Projet de rencontres internationales des réseaux Babels et d’équipement de traduction alternatif.

Moderator: Babels June 2006

Clara de Borrero

Participants

Postby Clara de Borrero » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:38 pm

My question is regarding the expected participants to the Paris International Meeting.
Who is this meeting addressed to?
Will participants include professional interpreters, translators, and/or non-professionals?
Clara

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:40 am

From the document published February 7: "The International Meeting will not be an open meeting but a work process. Since we started working on it in September 2005, many people around the world have shown interest in this project and have made it possible to flesh out the details. The type of participants reflects this evolution: 60% of the budget is reserved for "Babels participants", in other words, for people who are actively involved in interpretation and translation." http://www.babels.org/a499.html
- Version española: http://www.babels.org/a501.html
- Version française: http://www.babels.org/a500.html

From the document published September 1 2005: "Each stage will depend on the active participation of volunteers interested in giving a hand in the meeting-building process. The program of events will be the natural outcome of the work that will have been done in the previous months. This project is a year-long effort which will culminate in a well-documented process, and not a one-off two-day costly jamboree with no past or future."
- Version española: http://www.babels.org/a322.html
- Version française: http://www.babels.org/a321.html

My personal reading of these two documents is that "participants" are considered as such depending on their "activism" in the program building and in past Babels experience whether in translation or in interpreting. Therefore that the level of expertise in both pro or non-pro will reflect naturally our diversity.

Clara de Borrero

Participants

Postby Clara de Borrero » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:12 pm

ljesover, thanks for your kind reply.
I understand the International Meeting is a work process and that 60% of the budget is reserved for Babels participants. If by that we mean people who are actively involved in interpretation, then I could conclude that non-professional and first-experience interpreters will not be included. Correct?
Clara

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:04 am

Yes people who are actively involved in translation and interpreting. But this include professional and non-professional alike. This include people who were actively involved in participating in past projects, for instance people who helped mobilized other for this or that Forum, or people who will commit to be actively involved in new projects. So *all* can be considered as potential participants. That is why in all the documents, the activity around the program process of the Intl. Meeting is emphasized. We know all that "all" is impossible in practical sense. And we commit to the fact that there might be a need for a process in order to balance who is exactly coming, due to pure practical reasons I repeat. But

1- this process if needed will be totally transaparent to all. Or so we will try.

2- the actual Meeting is just a stage of a process of work that should encompass before and after.

magicat

Some activism

Postby magicat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:39 pm

I think that there are many levels of comittment with Babels.
There are the professional interpreters that are for the booth thing, and even, some activists that helps to provide Babels estructure and organization, in diferents levels of the network. This combination of forces can enlarge Babels edges.

Gatti

qdantel

Postby qdantel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:05 pm

ljesover wrote:From the document published February 7: "The International Meeting will not be an open meeting but a work process. Since we started working on it in September 2005, many people around the world have shown interest in this project and have made it possible to flesh out the details. The type of participants reflects this evolution: 60% of the budget is reserved for "Babels participants", in other words, for people who are actively involved in interpretation and translation." http://www.babels.org/a499.html
- Version española: http://www.babels.org/a501.html
- Version française: http://www.babels.org/a500.html

From the document published September 1 2005: "Each stage will depend on the active participation of volunteers interested in giving a hand in the meeting-building process. The program of events will be the natural outcome of the work that will have been done in the previous months. This project is a year-long effort which will culminate in a well-documented process, and not a one-off two-day costly jamboree with no past or future."
- Version española: http://www.babels.org/a322.html
- Version française: http://www.babels.org/a321.html

My personal reading of these two documents is that "participants" are considered as such depending on their "activism" in the program building and in past Babels experience whether in translation or in interpreting. Therefore that the level of expertise in both pro or non-pro will reflect naturally our diversity.

Hi Laurent: I would like to confirm if the dates you refer in this message are not updated. Thanks!

Clara de Borrero

Participants

Postby Clara de Borrero » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:05 pm

Yes, Laurent. My initial question was very much oriented to the process that is going to be followed for selecting participants. I share Gatti's opinion; I think that for such a meeting to be effective and efficient participants should be mostly those of you who have been involved in administration and logistics of the different forums and those of us -professional interpreters- who have committed with Babels to work without pay and train others because we believe in this cause and who have already participated in one forum at least because only by having had the experience of participating can we bring answers to the table, based on lessons learned. But, Gatti, according to Babels' philosophy, "the booth thing" -as you call the magic by means of which interpreters immediately change what is said in one language into another- is performed by professionals, non-professionals, and first experience volunteers. That is true diversity, but I leave with all of you the following thought: Is diversity to such an extent required at a meeting intended for problem-solving or is so much diversity just going to create the usual chaos?
I would like to thank you both for participating in this debate.
Clara

magicat

meeting

Postby magicat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:02 pm

Clara,

I think that Babels colective is formed by people that, as you said, is able to translate any conceopt in other language, in spite of being pros or not. But, is also formed but some kind of people that is able to organize and find solutions to problems, old or new ones.
If the meeting is to solve questions like comittement, representation, paths to the future, horizontallity, membership, coordination, should be proper, that the both kind of volunteers could come.
For instance, a person like me, that knows a bit of many languages, but is not a professional interpreter: I really dont feel very confort in a booth, but a feel totally confort in the Head-Office, where I use to be a pro, cause I work doing cultural production for the Federal Govern of my country. I´d worked in the Head- Ofice even in Poa as in Caracas , and I tell you, there was a lot to do, and I have many questions about how it could be better for the future.
Apart that, I´m interested in develop a new come project called Babels Art, an idea just borned in Caracas. I not saying that cause of this, I deserve to be in the meeting, but I think I have something to give to it and like me, many other people could also have.
Other thing, was so important in Caracas, the contact with people that already had experience in another foruns . They helped us a lot.

Gatti

magicat

Still the meeting

Postby magicat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Sorry but I forgot something:

I believe that Babels divesity is one of the most interesting subjects of the network patrimony.

Gatti

Clara de Borrero

Participants

Postby Clara de Borrero » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi, Gatti.
Well, then, you and I are on the same drift. If you participated in POA and Caracas from the head-office, you know about administration and logistics. My idea, expressed in short words is that the International Meeting should enhance the relationship between the organizers and the interpreters; by doing so, each side will come to a better understanding of the position of the other party in order to solve many of the problems that the Babels organization now faces.
Kind regards,
Clara

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:30 pm

qdantel wrote:Hi Laurent: I would like to confirm if the dates you refer in this message are not updated. Thanks!

About the dates, well, we changed them because of the ESF which was postponed and therefore right during the first dates we issued. Therefore the dates for the International Meeting now are:

June 3rd to June 5th

If you see "6-8 May" in any document please know that these were the old dates.

magicat

babels Meeting

Postby magicat » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:29 pm

Quase um mês já se passou e não há nenhum relatório sobre o encontro de publicado Paris neste forum. Vamos colaborar com a transparência gente.

Almost a month had passed, and there´s any report posted in this forum, about Babels meeting in Paris. Let´s colaborate with transparency people.

Maria Brander

go to wiki

Postby Maria Brander » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi!
As far as I know, there are a couple of replies posted on the wiki already!

Besitos,
M.

magicat

Postby magicat » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Thanks Maria

Return to “Babels Intl Meeting - 3 > 5 June/Juin/Junio 2006”