Non - Proposals

EN Project of International Meeting of Babels and Networks for Alternative Translation and Communication Systems. ES Proyecto de Reunión Internacional sobre Babels y Redes de Equipos de Traducción Alternativa. FR Projet de rencontres internationales des réseaux Babels et d’équipement de traduction alternatif.

Moderator: Babels June 2006

AlexeiDrozdov

Activity-EN-Solidarity Action

Postby AlexeiDrozdov » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:50 am

PROPOSED ACTIVITY: Soldarity Action.

This activity linked with Social Territory. But it seems that The Social Territory is very general theme.

Our practice we as political activists have to communicate with each other to respond to events that happens near and there.

Just one example. In Russia, one trade union of state water supply company is oppressed by the bosses. This company "Vodokanal" works with ones in EU. One of the babelito :) in babels-ru wanted to contact with such trade union in France but he failed.
And there can be many other reasons for such space for solidarity cooperation. We are different we are political activists (it must be so, I think), not only organizers of SF for others.

So this is proposal to create Solidarity Action activity in Babels. We need it.

lorraine

Wiki training at June meeting ?

Postby lorraine » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:18 am

I know many will laugh at this, but just a humble suggestion:
It is not certain that all those present at the June meeting will have extensive computer experience/access. In fact if we have as I hope we will a number of people from the developing countries, many of us may have insufficient knowledge of the tools at our disposal for working together as an international network.
Might it be possible to have a sort of practical laboratory where Wiki-experts walk us through the basics of what we can do and how ?

Lorraine

Clara de Borrero

Wiki training

Postby Clara de Borrero » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 pm

Lorraine:
I endorse your proposal. I would love to receive some in-depth training, although I doubt that the Paris meeting will give us the time. Would it be possible to consider such training to take place the day after the International Meeting is over?
Clara

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Glad you agree Clara. If someone who is currently working on/in Wiki, and is maybe even based in Paris, could give an answer soon, that would be great. I will be buying my own ticket, unfortunately already costing around 130 euros, so once I fix it I will not be able to change dates. Because of study/work commitments I would prefer to concentrate everything into those 3 days (5th June is not a holiday in Italy) and not delay return to 6th, but if that is only option I will do so to get the benefit of learning something new.... so I wait on your ideas... Thanks
Lorraine

miguelsojo

MANUAL DE ORIENTACIÓN PARA PARTICIPACIÓN DE BABELS EN FSM

Postby miguelsojo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 pm

Propuesta de actividad
PROPUESTA DE DISEÑO DE UN MANUAL DE ORIENTACIÓN PARA LA PARTICIPACIÓN DE BABELS EN UN FORO SOCIAL

Con base a la experiencia que tuvimos en la organización de la participación de Babels en el FSM Caracas 2006, y como resultado de una de las propuestas con mayor apoyo en la última reunión (debriefing) en Caracas, proponemos el diseño para la elaboración de un manual de orientación que contenga, entre otros aspectos, una definición de la posición política de Babels ante las instancias del Foro, basada en su Carta de Principios, que sirva de insumo para adoptar una postura estratégica en la fase preparatoria. Asimismo, podría incluir una guía práctica de los pasos logísticos que el grupo de coordinadores locales debe dar durante la organización de la participación de Babels en un Foro.

Nuestra falta de experiencia en Babels causó dudas e incertidumbre en cuanto a la postura y la organización logística para nuestra participación. Si bien contamos con el apoyo de la red vía electrónica y recomendaciones políticas y logísticas en la página web de Babels, consideramos que faltó una guía más sistematizada que nos ayudara a evitar improvisaciones que resultaron en fallas, que afortunadamente fueron subsanadas en su mayoría por la buena disposición del grupo de voluntarios que llegó a Caracas. Igualmente consideramos que en la nueva etapa “policéntrica” del FSM, el caso se repetirá en países, que como nosotros, nunca han tenido la oportunidad de participar en la organización de Babels para un foro.

La experiencia de los que ya han participado en la preparación de un foro social a cualquier nivel es vital para ayudar a los países que se enfrentan a tal tarea por primera vez, y si bien dicha experiencia está registrada en informes y memorias en la página web, son específicos para las circunstancias de cada país anfitrión. Por lo tanto debería haber una guía sistematizada y aplicable en cualquier contexto geográfico. El propósito es presentar una propuesta de esquema para empezar juntos a diseñar una estrategia de trabajo (cronograma de reuniones, grupos de trabajo, etc.) para la elaboración del manual. Invitamos a los coordinadores de todos los países para que este manual sea un verdadero trabajo en conjunto de utilidad para la red en el futuro.

En este grupo de trabajo:
- Marta Viloria – Venezuela (martav@cantv.net)
- Miguel Sojo – Venezuela (miguelsojo@hotmail.com)
- Amaury Williams – Brasil (amaurywc@hotmail.com)
- Carlos Carrero – Venezuela (ccarrerodv@yahoo.es)
- Lorena Grimaud – Venezuela (lorena_grimaud@yahoo.fr)

Número de sesiones: 2.
Idioma: español.
Idioma de interpretación: francés, inglés.

PROPOSAL: OUTLINE OF A GUIDING MANUAL FOR BABELS’ PARTICIPATION IN A SOCIAL FORUM

Based on the experience lived during the organization of Babels’ participation at the WSF Caracas 2006, and as a result of one of the most strongly supported proposals at the last debriefing meeting that took place in Caracas, we propose the outline that will lead to the creation of a guiding manual containing, among other things, a defined political position for Babels, based on its Charter, when facing other forum authorities, which will lead us into adopting a strategic position during the preparation phase. It could also include a guidebook of the logistics steps the local coordinators must take during the organization of the participations of Babels at a Forum.

Our lack of experience in Babels caused doubts and uncertainties regarding our position and logistics organization for our participation. Despite the support we received from the network via email, and the political and logistic recommendations we followed through Babels website, it is our belief that a true systemized guide was needed that would help us prevent counterproductive uninformed decisions which fortunately were mostly salvaged, by the good disposition of the group of volunteers that made it to Caracas.

Similarly, we believe that in the new “polycentric” phase of the WSF, other inexperienced countries will have to face the same challenge of organizing Babels participation in a forum.

The experience of those who have already participated in the preparation of a social forum at any level is crucial to assist countries that face this task for the first time, and although this experience is recorded in reports and memoirs on the website, they are, they are country-specific. Therefore, there should be a systematized guide that is applicable in any geographical context. The purpose of this activity is to propose an outline so we can all start working together in the design of a work strategy (meeting schedule, work groups, etc.) for the creation of the manual. We invite the coordinators of all the countries so this manual can be the result of a true teamwork for the future benefit of the network.

This workgroup:
- Marta Viloria – Venezuela (martav@cantv.net)
- Miguel Sojo – Venezuela (miguelsojo@hotmail.com)
- Amaury Williams – Brazil (amaurywc@hotmail.com)
- Carlos Carrero – Venezuela (ccarrerodv@yahoo.es)
- Lorena Grimaud – Venezuela (lorena_grimaud@yahoo.fr)

Number of sessions: 2.
Language: Spanish.
Interpretation in: French, English.

Ivonne

sub-tema

Postby Ivonne » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Intenté colocar el tema de la autonomía financiera como un tema que sale de aquí, pero no lo logré.
Me parece que sería interesante articular el punto de discusión que planteo con lo que están planteando, como un aspecto determinante uno del otro.
Un abrazo
Ivonne

Clara de Borrero

Wiki training

Postby Clara de Borrero » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:51 pm

Laurent:
What do you think of this? Is the Paris meeting the corect scenario for this type of training? It will certainly gather a good number of people, probably many of whom would be interested in wiki training, although I don't see a lot of answers to this proposal. In my case, wiki training would allow me to fully benefit from everything Babels offers on line, and also to participate more actively. You would not believe how hard it was for me to joint this Forum, on account of my being almost computer illiterate. Technology bites!
Clara de Borrero / claraborrero@usa.net / Colombia / ES/EN/PT

Maria Fernanda

Postby Maria Fernanda » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:37 pm

Laurent, Lorraine , Clara and others, how about if those of you who know a little bit more on how Wiki works give us, as of now, some simple guidelines so to be able to practice now and then during the Paris meeting have an overview and a small session to clarify doubts. In other words to have the opportunity to be exposed to it now and then get to Paris with some idea of what the program/system is ment for.

Regards,
Maria Fernanda

ljesover

Postby ljesover » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:22 am

For me the opportunity of, at last!!! to see each other is also an opportunity to try out some tools. Personaly I am this type of person thinking that tools are secondary compare to political will. Although I am the first to think that tools are a good way to build political conciousness. Anyhow people and tool will be participating. And for me it is the best way to meet. :-)

Clara de Borrero

wiki training

Postby Clara de Borrero » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:10 pm

Great! Some questions come to mind:
Who can organize the training? Shall we bring portable computers with us? How can we sign up for training? Will it take place during the meeting or immediately after?
Clara

Maria Fernanda

MANUAL DE ORIENTACIÓN PARA PARTICIPACIÓN DE BABELS EN FSM

Postby Maria Fernanda » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:01 am

MIguelsojo, Betina lanzó hace unos días un tema llamado carta de babels.

Me parece, con todo respeto, que esta inquietud bastante válida de todos los que se han unido para defenderla, que podrían como grupo unirse a Betina y si me incluyen tanto mejor para discutirlo bajo un solo sombrero llamado Carta de Bables.
¿que opinan?

Saludos,
Maria Fernanda

Maria Fernanda

Postby Maria Fernanda » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:47 am

Lorraine, I support the questions raised so far:
1. Who is going to give the wonderful traininig (even though it doesn´t matter who but no body has volunteer yet to train us)
2. Shall we take along laptops (or not needed since its two plus two)
3. Will it be before, during or after Paris International Meeting?
or
4. can someone explain in the mean time how to use this friendly user tool? while we meet personally?
or shall we drop this proposal and get along with the others?

I'm just trying to purge some topics while I have time and get a clearer picture of the topics raised and its activity.
Regards,
Maria Fernanda

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:07 am

Hi Maria and other potential Wiki-apprentices
I may be wrong, but I took Laurent's reply as him volunteering to undertake such training . Isn't that so, Laurent (twists arm gently......)??
A while back I clicked some links on Babels forum which took me through to some things on Wiki and how to use it. Problem is for me in understanding instructions from a machine (whereas real-life Laurent would be quite different....) and I felt completely out of my depth and had not the time to try to understand it.
I would suggest that
1. if you have time, try checking thru the non-Babels projects to see what you find
2. if Laurent reconfirms willingness to conduct a mini-training in Paris, he estimates time needed and any pre-work advised, we survey among final list of attendees (who has this ?) the level of interest
3. Laurent decides whether the level of interest justifies his (and/or other people's) engagement. He could also specify whether computers available for training or we have to beg, borrow or steal laptops if we don't have our own....
Lorraine

magicat

Tools

Postby magicat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:20 pm

Not only to deal with wiki, but also with babelog many of us needed the help of moderators.
We should have a workshop about internet tools. Wiki, babelog, chat, etc...etc...

Gatti

Maria Fernanda

Postby Maria Fernanda » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:31 pm

Lorraine, Magicat and Laurent, Great!!!!
Count me in for the training on several tools which will really help me to be more active because sometimes not knowing how to use it makes you less fond of participating

I'll be attentive as to the prelessons and site lessons
REgards,
Maria Fernanda

Clara de Borrero

Wiki training

Postby Clara de Borrero » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Lorraine, Laurent:
This is growing! I see more interest each time!
Laurent, I will be happy to help you create a list of those interested. Once an official list of participants to the International Meeting is ready, if I may have it as well as the proposed date and time for training, I can contact each and every one of the participants by e-mail with your proposal and then I'll get back to you and Lorraine with the exact number of people interested in receiving the benefits of your training.
Lorraine, you're a good arm twister! For those who do not have their own portable computers, if there aren't any available for training in Paris, after begging, borowing or stealing, may I suggest sharing?
Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Clara de Borrero
Colombia (SP/ENG/PT)
claraborrero@usa.net

magicat

Place

Postby magicat » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:36 am

any computer room could be useful. Or even a cyber café.

gatti

luis guillermo mendoza fl

wiki training

Postby luis guillermo mendoza fl » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Dear Laurent,

I feel this is a wonderful thing because it'll help us to get tuned to technology and at the same time it might give you an insight to find collaborators for each region in reinstructing locals and create a real network of able volunteers and people in need of training to translate/interpret in future fora,with most outstanding results.

COUNT ME IN, I would love to contribute with all my expertise in organizing groups for training which eventually would turn into training groups for their respective regions.

Best Regards,

Luis Guillermo Mendoza Flores, Peru

Clara de Borrero

Wiki training

Postby Clara de Borrero » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:10 pm

Training the trainers, as Luis Guillermo sais, is the way to cascade Wiki skills; in that way, those who benefit from the proposed training in Paris can become multipliers.
Clara

mnario

Proposta: Babels Art / Proposal: Babels Art

Postby mnario » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:45 am

PT > EN

PT / PT / PT

Proposta : [ babels art ] – compartilhando nossa diversidade cultural

INTRODUÇÃO

[ babels art ] é um projeto que propõe a construção de um espaço de manifestação e debate da diversidade cultural dos membros dessa rede. Inspirado pela atmosfera do FSM Caracas 06, torna-se mais uma ferramenta de colaboração ativa no processo dos Fóruns Sociais.

O patrimônio cultural de um povo é seu bem maior: retrata sua alma, suas cores e seus significados. Por isso, acreditamos no processo cultural como um veículo de transformação. Partimos do princípio que, cada vez que um cidadão se move no mundo, torna-se embaixador do lugar ao qual pertence, levando sua cultura por onde passa.

A rede Babels é um coletivo pluricultural composto por indivíduos de todas as partes do planeta. Nesse contexto, [ babels art ] surge como proposta de um segmento onde possamos expor quem somos, por que somos, e entender nossas diferenças. Um espaço onde o intercâmbio de conhecimento contribua sensivelmente para um melhor entendimento entre os próprios membros, e, conseqüentemente, uma integração de toda a rede; finalmente, buscamos uma ampliação do papel da Babels como membro ativo dos FSMs.

Com base na natureza do projeto Babels de ser um ator do debate altermundialista; um laboratório sobre evolução de idiomas e compartilhamento de patrimônios lingüísticos; uma força de proposição dentro do marco das organizações de eventos internacionais dos quais participamos; e, finalmente, um espaço de encontro entre intérpretes e organismos que intervenham nos distintos eventos, [ babels art ] se propõe a consolidar a idéia de inclusão e compartilhamento de pensamentos, línguas e conhecimento. Nossa proposta é organizar atividades que acompanhem a rota de todos os projetos abraçados pela rede e possam ser executadas de forma ampla por aqueles que a compõe.

DESENVOLVIMENTO

Desde o FSM Caracas, algumas idéias já se encontram em desenvolvimento, sendo colocadas à disposição da rede para debate e possíveis contribuições e alterações:

1. A cada projeto em que Babels esteja presente para realizar a tradução e interpretação, seria apresentada ao grupo de voluntários selecionados uma convocação para participar da mostra [ babels art ], como ferramenta de colaboração ativa no processo daquele determinado projeto.

2. Na medida do interesse manifestado pelo grupo, seria formada uma equipe de voluntários para a execução do projeto [ babels art ] [ bb art ].

3. A esta equipe caberia a enumeração das manifestações artísticas apresentadas, a avaliação coletiva da dimensão da mostra, a elaboração, em conjunto com a organização do evento, da programação, a produção da infra-estrutura local para a execução do evento, sua difusão e pós-produção.

4. Uma equipe estaria também designada a promover a documentação do evento, bem como um relatório final de atividades apresentado à rede, ao final do processo.

5. Pensamos, ainda, em estabelecer, no local de cada fórum, um espaço físico que se torne o ponto de encontro dos participantes, onde, após as atividades normais, as amostragens aconteçam. Outra sugestão seria fundar um espaço virtual para o projeto (um babelog art), onde todos os interessados possam contribuir com conteúdos concernentes a suas atividades artísticas, ampliando o intercâmbio cultural.

Desta forma, convocamos a todos os interessados a apresentar comentários, sugestões e críticas a este tópico.

Proponentes:

Marcelo Neves Almeida, Brasil
Maria Cristina Gatti, Brasil
Nohelia Faguagua, Uruguay

EN / EN / EN

Proposal: [ babels art ] – sharing our cultural diversity

INTRODUCTION

[ babels art ] is a project that proposes the construction of a space for showing and debating the cultural diversity of the members of this net. Inspired by the atmosphere of the FSM Caracas 06, it becomes one more tool of active contribution in the process of the Social Foruns.

The cultural heritage of a folk is their greatest asset: it portrays the soul, the color and the meanings of that folk. Therefore, we believe in the cultural process as a vehicle of transformation. We start from the principle that each time an individual moves in the world, s/he becomes the ambassador of the place where s/he belongs, taking their culture with them wherever they go.

The Babels net is a pluricultural collective composed of individuals from all parts of the planet. In this context, [ babels art ] appears as a proposal of a segment where we can show who we are, why we are, and where we can understand our differences. A space where the interchange of knowledge contributes significantly for a better agreement between the members themselves, and, consequently, an integration of the whole net; ultimately, we want to broaden the role of Babels as an active member of the WSFs.

Based on the nature of the Babels project of being an actor of the altermundialist debate; a laboratory on the evolution of languages and sharing of linguistic patrimonies; a power of proposals in the hallmark of the organization of international events of which we participate; finally, a space of meeting between interpreters and organisms that intervene in the different events, [ babels art ] proposes to consolidate the idea of inclusion and sharing of thoughts, languages and knowledge. Our proposal is to organize activities that follow the route of all the projects where our net is envolved and that can be widely executed by those are part of it.

DEVELOPMENT

Since the FSM Caracas, some ideas are already being developed and are being made visible to the net for debate and possible contributions and changes:

1. In each project where Babels is present to facilitate the translation and interpretation, an invitation would be sent to the group of selected volunteers to participate in the exhibition [ babels art ], as a tool of active contribution in the process of that specific project.

2. As long as the group shows interest in the project, a team of voluteers would be built for the execution of the project [ babels art ] [ bb art ].

3. This team would be in charge of registering the artistic manifestations presented, the collective evaluation of the dimension of the exhibition, the elaboration, together with the organization of the event, of the program, the production of the local infrastructure for the execution of the event, its diffusion and after-production.

4. A team would also be responsible for the documentation of the event, as well as a final report of activities presented to the net, at the end of the process.

5. We also think of establishing, in the venue of each forum, a physical space that becomes the meeting point for the participants, where, after the normal activities, the exhibitions happen. Another suggestion would be to establish a virtual space for the project (babelog art), where all the interested membersbcan contribute with content which is relevant to their artistic activities, extending the cultural interchange.

Thus, we invite all interested members to present comments, suggestions and criticism to this topic.

Proponents:

Marcelo Neves Almeida, Brazil
Maria Cristina Gatti, Brazil
Nohelia Faguagua, Uruguay

Return to “Babels Intl Meeting - 3 > 5 June/Juin/Junio 2006”