No Babels in Nairobi ? No Babels anymore anywhere ?

January 2007: Discussions sur le FSM à Nairobi - Discussions on the WSF in Nairobi (Kenya)
gregoire

No Babels in Nairobi ? No Babels anymore anywhere ?

Postby gregoire » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:56 pm

le 13/10/06 15:17, (sun_shine_family [AT] msn.com) a ecrit :
(...)
> and he said to me that if there had not been a real communication between
> Babels "world" and Babels kenya it was due to hte fact that they were really
> busy organizing the event and didn't feel the need to be helped. He said they
> had mobilized several activists in the area, they trained some interpreters
> and had some recruiting activities in universities. He was also very helpful
> and gave me his card so I could contact him on monday (when he's back to
> kenya) and he'll give me the adress of the person in charge of this (which
> I'll later forward to you guys). He regreted the lack of communication.
>
> All in all, I think this sums it up for now.

Yes, Pietro, thank you. You are right. That pretty much sums it up.

Nairobi has not informed us because they do not need us.
There is no need to go any further.
No need to play helpful anges falling from the sky.

That's it.

I suggest we send out a general statement to all the volunteers in the Babels database telling them that Babels will not organize interpretation during this WSF.

I am very angry right now and I feel like asking hard questions, using strong words like transparency, accountability and democracy. But none of that is going to put the toothpaste back into the tube.

This fiasco (which may very well be the last nail in the Babels coffin as far as the IC is concerned) is but the last illustration of a general problem with Babels.

I'm not going to waste my time and energy holding people accountable and pointing fingers. Babels has been an important part of my life for the past 5 years - and I'm not the only one in this case. I'm not going to let it fade away simply because some bureaucrats think that we are a commodity.

Let's learn from this experience and pick up the bits. The discussions of these last days have shown that there are many people that want to continue the Babels experiment. We need to convince the IC and the HC of the POLITICAL importance of what we want to achieve.

There's work to be done. We have brains to conquer. And we have all the tools we need to make it happen. We don't need to burn carbon fuel and pay expensive airline tickets to get together and work together.

Let's roll.

Greg

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Salut, Gregoire and all friends from social forum interpreting.
I have been very busy and incomunicado for several months, but I too started thinking 'wonder what's happening with Nairobi' so came to check out the forum.

Can't believe the plan is to trash Babels experience in favour of a do-it-yourself approach where as far as I can gather there is no experience behind it, or maybe a few who were at Bamako...

Well, I'm still around and still an activist. I shall go on translating for the movements when I have time. If our services are no longer required for forum interpretation, all I can say is, the IC is throwing away a load of experience and a load of committed altermondialistas.

Has there been an official International Committee position on this ? After all, Nairobi are organising, but if we are talking WORLD SOCIAL FORUM, not policentric or anything, I would imagine some extra-African organizations will want to be sure quality interpretation will be available before investing in forum participation......

Baffled and bemused

Lorraine
P.S. Well we can always all take a cheap flight to ..... and go party on the beach instead of interpreting..........

gregoire

Lorraine ! You need to subscribe to the Babels list

Postby gregoire » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Lorraine

All your questions are answered on the Babels mailing list...

ALSO you can find the letter we are sending to the Kenya OC on the WIKI :

http://www.babels.org/wiki/Nairobi07letterIC

Things are moving fast !

Greg

lorraine

Nairobi and the Babels mailing list

Postby lorraine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Thanks Greg wah for answering to some extent and advising that
''All your questions are answered on the Babels mailing list...''

Am I dumb, uninformed or what .... I know the Babels Fora but is the mailing list something different and if so, how do I get to be on it/read it etc ??

I think on one forum I saw someone asking this same question and so if there IS something else that various people don't know about despite being with Babels since Florence.... perhaps there are still some communications problems

Thanks if u can explain this one
Lorraine

gregoire

Babels mailing lists

Postby gregoire » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:14 am

Hi Lorraine

There are two means of communication (three actualy if you count the website) :
the forum and the various mailing lists you subscribe to by ticking checkboxes on your Babels database profile.

The Nairobi discussion used to be on the [Nairobi 2007] mailing list but it broke down and everything is now being debates on the "General international list for Babels organizers" :
babels.lists.babels.org
List-Archive: http://lists.babels.org/mailman/private/babels
List-Post: mailto:babels@lists.babels.org
List-Help: mailto:babels-request@lists.babels.org?subject=help
List-Subscribe: http://lists.babels.org/mailman/listinfo/babels

Hugs

Greg

Return to “WSF - Nairobi 2007”