Consejo Hemisférico Américas/Americas Hemispheric Council

EN International Council - ES Consejo Internacional - FR Conseil international
EN Hemispheric Council - ES Consejo Hemisférico - FR Conseil hémisphérique
EN European Preparatory Assembly - ES Asamblea Europea de Preparación - FR Assemblée Européenne de Préparation
ljesover

Postby ljesover » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:38 am

Leda wrote:By the way, give also South-American babelit@s the chance to experience what you yourself have been experiencing numerous times since Babels was created.
Leda

Well Leda that is curious. After the ASF inQuito and after the WSF in POA I feel, but maybe it is a mistake, that the "South American" as you put it, did participate to really a lot of international meetings and regional ones. At least for POA it happened a lot: 4 ICs, many BOC meetings, regional or national ones, FS uruguay or Colombia for instance. I think that many ar erecognized and fully identified. I think even than many can email directly this or that person accross the continent and have acces to the representative to this or that organization or this or that process.

I am sorry I do not open the door by sending saviors. I did not state Cuba is a dicdatorship, it is more complex than this, and I am not evaluating the level of democracy. I am stating that I strongly resent the fact that we are trying to find money that can be used by organization that exists only localy in Haiti, in Honduras, in in in... and these funds are made for them. We are from Cuba. There are people in Cuba. We send the organizers their name and tell that since there is not team project or global project as such for the moment, we would like them to participate, observe, feed-back to us with usefull information. We do not need to talk. If they cannot or are not allowed to participate, then "we" are not.

We are all participating to a network and therefore can give our opinions from San Francisco or Paris or Mumbai or Tokyo or Montevideo or or ... That I am at the moment where I am, is my problem. This Forum for instance has no boundary and I do need a passport to voice my own point of view, or do I? You can very well live wherever and have a very much more eurocentric point of view than I have.

steph

Postby steph » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:31 am

EN/FR

EN
Hi there

Paranoia, awkwardness and hysteria have been the 3 major caracteristics of Babels out of late. Please, donot label people when you could be reproached exactly the same thing.
(And I still have the Women March episode fresh in my mind, I’m still learning, don’t worry).

During the past few weeks, there has been quite a number of initiatives from 2 groups of people that totally disagree on the HC meeting in Cuba and I’ve had the dubious privilege of being caught in the middle. Whether you like it or not : it stinks. Both sides. I’ve witnessed with growing concern a search for information turning into a decision taken for granted and I’ve witnessed with even more worry the concerns it triggered among people fearing that an initiative taken outside of what they deem acceptable for Babels would cause the end of the world (I’m exagerating, but this is the feeling that I got). Make no mistake about that : both sides have been trying to gather support and this only means one thing to me : war, with 2 factions fighting one another, by all means necessary. (What I’m saying may not be clear but I refuse to give names).

I find this extremely distressing. I’m not part of Babels for that kind of shit, sorry to be that blunt.

I trust only in collective decisions coming out of a public debate, implying rough confrontations if need be. Satisfactory solutions donot mean the « victory » of one side over the other, it means that a collective debate balances every arguments into one proposal that is acceptable for everyone and that everyone can make its own (we even used to talk about consensus at one time). You have to hear things you disagree with, you have to allow for people to express themselves, you have to have everything on the table before any decision is taken - collectively. The debate must go on until there is an opposition.

Where’s Yan’s protocol ? It sounds interesting. Sorry, I must have missed a number of emails lately – am I correct when I understand it’s still on the wiki, which is the space dedicated to works in procress, reports to be finished, texts that are collectively written before being shared publicly ? My question is : is it something we all already share and debate ? have I missed something ? If I did, sorry. If I didnot : let’s debate it also. It sounds like it’s badly needed.

I find Yan’s proposal to put together a team tackling the next ASF reasonable but it doesnot take into account pieces of information that we have to adress and that have been made clear through Erica’s search of information :

- the IC and HC do have solidarity funds that Babels could ask for

- but those funds are linked to the fact that those agoras only accept delegates. Which implies representation. Now : what does it mean, for a network such as Babels rejecting the very idea of traditional political representation ? and why do you think it’s enough to say that we reject such representation, to say that the issue is clear ? it’s not. We have to build a solution that is understood by everyone and satisfactory for everyone. This is the only way everyone will make it their own.

- Whether you like it or not, IC meetings, HC meetings and all their subcommissions meetings are places where you get information first hand and where you’d better be, as Babels, without your liking. Standing Babels ground has to be done there as well.
Were it not the case, what on earth were we doing in Porto Alegre in November, when some of us did workshops and others went to attend the IC meeting ? (reporting very frequently with some that did the workshops and discussing altogether what should be negociated within the reunions, which was excellent.)

Now, I’ve been told a hundred times at least that « babels means the right to experimentation ». I’ve found this frustrated a hundred times, because it’s usually claimed by people not wanting to acknowledge they did mistakes and we all had to bear the conséquences of those mistakes.

But my questions is : people of the « no side » : when did you let the « yes side » experiment this right ? People make mistakes : you did, others do. No one, within Babels holds the « truth » as I was reminded very recently (many thanks for that harsh lesson). Not one single person and not one single group of people : simply because it is a work in process and everyone feeds it, even the people you disagree with.

Babels’ a fantastic space for political inventions and innovations. Yet, it’s very tricky to understand, it changes all the time and every single mistake is lived as the end of the network. I donot want to see political cases or persecution happening on the ground that only a handful of us understand how it works and what should be done, thus judging those who are too awkward to get it right. Unfortunately, this is the nasty impression I get : tell me I’m wrong. Better : prove me I’m wrong. Tell me that there is space for people to learn how things really work.
Have a nice day
Stéph

FR
Ciao ciao

Les 3 caractéristiques de Babels dernièrement ont été : la paranoïa, la maladresse et l’hystérie. Attention avant de balancer de tels arguments à la face des gens : on peut vous reprocher exactement le même genre de choses. Je le dis avec d’autant plus de sérénité que j’ai encore à l’esprit l’épisode de la Marche des femmes, qui m’a appris des trucs à moi aussi.

Au cours des dernières semaines, deux groupes qui sont en désaccord total sur la réunion du Conseil hémisphérique à Cuba ont pris des initiatives. J’ai eu ce douteux privilège d’avoir été prise entre deux feux. Et ce que j’ai vu est puant. De la part des deux parties. A ma grande préoccupation, j’ai été témoin d’une recherche d’info qui se transforme en décision et j’ai pu constater, avec encore plus de préoccupation, ce que cela causait comme réaction au sein d’un autre groupe de personnes qui ont eu peur de voir une telle initiative foutre le réseau en l’air (j’exagère, mais c’est le sentiment que j’ai eu). Ne vous y tromper pas : chaque groupe a cherché, de la même façon, à récolter le soutien le plus large au sein de Babelitas et Babelitos. Ceci obéit à une seule logique, à mon sens : celle de la guerre, avec deux factions prêtes à tout pour montrer qu’elles ont raison (désolée si ce n’est pas clair, mais je ne donnerai pas de noms).

Je trouve ceci très très perturbant. Je ne fais pas partie de Babels pour vivre ce genre de merde, désolée d’être vulgaire.

Je ne fais confiance qu’à une seule chose, qui, jusqu’à peu de temps encore, était pratiquée au sein de Babels : je ne fais confiance qu’aux décisions collectives issues d’un débat public, même si ce débat implique des confrontations violentes. Les solutions qui peuvent convenir à tout le monde ne sont pas la « victoire » d’une faction sur une autre ; c’est le résultat de la confrontation d’idées contraires pour arriver à un équilibre (on avait même l’habitude de parler de « consensus » à un moment) qui convienne à tout le monde et dans lequel toutes les parties peuvent se reconnaître. Il est nécessaire d’écouter les arguments avec lesquels on est en désaccord, il est nécessaire de créer l’espace pour que les uns et les autres s’expriment, il est nécessaire de tout mettre sur la table pour prendre une décision collective. Tant qu’une opposition persiste, le débat doit avoir lieu.

Où se trouve la proposition de protocole de Yan ? elle a l’air intéressante. J’ai dû la louper si elle a été présentée dernièrement, :(. Ai-je bien compris quand je crois comprendre qu’elle est toujours sur le wiki ? c’est un espace dédié aux travaux en cours, à l’écriture de rapports et de textes à plusieurs mains, avant de les rendre publics, n’est-ce pas ? est-elle sortie du wiki, sommes-nous déjà en train d’en débattre publiquement ? si c’est le cas, je suis en retard d’un train, désolée. Si ce n’est pas le cas : il est plus que temps de le faire.

Je trouve la proposition de Yan au sujet d’une équipe travaillant sur le prochain FSA tout-à-fait raisonnable. Mais elle ne prend pas en compte, pour le moment, des informations mises en lumière par les efforts d’Erica, or elles changent un peu la donne et dont nous devons absolument tenir compte. A savoir :

- Babels peut faire appel au fonds de solidarité du CI ou du CH pour envoyer des gens assister aux réunions

- Mais ces fonds dépendent de l’envoi de « délégués ». Ce qui implique la « représentation ». Qu’est-ce que cela peut bien vouloir dire, au sein d’un réseau comme Babels, qui rejette l’idée même de la représentation politique traditionnelle ? pourquoi pensez-vous qu’il suffit de dire que « non, nous sommes opposés à ce genre de représentation, ce n’est pas Babels » pour clore le débat sur une solution satisfaisante ? ce n’est pas une solution satisfaisante : elle reste à construire, de façon à ce que tout le monde la comprenne et se l’approprie.

- Que cela vous plaise ou non, les réunions du CI, du CH et de leurs innombrables sous-commissions sont, par excellence, le lieu où on obtient les informations de première main. Babels doit en être, ne serait-ce que pour éviter de voir se prendre des décisions sur les langues et la diversité linguistique auquel nous ne prenons pas part et qui ne sont pas politiquement satisfaisantes au regard de nos principes et de nos "missions".
Si ces réunions ne sont pas importantes, quelqu’un peut-il m’expliquer ce que nous faisions en novembre à Porto Alegre, où le groupe de personnes s’est divisé entre ceux qui faisaient des ateliers et ceux qui suivaient les réunions du CI ? (en faisant des rapports très très fréquents à ceux qui suivaient les ateliers et en discutant collectivement toutes les choses à négocier, c’était vraiment très bien).

Y’a un truc qui me chiffonne très fort : on m’a rabattu les oreilles trois millions de fois avec le sacro-saint principe babélien de « l’expérimentation ». J’ai trouvé ça ultra frustrant toutes les fois qu’on m’en a parlé, parce que cela venait surtout justifier les erreurs faites par des gens qui ne se remettent pas en question et qui n’admettent pas avoir commis des erreurs dont tout le monde supporte les conséquences.

Mais je ne vois pas où le « groupe du non » a permis au « groupe du oui » d’exercer ce droit. Les gens font des erreurs : vous aussi, vous en avez fait. Personne, au sein de Babels, ne détient « la » vérité, ainsi qu’on me l’a rappelé fort récemment (merci pour cette dure leçon). Ni une personne, ni un groupe de personne : c’est de l’ordre des « travaux en cours » et de la construction collective à laquelle tout le monde participe, même les gens avec qui vous n’êtes pas d’accord.

Babels est un espace incroyable d’invention politique. Mais c’est un espace incroyablement difficile à comprendre, en constante mutation et chaque erreur y est vécue comme la fin du réseau… Ce qui me fait peur, c’est l’impression qu’on se dirige vers des procès politiques menés par des petits groupes persuadés d’avoir compris comment Babels marche, ce qui est bon pour Babels et quelle est la doxa à suivre. C’est l’impression que me donne toute cette histoire : dîtes-moi que je me trompe. Mieux, prouvez-le moi. Dîtes-moi que babels est un espace où on peut apprendre comment faire les choses, même si on se plante.
Bonne journée
stéph

Cheo

HC Habana

Postby Cheo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:20 am

I must be missing something here: let's see, no babelitos will be needed at the booths in Havanna because interpreters from ESTI will do the job. Good. For babelitos to attend the CH meeting and learn and report to the rest of us the CH needs Babels to appoint two (2) delegates. We have 3 babelitos in Cuba. Why not appoint 2 of them as delegates? Should Cuba or whoever deny them acces to the meeting, we Babels would quite rightly find it outrageous and would no doubt openly and very publicly denounce it and qualify it as such. I for myself would not enter a house whose doors are closed to my siblings. That would be in my view the only decent and viable option to be there. Either our Cuban babelitos go or none of us even bother to think of going.

Cheo

HC Habana 2

Postby Cheo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:56 am

Unless, of course, appointing Cuban babelit@s would put them in harm's way with Cuban authorities, but even then that would be only one more reason for us from abroad not to go.

bettina

hc meeting

Postby bettina » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:34 am

To my surprise, in the midst of this discussion on Babels participation in the HC meeting in Cuba - which is far from consensual - I received the following email from the organizers of the HC meeting, with a message attached appointing representatives of Babels and asking for funding!
Our principles of transparency and collective decisions are being run over in the name of URGENCY. Who decides what is urgent?

Para mi sorpresa, en el medio de este debate sobre la participación de Babels en la reunión de Cuba - que está lejos del consenso - recibi el siguiente mensaje de los organizadores de la reunión junto con un mensaje designando representantes de Babels y pidiendo fondos!
Nuestros principios de transparencia y decisiones colectiva se están atropellados en nombre de la URGENCIA. Quienes deciden lo que es urgente?

Querida Leda y compañeras/os de Babels:

Las oganizaciones y entidades que hacen parte del Consejo
Americas del FSM tienen diversas dinamicas internas que incluyen
lo relativo a representacion y delegacion. Sin embargo, de cara a
su participacion en este espacio, hay reglas del juego comunes
aceptadas y aplicadas por todas/os. En este caso se trata de la
nominacion de delegadas/os (principal y alterna) para participar en
las reuniones, asi como para hacer de enlace en todo lo relativo al
funcionamiento del Consejo.

Esto se convierte en un requisito indispensable por razones tanto
políticas como prácticas. En el caso especifico de la reunion de La
Habana, uno de sus resultados es el plan de trabajo para organizar
el Foro Caracas, con compromisos y responsabilidades al menos
pre-definidos.

Ademas, solo bajo la figura de delegacion formal es posible hacer
efectivo el apoyo para pasaje y/o alojamiento, pues de lo contrario
puede presentarse el caso de multiples solicitudes de participacion
y apoyo de integrantes de una misma red-organizacion, imposibles
de atender ni politica ni practicamente.

Sin este señalamiento expreso de delegacion, existe la posibilidad
de participar en calidad de 'observadoras/es', lo que supone, entre
otras cosas, que cada quien cubre sus gastos.

Les pedimos, entonces, tratar internamente este asunto y tomar
una decision que haga viable la delegacion y lo que de ella se
deriva.

Quedamos atentas a sus decisiones. Un abrazo,

Magdalena y Sally

On 18 Apr 2005, at 18:57, Leda Beck wrote:

> Dear Magdalena and Sally,
>
> Érica, from Babels-Rio, asked me to pass you this info, which she says
> should be with you today.
>
> She just travelled on a work trip to SP, and plans to leave from there
> to Cuba, if the Solidarity Fund indeed confirms it is sponsoring
> Babels.
>
> The other Babels passenger would be Valentina Seguel, from
> Babels-Venezuela, whom I'm also copying here. Both of them are
> professional interpreters, and both worked at the WSF in POA. Érica is
> also a member of the Brazilian Babels coordination team.
>
> According to the research Érica did, with the help of Tory (ABONG's
> travel agency, check it out with fabio@tory.com.br if needed), a
> ticket SP-Havana will cost $900, and a Caracas-Havana will cost $450.
>
> Would you issue the electronic tickets, or should Tory issue them, and
> be directly paid by you?
>
> Babels would be also most grateful if both Babelitas could share a
> room in the Hotel Palco from Saturday 23rd through Wednesday 27th.
>
> Valentina Seguel would be arriving to Havana at 23h00 of Saturday,
> 23rd, IF she flies Copa Airlines from Caracas. She has no
> reservations.
>
> Érica already made reservations for herself: she has the reservation
> code YC8A6L with Copa Airlines on flight CM758 to Panama City, then
> Panama/Havana on Copa flight CM438. She would fly on Thursday, April
> 21st, in order to have enough time to prepare for the meeting with
> Cuban babelit@s, who will also take care of her lodging from Thursday
> through Saturday.
>
> It would also be very important for her to know how/where to contact
> you in Havana before the meeting starts. At the Palco, I suppose?
> There are a few issues regarding our Cuban babelit@s that she would
> need to discuss personally with you.
>
> An additional information that we think is necessary for you to be
> aware of, is that neither Érica nor Valentina are "elected" or
> "nominated" "representatives" of Babels. Babels has no
> "representatives". Both Érica and Valentina are just active members of
> this horizontal network who made themselves available to go to a
> meeting which interests the network at large, and very particularly
> the South-American members of Babels, and the US West Coast Babels
> group. Thus they will never speak on behalf of Babels, as no one may
> speak on behalf of Babels. All of us speak on behalf of ourselves or,
> at most, of our respective Babels workgroups.
>
> Also, their presence in the meeting will have the goal of collecting
> information, and networking around issues regarding mainly the Caracas
> Forum. We hope they will be able to come back with a formal invitation
> from the HC for Babels to take care of interpretation during that
> Forum, and also with enough information to jump start a working group
> in Babels around the Caracas Project. In other words, Caracas will
> only be a real project in Babels after Érica and Valentina come back
> from Havana and report to the network.
>
> I hope I provided you with all needed information, and I am sure Érica
> and Valentina will soon hear from you with precise info about flights
> and hotel.
>
> Please feel free to write or call (my phone number is below) at any
> time if there are any doubts you believe I could help clarifying.
>
> Many thanks for reading up to here! :)
>
> In solidarity,
>
> Leda Beck

Chico Zapote

QUe demonios??!

Postby Chico Zapote » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:15 am

Camaradas de BABELS!!!
Que dmonios es esto??? Quienes son Leda Beck y Erika para acusar a los demás e imponer una decisión en nombre de todos?? Pretenden salvar a BABELS? de que guerra habla Steph???

Estoy de acuerdo con Cheo!!
si nuestras compañeras en Cuba no pueden estar en la reunión, entonces BABELS no puede estar en la reunión. Quienes son esas personas que quieren ir a Cuba?? dicen que hay otras personas que TAMBIEN quieren organizar el foro de las americas
las consultaron?? Yan habla de proponer un proyecto a BABELS para que TODS estemos de acuerdo. SI, yo quiero ver un proyecto antes de escoger mi represntante. Si voy a trabajar en Caracacs, quiero saber que SI ME dieron la posibilidad de participar. alguien sabe algo del FSMED?

ABAJO LA DICTADURA de los que imponen a sus "representantes"!!!! VIVA LA DEMOCRACIA!! Chico

julia

representantes

Postby julia » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:51 pm

Diabas e diabos,

A representative needs to speak an to decide. Babels is not a private NGO nor a corporation that needs to rush to get market access. If we are not mature to take collective action and decisions now, we dont send anyone. We should take time to reorganise our public debate on the Caracas event, tell the HC we will be pleased to indicate delegates for the next preparing meeting and ask them to publish a report.
julia

Representante tem que ser falante e decidinte. Babels não é uma ong privada nem uma empresa que tem que correr para conseguir acesso a mercado. Se não temos maturidade para agir e decidir coletivamente, não mandamos ninguém. Respondemos ao CH, pedimos que publiquem um relatório, e dizemos que estamos nos organizando sobre o evento em caracas e que indicaremos representantes para a próxima reunião de preparação que acontecer.
julia

qdantel

Postby qdantel » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:15 pm

ES/EN

ES(mejor ésta)

Antes que nada quiero acalarar que esta es una manifestación personal.
Como integrante de BABELS quiero que los principios fundamentales de BABELS se respeten.
Es FUNDAMENTAL que lleguemos a un CONSENSO. Repudio contundentemente las acciones unilaterales tanto del pasado como del presente. Dejemos las rispideces y reproches a un lado y negociemos. Seguramente cada uno de nosotros no quede totalmente conforme con lo que se decida pero debemos ser flexibles para llegar a una decisión consensuada.
He visto alguna propuestas que parecen interesantes en este sentido. Y antes de proponer sería bueno dejar constancia de:
-No hay consenso sobre l@s babelit@os que tienen la voluntad de respresantar a BABELS en Cuba.
-Hay babelit@s en Cuba
-Es esencial que BABELS esté presente
*Una buena opción sería proponerles a estos babelit@s que participen y oficien como recolectores y transmisores de información, la cual será necesaria para armar un proyecto hacia Venezuela.
*Al mismo tiempo sería imperioso armar un grupo de trabajo con los que quieran comprometerse en el Proyecto Venezuela. Yan, Steph(o quien sea)vos que sos experto en ésto¿Podrías armar algo en la página para hacer un llamado y armar una lista para empezar a tener contacto entre nosotros?
En ésto necesitaríamos archivo(¿Dónde se encuentra?), para ver cómo se ha dado este proceso en el pasado, no podemos empezar de cero, tenemos que aprovechar el cúmulo de experiencia para no repetir errores.
Espero comentarios y sugerencias,
saludos para todos,

Daniela
BABELS Uruguay

EN

First of all, I want to clarify that I am talking on behalf of myself.
As part of BABELS I do want every babelit@ respect the principles of BABELS.
It’s essential we achieve a consensus. I repudiate categorically the unilateral acts from the past and the present too.We should leave the differences of opinions and the complaints and start to negotiate. Surely, it may exist disconformities about the decisions could be taken but we must be flexible persons, as a consequence we will be able to achieve a cosnesus decision.
I have seen same proposals which seem be interesting in this sense. Before proposing it is important to accept in which I think everybody is agreed:
-There is no consensus about the babelit@s who would want to be the BABELS delegates in Cuba.
-There are babelit@s in Cuba
-It is essential BABELS is there
*A good option would be to porpose cuban babelit@s to participate as BABELS delegates to obtain and transmit information, which will be a fundamental piece to construct a project towards Venezuela
*At he same time, it woud be essential to have a work group with those who want to compromise with this project. Yan or Steph(or anybody), as you know about these kind of things .Could you launch a call and make a list for us?
In this issue we would need the archive(where is it?), for knowing how was this same process in the past, we should take advantage the previous experience we already have for not making the same errors.
I will be waiting for your comments and suggestions,
regards,

Daniela
BABELS Uruguay

Leda

The dissent issue

Postby Leda » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Dear all,

the “yes group,” as Stéph called us, got indeed carried away when we found out that a Solidarity Fund could sponsor the presence of two babelit@s in the Havana meeting. We actually tried to employ, for once, the same tactics we have been witnessing all along the “no group” employ so competently. We failed miserably, and I truly regret it – I actually do not regret failing; I regret having tried it, thus leveling myself with them.

I’m sure I’m talking on behalf of all involved in this when I apologize for our mistakes, and for not immediately bringing new information to the network in order to produce the collective decision Stéph rightly advocates.

We erred, it’s true.

But there are circumstantial and historical reasons why something like that was bound to happen – and it will happen again, as long as Babels keeps growing and gets organized in different continents and countries. I would like to share with all a chronology of the events, and my view on the larger scenario.

First of all, the “yes group” is not “Érica and Leda,” as some poisonous messages on this forum want to convey.

“We,” in this case, means an enlarged group of about ten people in different countries, plus around 120 babelit@s in private lists who were regularly informed about the steps we were taking, and did not object. On the contrary, dozens of them had been sending private emails of support (being technically challenged, most of these vocal supporters in private lists were not able, when asked, to publish their opinions here; it seems they have trouble signing up for the forums, which is a well-know old problem of Babels).

“We” also means a bunch of professionals (interpreters, translators, and other) who want to put their skills at the service of social movements in the Social Forums – not at the service of political activists who pose as babelit@s and instrumentalize Babels toward their own political goals.

The reason why we did not publish the new information right away is that we wanted to get our act together before going public.

We created a closed wiki page to write a collective message and started a search for a Venezuelan babelit@. We wanted to present the problem to the network but at the same time propose a solution: two names, ticket prices, HC conditions, Cuban babelitas point of view, what we intended to achieve there etc.

But Yan used his privilege as a Babels-Tech insider, and challenged me to tell him what did the wiki page contain. We lost a lot of time dealing with him, and with the consequences of his gossiping about the “secret” wiki page.

When our message to the network was finally ready, we wanted someone else – not Érica or me – to post it on the forum, to show that we were not the only ones doing it. Problem: the other people, all pretty new to Babels, did not manage to sign up to the forums, or to navigate the system, and could not post the message on Monday, as planned. On Tuesday that message was already pointless.

Also, an informal message sent by Érica to two private lists of interpreters in Brazil made an unfortunate use of the expression “coup d’État,” in a context where she was naïvely venting about her difficulties with Babels, and where the expression sounded clearly as a joke. Nonetheless, it has been since manipulated to accuse her of seeking personal power, and other stupidities of the sort.

At the same time, the HC was pressing us to come up with two names. Thus we did send them the names of Érica and Valentina (a Venezuelan interpreter who has been to POA and was willing to work to build up a Babels-VE).

But in our message (which Bettina was so kind to publish here) we clearly stated that Babels has no “official representatives,” something we now realize WAS NEVER BEFORE CLEARLY STATED TO FORUMS’ ORGANIZERS.

You know what the reply of the HC was – they do not sponsor “non-delegates” of “non-organizations” (I wonder how on earth did we get sponsored to represent Babels in all the IC, BOC, and HC meetings Laurent enumerated in one of his messages here!).

To my surprise, though, what had been so far a conversation between the HC, Stéph, Érica and me, all of a sudden got copied to Bettina, thus involving in the process an obvious “no group” member, and complicating things further. Curiously, although the HC message is explicitly addressed to me, I DID NOT GET IT ever.

On second thoughts, it is not surprising at all that the HC would copy Bettina. The Forums’ organizers, no matter their “horizontality” discourse, do politics as usual. They, too, go by the political rules that have been used since immemorial times, and that we see again employed here. Because the message we sent them posited an issue of representation, they suspected an internal dissent, and copied a Babels interlocutor they trust, someone who they know as an activist that corresponds to their model of what a babelit@ should be – someone who speaks their “language.”

I would not be surprised if people from the “no group” had also contacted the HC to tell them not to sponsor Babels representation in the meeting. I actually expect them to use classical Stalinist tactics to deal with internal dissent. And I have good reasons to think so.

This whole episode has been a grotesque sample of a power struggle that has been taking place in Babels since it’s inception – not since “Érica and Leda” started ruining the playground of a few. It is now publicly exposed because the participation of Babels in Quito and POA pushed exponentially the growth of the network in Latin America. It’s the first time that Babels has such a large group of organized babelit@s outside of Europe or not necessarily in synch with some of the “founders.”

So far, the “historic” group (or at least some of them) has been able to keep everything under control, and to handpick local coordinators that correspond to their vision of what a Babels militant must be, at the same time alienating those who offer a different vision or wish to do things in a different way. Their insistence on a “loose, democratic, non-hierarchical” network results DE FACTO in a pyramidal network, where a group of mostly European babelit@s, active militants in different social movements, controls a “non structure” which gives them an extraordinary power.

The truth is, the “historic” group (and their new allies in Latin America, who perfectly mirror their traditional perspective on things) was not able to firmly control who gets power and who doesn’t in Brazil, and in Latin America. There is now, among them, a despair that non-conforming Babelit@s might transform the network in a “company” or a “NGO,” struggling for “a market share” in the “social market.”

These recurrent accusations are profoundly unjust, dishonest, and manipulative. They play on the sincere belief of many of us on a new way of doing politics. They simply alienate from the debate those who criticize, by putting them on “the other side,” among adversaries of the Social Forums’ most cherished ideals. We do not want a company, or a NGO; we want a MINIMAL structure that will allow a babelit@ like Érica and her fellow babelit@s in Rio to take the initiative to find the means, and simply GO CHECK OUT a meeting they are interested in without the need of a blessing from the Laurents and Bettinas of Babels. What’s wrong with that, for heaven’s sake?

In the present non-structure, local initiatives are simply impossible. An unattainable consensus has to be reached with the historics, who fiercely resist any deeper participation of the Éricas of Babels, who do not at all correspond to THEIR model of a perfect Babelit@. Therefore, no matter how much Érica works for, and contributes to the network, she must be alienated, expelled, and silenced.

This is simply a shame, no matter what.

There are a few outrageous messages of personal attack on this forum, to which I might respond separately.

Leda

Leda

Postby Leda » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 pm

qdantel wrote:-Hay babelit@s en Cuba
-Es esencial que BABELS esté presente
*Una buena opción sería proponerles a estos babelit@s que participen y oficien como recolectores y transmisores de información, la cual será necesaria para armar un proyecto hacia Venezuela.

ES/EN
Hola Daniela.
Es una excelente idea y hemos pensado en eso también.
Pero, como ya he reportado aqui várias veces, las babelitas cubanas NO quieren y aparentemente no pueden representar a Babels, ni siquiera como observadoras.
La única opción que aceptaron fue esta: que un@ de nosotr@s vaya a Cuba y PERSONALMENTE e INFORMALMENTE (no por escrito, se me entiendes) obtenga credenciales en blanco para que ellas puedan asistir al encuentro.
Por su cuenta e iniciativa, NO LO HARÁN.
Leda

EN
Hi Daniela.
It's an excellent idea, and we thought of that also.
But, as I have reported here many times, the Cuban babelitas DO NOT WANT and apparently CAN'T represent Babels, not even as observers.
The only option they accepted was this: that one of us go to Cuba and PERSONALLY AND INFORMALLY (not in writing, if you know what I mean) get blank badges so they could be in the meeting.
They WON'T DO IT on their own initiative and risk.
Leda

steph

Postby steph » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:34 pm

hi there (English only, I'm exhausted, sorry)
My 2 cents, for whatever it's worth at this stage : there is quite a number of people already interested in addressing the next ASF. If I'm not mistaken, Fernanda, Daniela, Ivonne, Cheo, Erica, Leda, Robert, Denise, Viviana, Valentina and Cristina, not to mention Chico, have already expressed their interest at some point or another.

Why don't you open a wiki page and draft the call to see who's interested in working on this event? Yan's explained the steps to get started on the project, both on this forum and on the wiki, under "Babels rules" (I just don't know if I'm supposed to give the wiki address on a public page). Some of you have already tackled one or 2 Social Forums, some maynot have not taken part into the organization side: whatever. "Taking charge" starts by drafting the call yourself. You've lived POA 2005, and some of you Quito 2004 and even Paris 2003 : you have plenty of experience to rely on, share, confront and use.

As for our Cuban friends, Julia from Cuba has explained that the very reason why they cannot go is not political but has to do with organization matters. Their not-going triggered the search for another solution, as far as I can see. So, I don't know what to say here about that.

night' night'
stéph

Leda

Postby Leda » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:45 pm

ljesover wrote:After the ASF in Quito and after the WSF in POA I feel, but maybe it is a mistake, that the "South American" as you put it, did participate to really a lot of international meetings and regional ones. At least for POA it happened a lot: 4 ICs, many BOC meetings, regional or national ones, FS uruguay or Colombia for instance. I think that many are recognized and fully identified.

Very informative, Laurent. Who "represented" Babels in ALL THESE MEETINGS? I don't recall witnessing, on the occasion of each of these meetings, half the brouhaha I'm witnessing now around the HC meeting. Besides, who did the de facto nomenklatura of Babels choose to "represent" us in these meetings? Or were there "elections," and I somehow missed them?

Leda

steph

No babels-coordination in Cuba

Postby steph » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:28 am

People, whatever the conditions of the HC meeting in Cuba : no one wants to take part into the reunion as a babels delegate. Our Cuban friends want to be interpreters within Babels, period.
It's a decision to be respected.

I just want to underline that the Babelitas and Babelitos willing to prepare Caracas may have to face the issue of reunions taking place in in countries with no local Babels coordinations (it's happened before, because it's a way of creating mobilitation, why shouldn't it happen again?). So, bear it in mind and find a concrete solution between all of you.
have a nice day,
Stéph

ciao ciao
quelles que soient les conditions dans lesquelles se déroulent la réunion du conseil hémisphérique à Cuba et avec lesquelles certains d'entre nous ne sont pas d'accord : une chose est certaine, nos amies Cubaines ne veulent pas, de leur propre choix, représenter Babels. Parce qu'elles veulent limiter leur participation à Babels à l'interprétation. C'est un choix plus que respectable.
Mais je souhaite juste attirer l'attention de la future équipe babels pour Caracas, sur le fait que certaines réunions de travail peuvent se dérouler dans des pays où il n'existe pas encore de coordinations locales de Babels. Pensez-y....
bonne journée
stéph
----------

Hola Yan: Con profundo disgusto estoy recibiendo diariamente un aluvión de mensajes sobre un asunto en el que no deseo involucrarme y que por demás, me desagrada enormemente. Por lo tanto deseo, de una vez por todas, sin que espere más contraréplicas ni ulteriores explicaciones al respecto, aclarar algunas cosas:

1ro: He aceptado trabajar como intérprete voluntaria para Babels en los
Foros sociales de Quito, de Londres y de POA.,Lo he hecho muy a gusto, pues entiendo que es una causa hermosa en la que vale la pena cooperar,.amén de que como soy intérprete desde hace por lo menos treinta años, tengo una estimación real por mi profesión y me agrada ponerla al servicio de un proyecto social como los Foros
Dicho ésto, soy consciente de que en estos foros-que son tan masivos que no resultan fáciles ni de organizar, ni de controlar, cabe esperar
que hayan muchas situaciones y hasta errores que hay que ir resolviendo con la experiencia que se acumula de uno al otro, independientemente de si se celebra en América o en otro continente o región. Creo que el proyecto Babels es uno y que yo sepa, la filosofía que lo inspira hasta el momento no está fragmentada por región. De manera que la unidad de principios es algo esencial sin lo cual es difìcil avanzar. Evidentemente esto no excluye las diferencias que dimanan de las condiciones especìficas de cada lugar donde se celebra, pero es importante que se asuman sobre el principio del reconocimiento de la unidad en la diversidad, se conversen y se llegue y actúe por acuerdo tomado a priori y no a posteriori. En los tres foros en que he participado, he visto un poco de todo; por un lado la necesidad real de ajustar muchas cosas respecto de las bases técnicas que sustentan el servicio de interpretación, pero por otra, también he palpado
una voluntad real del personal de Babels de tomar nota de los problemas para tratar de superarlos.

2do: Hablando concretamente de la reunión de La Habana, debo decir que ni sabía siquiera que existiera semejante reunión, tampoco se para lo que se convoca, qué alcance tiene y no creo que tenga por qué participar en ella ni como intérprete, ni como participante, ni mucho menos como representante de Babels. Entiendo y así lo he hecho saber a Leda y a la propia Erica Resende, que yo no tengo por qué representar a Babels ni en esa ni en ninguna reunión en otra cosa que no sea en aquellos foros sociales en los que he solicitado participar bajo el principio de la voluntariedad que nos rige, y en los que haya sido aceptada para interpretar. Debo establecer muy claramente que esoy
en Babels a tìtulo individual y personal como tal deseo ser tratada, no
existe el grupo cubano, y es muy importante que se sepa que en ningún
momento las intérpretes cubanas que hemos trabajado en los foros -que no somos por cierto tres, sino algunas más-, tenemos hasta el momento, la menor de las intenciones de representar, ni hablar, ni interpretar a nombre de Babels, ni en Cuba, ni en ninguna parte de otra manera que no sea en cabina, en los Foros, convocadas por Babels, por los canales establecidos para ello y después de haberse recibido la convocatoria por parte de Babels.org y la confirmación oficial por nuestra parte. El Consejo
Hemisférico no ha seguido por cierto ese mecanismo, por lo tanto, ésto debe queda bien claro para todos los continentes y para todos los colegas que representen efectivamente de alguna manera a Babels en cualquier región.
Espero que esta aclaración ponga punto final a tan enojosa situación y
autorizo por supuesto, a que el contenido de este mensaje se publique con mi nombre y apellidos por todos loa canales establecidos por Babels.
Atentamente, Lourdes Beatriz Arencibia Rodriguez.

steph

Agenda de la réunion à Cuba

Postby steph » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:56 am

Adjuntamos la agenda para la reunión en la Habana.

FSM- CONSEJO AMERICAS
Reunión en La Habana, 25 y 26 de abril 2005

AGENDA

Lunes 25
09h00-09h15
Apertura: presentación de agenda y de participantes
09h15-10h00
Informe general del I Foro Social Américas
10h00-11h30
Debate político:
a) La coyuntura y sus conexiones con el proceso Foro (a nivel
mundial y continental)
11h30- 11h45 Receso, café
11h45-13h00
Debate político:
b) Venezuela como sede del VI FSM y II FSA (visiones desde
el país y el continente)
13h00-14h00 Receso, almuerzo
14h00-16h00
El formato policéntrico: alcances de las definiciones comunes
mundiales; el espacio de lo regional. Implicaciones
metodológicas, temáticas y logísticas. Desafíos
16h00-16h15 Receso, café
16h15-18h15
Trabajo en comisiones/ grupos: insumos para un plan de
organización en metodología, contenidos, recursos,
comunicación, cultura...

Martes 26
09h00-10h00
Presentación de comisiones/ grupos..
10h00-11h00
Construcción de un primer esquema de plan
11h00-11h15 Receso, café
11h15-13h00
Acuerdos sobre contenidos, metodología, comunicación, cultura
13h00-14h00 Receso, almuerzo
14h00-16h00
La ‘arquitectura’ del Consejo Américas:
a) Roles, composición, reglas de funcionamiento, carácter y
sede de la Secretaría
16h00-16h15 Receso, café
16h15- 17h00
La ‘arquitectura’ del Consejo Américas:
b) Instancias organizadoras del Foro Caracas: Comité Américas
y Comité Venezuela. Mecanismos de interacción con el CI
17h00 Cierre

This comes directly from the email address of the "Secretariado Consejo Americas". I guess people interested in working on Caracas should get down to business and have at least one person registered on this list.

have a nice day
stéph

yan

Caracas 2006: new coordination

Postby yan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:41 am

[ES copia de un mensaje que mandé esta mañana]
[EN copy of a message I sent this morning]

ES, EN

ESPAÑOL:

INSIGNES COLEGAS!

hola,
vayan a:
http://lists.babels.org/mailman/listinfo/caracas06
e inscribanse a una lista de discusion para empezar a organizar el foro en Caracas en 2006. Aun no hay nadie en la lista. Envien este mensaje a todos los que esten interesados en ORGANIZAR y PROPONER un proyecto a todos los voluntarios Babels. (Es diferente de querer participar solo como interprete.)
Tambien escogan a 2 personas para encargarse de la gestión tecnica de la lista (la configuración técnica). De momento soy yo, pero tiene que ser otras personas.

Tambien saben que pueden utilizar el wiki para redactar un proyecto de manera colectiva. La direccion del wiki babels: http:// www . babels . org / wiki
Por favor no incluyan la direccion del wiki en una pagina publica para proteger el wiki de SPAM. [ven que aquí he 'ocultado' la direccion para que robots no puedan leer la direccion]

Me gustaria aprovechar este mensaje tecnico para decirles unas cosas:

-no quiero que me manden emails personales personas que no conozco. Yo solo escribo por email a personas que conozco personalmente. Si tengo algo que decir publicamente a los que no conozco, utilizo listas o pongo las cosas en el foro babels.

-no tengo el poder ni el deseo de escoger QUIEN va a Cuba. Esto lo tienen que decidir juntos todos los que quieren preparar el evento en Caracas. yo NO voy a participar en la organizacion del foro en Caracas, tengo que acabar mi doctorado de literatura. Pero saben que siempre pueden contar con mi apoyo tecnico y moral.

-estoy mandando este email a todas las personas que nombró Erica en un email que acabo de recibir. Lo hago por dos razones: visité la pagina de babels-rio@yahoo.groups.com.br que mencionaba y me parecio muy interesante.
i. Primero: tuvieron la buena idea de organizarse por lista de discusion. Bravo! Lo hubieran podido hacer con una lista dentro de babels, solo bastaba con pedirlo al grupo de trabajo técnico que se llama babels-tech@babels.org. Eso les hubiera evitado mucha publicidad.
ii. Segundo: parece ser que las personas en esa lista no reciben toda la informacion acerca de la crisis sobre Cuba/CH. Es decir, solo tienen una version de las discusiones: en vez de mostrar los emails de los que han criticado la manera en que se ha manejado esta crisis, se resumen los emails de manera un poco tendenciosa. Es inevitable cuando resumen un texto de alguien que no esta de acuerdo. Pero esto no ayuda a nadie a entender porque hubo una crisis.
Les sugiero tener mas cuidado y LEER lo que se propone/critica. Porqué nunca se habló de estas listas brasileñas a los demas en babels? Fue un error: tener listas cerradas y demasiado regionalistas solo ayuda a favorecer comportamientos paranoicos, y se pierde lo mas importante en una discusion: las opiniones de alguien que esta 'fuera' de todo, de un pais, de un idioma. En otras listas regionales de babels, siempre hay al menos una persona que esta 'fuera' del pais, y que participa de otro grupo. De esa manera, todos hacen que la informacion circule entre todos, y que todo funcione mejor.

-por ultimo, reitero mi opinion de babelista: no importa que sea Erica o Pedrito o Juanita quien vayan a Cuba. Para mi, lo que importa, no es la persona, sino el PROYECTO y lo que se propone.
Qué es lo que se va a proponer concretamente en Cuba? NADA, porque NO HAN DISCUTIDO las personas que estan interesadas en Caracas. Los de Uruguay, los de Colombia NO HAN sido contactados hasta recientemente acerca de esto. Tampoco sabemos lo que piensan los de Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Canada, el resto de los Estados Unidos (Leda Beck solo representa un pequeno grupo). Pero con las nuevas listas sobre caracas, podran discutir los que quieren de manera transparente y autonoma.
De momento, el proyecto ha sido secuestrado por una minoria. Y la minoria ni se ha dado cuenta que ha hecho eso!

Durante reuniones internacionales, se DECIDEN cosas importantes. En el caso de Cuba, es OBVIO de que la participacion de Babels en el proyecto y en los grupos de trabajo de Traduccion NO seran criticados. No se necesita a nadie en Cuba para que incluyan a Babels: yo creo que la participacion de Babels ya esta aceptada por la mayoria del Consejo. Si no se hizo para el FSM de manera formal, es porque una persona de otro grupo que Babels, pero que tambien era miembro a titulo personal de Babels, habia propuesto de encargarse de representar a Babels. De modo que SI habia una persona de babels en el grupo de trabajo Traduccion. Pero hubiera sido mejor tener dos, porque habia mucho trabajo!

Lo mas importante, no es estar en Cuba, es estar JUNTOS y ponerse de acuerdo sobre los detalles del proyecto que sera Caracas 2006. Erica se acordara de las reuniones previas a nuestra participacion en noviembre a las reuniones del Consejo Internacional en Porto Alegre. Estabamos casi todos los coordinadores para el FSM (20) reunidos en Porto Alegre, juntos para ponernos de acuerdo sobre lo que ibamos a negociar, proponer y aceptar. No veo como los representantes de un pequeño grupo en Brasil puedan proponer algo representativo para un proyecto que se organiza para todo el continente americano. No les parece absurdo?

Lo urgente no es ir a Cuba, lo urgente es empezar a organizarse en una coordinacion-proyecto Babels para poder proponer un proyecto a toda la red Babels para que todos puedan reaccionar, usando el foro, a las proposiciones de la coordinacion. Cada proyecto puede proponer una nueva manera de funcionar para evitar los errores del pasado, HAGANLO!
La coordinacion incipiente que se AUTO-organizara con la lista de discusion caracas06@babels.org puede escribir al Consejo Hemisferico y decirles: NO PODEMOS participar en esta reunion por motivos internos, pero SI PARTICIPAREMOS a la PROXIMA reunion. Por favor sigan informandonos de lo que necesitan, lo que decidieron etc. para que nosotros podamos proponerles un verdadero proyecto. Pueden pedirles que los incluyan en las listas de discusion del Consejo Hemisferico (vease la lista caracas06-listas@babels.org creada para *recibir* todos los mensajes del CH). Pidan que los incluyan al grupo trabajo traduccion. Estaran muy contentos.

Tienen 3 meses para organizarse correctamente y proponer un proyecto que pueda ser aceptable para toda la red. 'Toda la red' es mas que un grupo en Brasil de 150 personas. No somos una empresa dirigida por tres personas que deciden lo que vamos a comer. Sommos una red y todos tienen el derecho de expresarse y de PARTICIPAR a la organizacion de un proyecto. Si proponen un buen proyecto, todos estaran contentos y se superara esta crisis absurda.

Para que hablar de participar a reuniones si ni siquiera nos reunimos **nosotros**?
Usen la nueva lista, y diganles a todas las personas que estan intersadas en ORGANIZAR el foro de caracas de inscribirse y empezar a trabajar juntos!

La urgencia no es cuba, la urgencia es organizarse y estar juntos y no mostrarle al CH un grupo babels catastroficamente dividido. La PROXIMA reunion sera la buena, y Erica y/o cualquier otra persona ira, segun decidan ustedes juntos.

saludos
yan
para babels-tech, y tambien a titulo personal

PS: favor de mandar esto a la lista babels-rio. Gracias.

ENGLISH:

hi,
please go to:
http://lists.babels.org/mailman/listinfo/caracas06
and subscribe to a discussion list to start to organize the forum in Caracas in 2006. There is nobody on the list yet. Send this message to all those who might be interested in ORGANIZING and PROPOSING a project for all the Babels volunteers. (This is different from wanting to participate just as an interpreter.)
Also, please choose 2 people to manage the technical aspects of the list (the tehcnical configuration). For the moment, I'm doing it, but it has to be other people.
You also know that you can use the wiki to draft a collective document. The address of the babels wiki is: http:// www . babels . org / wiki
Please do not include the address of the wiki in a public web page to protect the wiki from SPAM. [You notice that I am 'obscuring' the address here so that robots cannot read it]

I'd like to take the advantage of this technical message to say a few things:

-I don't want to receive personal emails people I do not know. I only write personal emails to people I personally know. If I have something to say publicly to someone I do not know, I use lists or I put things on the babels forum.

-I don't have the power or the wish to choose WHO is going to Cuba. This must be done by all those interested in preparing the event in Caracas, they have to do it together. I will NOT participate in the organization of the Caracas forum, I have to finish my PhD in literature. But you know you can count on me for technical and moral support!

-I'm sending this email to all the people Erica named in the email I just received. I'm doing this for two reasons: I visisted the page for babels-rio@yahoo.groups.com.br she mentioned in her email and I thought it was very interesting.
i. first: you had the good idea of organizing yourselves around a discussion list. GOOD! You could have done this with a babels list, you only had to write to the workgroup in charge of the technical matters in Babels called babels-tech@babels.org. This would have avoided having advertisements.
ii. second: it seems that the people on this list do not receive all the information on the crisis on Cuba/the HC. In other words, they only have access to one version of the discussions: instead of showing the emails of those who have criticized the way in which this crisis has been handled, their emails are summarized somewhat tendentiously. It's inevitable when you try to summarize the text of someone who does not agree with you. But this doesn't help anyone understand WHY there was a crisis.
I suggest you be more careful and READ what is proposed/criticized. Why did nobody ever mention the Brazilian mailing lists to the others in Babels? That was a mistake: having closed and regional lists only helps breed paranoid behaviour, and one loses what's most important in a discussion: the opinions voiced by people who are from the 'outside', out of the country, using another language, part of another group. This way, by having 'outsiders', you help the flow of information, and everything works better.

-lastly, I repeat my opinion as a babelista: it doesn't matter whether it's Erica or John or Mary who go to Cuba. For me, what's important, is not who goes, but the PROJECT that you want to propose.
What are you going to propose in Cuba in concrete terms? NOTHING, because YOU DID NOT DISCUSS the project with the people who are interested in Caracas. The people in Uruguay, or Colombia WERE NOT contacted until recently for this. We still don't know what the people in Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Canada, the rest of the USA (Leda Beck only represents a small group). But with the new lists on Caracas, all those interested will be able to discuss in a transparent and autonomous fashion.
For the moment, the project is being hijacked by a minority. And it seems the minority doesn't even realize this!

During internacional meetings, important things are being DECIDED on. In the case of Cuba, it's OBVIOUS that the participation of Babels in the project and in the Translation workgroups will NOT be criticized. You don't need anyone in Cuba to include Babels: I believe the participation of Babels has been accepted by the majority of the Hemispheric Council. If it wasn't done formally for the WSF, it's because someone from another group than babels, but who was also a member of Babels on a personal basis, had proposed to represent babels. So there WAS one person from babels in the Translation workgroup. But it would have been better to have two people, because there was so much work!

The most important thing, is not to be in Cuba, but to be TOGETHER and to agree on the details of the project that you want for Caracas 2006. Erica will remember the meetings before our participation in November in the meetings of the International Council in Porto Alegre. Almost all the WSF coordinators were there (20 people) in Porto Alegre, together to agree on what we were going to negociate, propose and accept. I don't see how the representatives of a small group in Brasil can propose something representative for a project that concerns the whole of the American continent. Don't you think it's absurd?

What is urgent is not to go to Cuba but to start to get organized in a Babels project coordination to be able to propose a project for the rest of the Babels network so that everyone can react, using the forum, to the proposals made by the coordination. Each project can propose a new way of working to avoid past mistakes, DO IT!
The new coordination that will SELF-organize with the discussion list caracas06@babels.org can write to the Hemispheric Council and tell them: WE CANNOT participate in this meeting for internal reasons, but WE WILL participate in the NEXT meeting. Please keep us informed of what you need, of what you decided, etc. so that we can propose a real project. You can ask to be included in the discussion lists of the Hemispheric Council (see list caracas06-listas@babels.org: a list to *receive* all emails sent by the HC). Ask that you be included in the Translation workgroup. They'll be happy.

You have 3 months to organize yourselves correctly and propose a project that can be accepted by the rest of the network. 'the rest of the network' is more than a group of 150 people in Brazil. We are not a company directed by 3 people who will tell us what we're going to have for lunch. We're a network and everyone has the right to express her/himself and to PARTICIPATE in the organization of a project. If you propose a good project, everyone will be happy and this absurd crisis will be a thing of the past.

Why talk about participating in a meeting if we don't even agree between **ourselves**?
Use the new list, and tell all those who are interested in ORGANIZING the caracas forum to sign up to it and start working together!

What is urgent is not Cuba, what is urgent is to get your act together and to be together and not show to the HC a babels group horribly divided. The NEXT meeting will be productive, and Erica and/or anybody else will go, following whatever you decide together.

best
yan
for babels-tech, but also in my own name

PS: please forward this to the babels-rio list. Thanks.

Valentina Seguel

Postby Valentina Seguel » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:05 pm

Hola Leda es Valentina, te escribo para decirte lo decepcionada que me siento frente a esta situación. Lei tu mail donde dices que ya no vamos a ir a Cuba y me hace sentir mal puesto que he estado preparandome para ir a las conferencias, le he dicho a todo el mundo aqui lo importante de la labor que me corresponde como interprete venezolana y miembro activo de Babels,ya me habia comprometido con varias personas que conozco alla, en fin, toda una serie de cosas que habia estado planeando para este corto viaje a Cuba. Me siento desalentada porque tal y como tu ya habias dicho, ni Erika ni yo hemos sido elegidas o somos representantes o voceras de Babels, simplemente somos voluntarias. No entiendo el por qué de las rencillas y de los problemas de algunos babelitas para enteder lo importante de la situación. Si Babels quiere que se cree un movimiento aqui en Venezuela y queremos participar todos en la interpretación para el proximo Foro de las Americas que sera aqui, es casi imperante que asista un venezolano a esas conferencias, de otro modo como pretenden que podamos ayudar si ni siquiera vamos a estar presentes en las conferencias!, es  decir, es crucial que haya un venezolano en Cuba, asistiendo a las conferencias!!!!!!!!!. Si vamos a cubrir el evento de aqui de Caracas el año proximo, es urgente que estemos ahorita en la Habana viendo como va a ser el movimiento, informandonos de las cosas, de como va a ser todo, es decir prepararnos para comenzar a trabajar, pero si no estamos alli????, que va a pasar?, como desde aqui podemos nosotros ayudar????, creo que es una estupidez que no vayamos......creo que si de verdad quieren que Babels funcione aqui en Venezuela, y no solo eso, sino que además podamos cubrir el evento del 2006 aqui en Caracas, es necesario que asistamos a las conferencias del CH. De esa manera yo me comprometo a venir a Caracas con toda la información de como va a ser el Foro, reunir a los interpretes a través de la Escuela de Idiomas, pero sin información, sin participación??????, donde queda el entusiasmo??. Aqui la labor es muy ardua y todo seria mas facil para nosotros si definitivamente pudieramos asistir a las conferencias y asi informarle a todos aqui como son las cosas y a partir de eso comenzar a trabajar en la creación de la red de interpretes......no se, es mi opinión, creo que si debemos ir!!!!, es decir que otro venezolano va a asistir???, acaso algun babelita va a venir hasta Venezuela para informarnos todo lo que se habló en esas conferencias con respecto a la organización del próximo Foro?...No es mas justo y mas fácil que vaya un venezolano que participe, escuche, anote, ponga el oido y luego regrese a juntar a contar la experiencia , con conocimiento sólido de que es lo que se va a hacer, como va a ser la logistica del evento, etc, etc. Bueno, disculpa si me afane, pero es que yo ya habia organizado todo para viajar, hasta habia cuadrado las faltas aqui de mi universidad y ya todos en la escuela sabias que iba......no se, esto me parece estúpido, solo porque algunos sientan envidia o piensen que yo voy a representar a Babels???, por favor!!!!, si nisiquiera somos Babels!!!!, si nisiquiera hay Babels Venezuela!!!!, justamente de eso se trataba no?, de crear aqui la movida, pero de verdad con este tipo de problemas no veo como podemos hacer.

cristina saraiva

CH en La Habana

Postby cristina saraiva » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:27 am

Hola Valentina,
Entiendo tu decepcion, y creo que tienes razon. Pero algunas personas de Babels compreenderon las cosas de otra manera, y creyeron que era precipitado ir a La Habana en ese momento.
De mi parte, creo que es una lastima nuestra ausencia. Y los babelitos que hicieron las gestiones para ir a ese encuentro tienen todo mi apoyo.
Pero ahora, ya fué. Tenemos que mirar hacia adelante. Empezar a organizar el grupo que quiere participar de ese proyecto ( devemos nos inscrever en la lista que Yan abrió) , empezar a desarroiarlo y estarmos listos para la proxima reunion. Y, esta claro, ponernos en contacto con el CH para intentar hacer por email, lo que no pudimos hacer personalmente.
Y contamos contigo!
Un abrazo,
Cristina Saraiva
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

Cheo

Ch Havanna

Postby Cheo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:54 am

I truly understand Valentina's disappointment and dismay. It is always upsetting to see a project crumble to pieces. In this occasion it has been the result of a silly and sterile battle of personalities which should not ever take place again among babelit@s. Many of us, I am sure, are more than weary of accusing fingers and "righteous" wraths. I learn today that you're after all not going to the CH meeting in Havanna when only 3 days ago I had learnt that you two even had plane tickets waiting in some travel agency. One wonders how these things happen. Who pulls the strings. Opacity is still a sad key word in Babels. Silence can also be sometimes timely or untimely. Only yesterday did we learn that none of the Cuban babelit@s are actually interested in attending whatever meeting if it is not to be inside a booth and within a WSF event. Well, it's their right, isn't it?

As Yan rightly says, Babels is about projects, not about personalities, and since we now avail of a place to discuss Caracas 06. Let's do it from now. Cristina wisely suggests to squeeze the CH after the meeting for fresh info on their Havanna meeting. Nomad has to be involved from the very beggining. Do they read these posts? Having lived more than half my life in Venezuela, I'd really like to see Babels and Nomad working like a well oiled machine in Caracas. Never mind if I still don't know wether I'll be there or not, I'm ready to put a good string of hours on the pre production part of it, but I'll definitely not do it against a background noise of egotistic struggle for leadership. It is only natural that Babel's growth would eventually lead to a chain-link fence layout, and it's coming. There's no reason to get jumpy about the Babels' Who is Who; there should be room only for coordination, cooperation and, for once at last, transparency.

ES: Entiendo de verdad la desilusión de Valentina. Siempre fastidia ver cómo un proyecto se viene al suelo. En este caso ha sido a causa de una estúpida y estéril lucha de personalidades que no debería volver a producirse entre babelit@s. Estoy convencido de que muchos de nosotros estamos más que hartos de dedos acusadores y de iras "justicieras".

Hoy me entero de que al fin y al cabo no van ustedes a La habana, cuando hace apenas tres días había leido que hasta los billetes de avión las esperaban en no sé qué agencia de viajes. Uno se pregunta cómo suceden estas cosas. Quién tira de los hilos. La opacidad sigue a la orden del día en Babels. También el silencio puede ser oportuno o lo contrario según el caso. Recién ayer me entero de que ningun@ de los babelit@s cuban@s está interesado en participar en reunión alguna como no sea desde una cabina de interpretación y en el marco de algún evento FSM. Bueno, están en su derecho, supongo.

Yan dice acertadamente que Babels va de proyectos, no de personalidades. Ya que ahora disponemos de un foro para debatir el proyecto Caracas , hagámoslo desde ya.

Sensata, Cristina sugiere ponernos en contacto via e-mail con el CH para sacar información reciente sobre el asunto.

Nomad tiene que estar implicado desde el principio. Alguien de Nomad lee estas comunicaciones? Después de más de la mitad de mi vida en Venezuela, me interesa un montón ver a Babels y a Nomad funcionando al pelo en Caracas. Al margen de saber hoy por hoy si podré o no estar en Caracas para esas fechas, estoy dispuesto a ponerle muchas horas a la preproducción de esta historia, pero ni por asomo pienso hacerlo si es en un ambiente de forcejeos narcisistas por un supuesto liderazgo. Es lógico y natural que al crecer Babels fuese adoptando una configuración en malla, y así está ocurriendo. No hay por qué ponerse nervioso@s por saber quién sale en el Quién es Quién de Babels. En Babels sólo debe quedar espacio para la coordinación la cooperación, y, de una maldita vez, la transparencia.

monica

Postby monica » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:09 pm

Estimados amigos
Nos damos cuenta del Condicionante factor tiempo.Politicamente no es posible someternos a el sin cometer errores,asi que como ha dicho Yan, el equipo de voluntarios  Babels de cualquier parte del mundo que se quiera involucrar el el FSM Venezuela;debe primero:
-conformarse
-discutir y ponerse de acuerdo sobre el Proyecto
-definirlo y luego entrar en contacto con el CH y el CI
Son ellos quienes se pondran de acuerdo en nombrar a sus delegados;
Personalmente no puedo participar en la organizacion,lo cual no quiere decir que no los pueda apoyar desde Colombia en lo que necesiten.
A Valentina quiero decirle que muchos de los Babels Venezuela que fueron a POA estan interesados en participar y algunos han manifestado el deseo de ser "coordinadores" del proyecto.De acuerdo a la experiencia pasada,las coordinaciones se conforman y existen en torno a proyectos.Si no estamos involucrados en un proyecto,activamante,no veo porque debe haber coordinacion:En esto son claras las cubanas.No tiene porque haber coordinacion por paises.Basta con que haya babel@s en los distintos lugares del mundo,recordemos la horizontalidad.
Dejemos de lado a Cuba mientras se hace un proceso conforma a nuestra filosofia,abierto en el Foro,y transparente,sin listas cerradas ,y sin atribuirnos el poder de nombrar coordinadores aui o alli
Monica

Viviana Tipiani

Postby Viviana Tipiani » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:17 pm

EN

I’ ve got some ideas:
If we really want to reach as much people as possible – in order to ask if they want to participate in the new project Venezuela 06 why don’t we email everybody (in babels database, from the Americas, who can provide all emails ??) a part of Yan’s email?. In that way everybody will know there is a list, and they can freely choose and volunteer. This will be as I see it the first step towards “real opening”.

Valentina, creating a babels Venezuela will be a tough job if u will do it alone, I know that because of the experience of Gabriela here in Peru, but I don’t think going to the Cuba will be absolutely necessary to participate in the network or to really know how babels works (they will be discussing about others things, not exactly babels)-don’t take me wrong if you’re going it is still positive and a good experience for you and for us too. I will reserve other opinions because I think it wont help to go forwards.

There are points that need to be discussed,….i think we should start discussing about them

1.- Budget – if there will be another HC or IC meeting, can we use this solidarity fund and get two delegates to represent us, or from where can we get money?? Any suggestions, ideas? Funds from last Forums like in the case of the ESF.

2. Delegates or representatives- How are we re going to choose (if we want to choose) or agree on who is going to represent babels not just as interpreters but as voices to be heard.
I have some doubts here, we all agree that anybody can volunteer to do so, but at the same time when someone does it, we start with democracy principles and power struggles…and get lost in the whole discussion. Let’s put things clear now! As for me (im very flexible in my ideas) the principle of volunteering is basic for us, which may mean democracy is somehow out of question, or not?? My idea will be that people who like to attend need to clear this point in the project s/he is working in and it can be a rotary task, whenever one has time to go, s/he will go, and the next time somebody else will do it, if there is a lack of delegates then the ones who already were there, will if they want go again. What do u think about this? – I think this matter needs to be discussed not just in the list for Venezuela but needs to be stated for every future meeting in order to avoid what have happened.

ES

Tengo algunas ideas
Si realmente se quiere llegar al mayor numero de personas posibles para el proyecto Venezuela 2006¿ por que no se le manda un email a todas las personas de las americas de la base de datos de babels con una parte del mensaje de Yan?. Asi todos sabran que existe una lista y podran elegir libremente y ser voluntarios si asi lo desean. Este seria el primer paso hacia una verdadera “ apertura”

Valentina crear un Babels en Venezuela no va a hacer una tarea facil si estas sola, lo dijo por que conozco lo que paso nuestra querida Gabriela en Peru para hacerlo, pero no creo que ir a Cuba sea absolutamente necesario para participar en la red y para conocer a Babels (recuerda que no se va a discutir sobre Babels en la reunion sino sobre otros temas de organización general) no tomes este comentario a mal, si vas me parece un experiencia positiva y buena para ti y tambien para todos.
Voy a reservarme mis otras opiniones al respecto a este tema por que creo que debemos seguir adelante

Hay otros puntos que si necesitan ser discutidos, y creo que es hora de empezar!

1. Presupuesto, financiamiento: Si hay otra reunion del HC o IC, se puede usar el fondo de solidaridad y enviar a dos delegados para que nos representen o existe otra forma de conseguir fondos? Que opinan?? Fondos de foros pasados como sucedió en FSE

2. Delegados o representantes. Como se van a elegir (si se quiere elegir) o acordar quienes nos van a representar no solo como interpretes si no como la voz de babels
Tengo algunas dudas al respecto: Todos acordamos que deben ser voluntarios los que deben asistir no? pero al mismo tiempo si alguien lo hace, se empieza a especular, se habla de democracia y quien eligio a quien, y se siente una lucha de poder o imposición...en fin nos perdemos en la discusión. Vamos a aclarar las cosas de una vez. Para mi el principio de voluntariado es basico, lo que deja de cierta forma la democracia fuera de discusión, o no?? Una persona puede ser voluntaria y elegida por mayoria simple pero el proceso tomaria mucho tiempo y la verdad daria sensación de campaña política para las elecciones de....” Mi idea sigue siendo que la persona que este interesada en participar en alguna reunion, haga este deseo publico al grupo del proyecto en el que esta participando, y que esta tarea de delegados, sea una cuestion rotativa, cuando uno tenga tiempo asiste, la siguiente reunion da opcion a otro y si no existe otra persona mas pues se puede repetir. ¿QUÉ piensan de eso?. Esto se debe de aclarar no solo para Venezuela si no para los futuros proyectos y futuras reuniones, para evitar lo que esta pasando ahora.

En caso no se haya planteado el proyecto (como ahora) antes de la reunion para tener los puntos y posicion de babels en estos eventos, ¿¿¿pues uhmmm a aguantar las peleas como ahora??noooooo por favor no mas!!

Viviana

Return to “IC/CI - HC/CH - EPA/AEP”