how to translate esf/wsf texts

EN What is Transtrad? Translator to translator. Tools and tips for translation. Questions, problems, mutual help. ES ¿Qué es Transtrad? Entre traductor@s. Herramientas y consejos para traducciones. Preguntas, problemas, ayuda. FR Qu'est-ce que Transtrad ? Traducteurs-trices à Traducteurs-trices. Outils et conseils pour la traduction. Questions, problèmes, aide mutuelle.
miette

how to translate esf/wsf texts

Postby miette » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:14 am

hi members,

Recently I read on of the documents I translated (the ESF newsletter) and I found it rather different from my translation, more free, not so glued to the text, as I usually proceed in translating. I would like to know, if it is recommended to do a dynamic, more free and everydays-language adapted translation and using i.e. in german the informal "du" instead of the formal "sie" and modeling the text a bit into appropriate communicational methodslanguage according to the language and the type of text?.

I would like to know this for doing better work.
thanks a lot
ruth

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:17 pm

Hello,
well it depends! you can adapt your text and put it into an appropriate whatever type of language. The aim is to give back the sense of the original text in the most understandable way. If the text is very formal in english, leave it very formal in german, but if it isn't, make it less formal. If there are some words that don't have synonyms at the same language level, you can make the "informality" come out through other words. Do you see what I mean ?

madeirade

DU oder SIE?!

Postby madeirade » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:38 pm

hello miette,

the DU or SIE problem is essential and should have been figured out before having sent any document to a translator! I encountered the same problem, but finally decided to use DU. Later on though I got a quite formal document which I didn't want to translate using DU therefore I decided to use SIE - quite inconsistent I know.

I think there should be some basic rules for the translation into German ...

Elena

Postby Elena » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:19 am

We had the same discussion about Spanish not long ago and there are more languages that have equivalent pronouns to du/tú and Sie/usted. I completely agree with you, there should be rules for the translation of texts.

kaazour

Postby kaazour » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:04 pm

I would appreciate if someone can send me an example of ESF text and translation

Return to “TransTrad”